How's the mobility 9700 overclock?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by zsouthboy, Feb 6, 2005.

1. zsouthboy

Regular

I haven't even tried it yet, because I figure the vid bios is probably clock locked.... but if anyone has done it, is it worth it? IIRC the desktop 9600 (which the mobility 9700 is based on) overclocks quite nicely.

Still missing the extra 4 pipes from my desktop machine.

2. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Mobility 9700 is manufactured with low k, unlike the Mobility 9600s I believe. I've seen overclocks in the 550-600Mhz core range. RAM is very limiting on the notebooks though and usually maxes out well before 300Mhz.

My M9600 overclocks from 300Mhz to 430Mhz or so. It's really impressive. If you got up to 550Mhz I bet those missing 4 pipelines would be much less of an issue :) Though RAM bandwidth is just a bummer in the notebooks.

3. ondaedg

Regular

I have an eMachines 6805 with the radeon 9600 in it and it overclocks extremely well. Up to about 430 mhz I believe. Makes a huge difference in games when you overclock it.

4. swaaye

Legend

I have a 6805 too. The overclocks I mentioned were on it. Pretty decent machine!

BTW, a wonderful forum for notebook info (overclocking included) is http://notebookforums.com/

5. zsouthboy

Regular

Looks like i get instant corruption when I oc the memory on my inspiron 9200, but the core is up to 520 and rising (using ATItool)

EDIT: looks like i got average stable clocks, 550/300... ah well.. every little bit helps.

6. ondaedg

Regular

That is a pretty cool forum. Thanks!

7. swaaye

Legend

This are excellent clocks. You should be happy with that memory speed especially. I think it's the highest I've seen.

8. zsouthboy

Regular

I think I'm going to have to back the memory down a few mhz still though.... it hits a hard wall at 307mhz, and I've noticed that I get a pretty little bad texture reads (pixels, say, on the floor, turn a nice rainbow/random color) every once in a while at 300.