How would you react when the PSX3 spec reads 240~480 GFLOPS?

At this point, it is 99% certain that the PSX3 will not reach 1 TFLOPS, that honor is reserved for upcoming quad-core CELL server chip costing a couple thousand dollars a piece as clearly stated in Suzuoki's patent application. What you will see in your PSX3 is a single or dual-core EE3 and GS3 that will claim 240~480 GFLOPS in theoretical peak performance, much much less in real life.

So what would be your reaction when the actual PSX3 spec sheet read 240~480 GFLOPS instead of 1 TFLOPS as you are currently expecting?

qcomp_research_big.jpg

We thank SUN engineering tech James Gorremans for the following link to IBM's own PR Web site, clearly showing one of their researchers doing his quantum computations on a SUN workstation.
:oops:

So what would be your reaction when the actual PSX3 spec sheet read 240~480 GFLOPS instead of 1 TFLOPS as you are currently expecting?

Oh you mean the fact that Okamoto said that PS3 would have 1TFLOPS over-all power? Look it up in the July 2003 EGM if you want kid.

At this point, it is 99% certain that the PSX3 will not reach 1 TFLOPS, that honor is reserved for upcoming quad-core CELL server chip costing a couple thousand dollars a piece as clearly stated in Suzuoki's patent application.

:LOL:

And we all know you know everthing, go back to teamxbox.

DeadmeatGA - you are like a stuck record playing the same song over and over again. Why don't you give it a rest before you get 'asked' to leave by everyone else.

My first reaction would be how on earth people think 240-480 gigaflops would be a BAD thing even in 2005. Then I would go "oh horrors, just what could they possibly do with such scalable architecture while they move on through advanced processing and refinement."

Then I would go, "who the hell cares about mega/giga/tera/petaflops--what GAMES am I getting?"

Oh you mean the fact that Okamoto said that PS3 would have 1TFLOPS over-all power? Look it up in the July 2003 EGM if you want kid.
Okamoto said CELL, and not PSX3, will do 1 Teraflops. And this is certainly possible with that 4-core chip priced a couple thousands each. But you CANNOT get that in your PSX3. The economics of semiconductor fabrication does not permit it, or you would be seeing IBM scrapping BG/L and BG/Cyclops in favor of CELL.

BMW claims the new 5-series will be capable of upto 500 HP and this is true, only if you order one in $80,000 M5 package. The rest of world drives 184 HP 525...

I will tell you what is going to happen next year. Kutaragi Ken is going to hold a press conference holding the world's first 1 TFLOPS chip in his hand, the massive 440 mm2 quad-core CELLServer(TM) chip, then say that the PSX3 will share same "technology" with this CELLServer(TM). The tiny print in the corner of press release material reads PSX3 rating as 240~480 GFLOPS.

The classic bait and switch.

Nope, the quote from EGM clearly states "Okamoto said the console would be capable of one trillion floating point operations per second"

Go check it out.

Are you deducting that EGM is lying?

Let's get a few things straight here.

1. You don't know shit about Cell.

2. Your a rabid Xbox/PC fanboy who is scared of Cell

3. Everytime you get proved wrong in your topics you go on and make a new one

4. Who are you to say what Sony can and cannot do?

5. There was no price issued to Broadband engine in the patent, stop pulling shit out of your ass(as usual)

The patent says that 4 PE's can be used in a server, it never says FIGURE 6; which is a BROADBAND ENGINE and 4 Visualizers which are connected. Ever take a look at the figure 6 diagrams anytime? Smells like a game console.

I am of the opinion, despite my personal belief that the PS3 will be significantly weaker than all the Sony fans claim it will be, that this topic was set up as a deliberate flaimbait. As such, I am requesting that the mods lock this before it gets too nasty, (because it will).

this topic was set up as a deliberate flaimbait.
No it is not. This is a legimate question; did Kutaragi and SCEI even claim that PSX3 was going to do 1 TFLOPS? Or are we the victim of media's self-conclusive assumption???

The law of physics and semiconductor manuafuring economy states that 1 TFLOPS for $399 by 2005 is impossible, or you would be seeing DoD purchasing the first 1,000 PSX3s for $399,000+tax, hook them up, and hire some ex-PSX2 developers to create the world's first PETAFLOP supercomputer, bye bye to IBM and Cray. What is the truth???

That was not your question. You said:

...which I believe was meant as flamebait. You can say whatever you want after this, but I'm done. I don't feel like giving this thread any more legitimacy.

And I would like to remind you that the feds actually fell for the PSX2 hype and put it on the export-control list the last time, so I am sure the DoD will be the first customer in line to pick PSX3 up if it was really possible to build a supercomputer out of PSX3.

or you would be seeing DoD purchasing the first 1,000 PSX3s for $399,000+tax, hook them up, and hire some ex-PSX2 developers to create the world's first PETAFLOP supercomputer, bye bye to IBM and Cray. What is the truth???
The "truth" (accoring to you) is that DoD would just have to buy first 2-4 thousand of consoles (instead of one thousand) and make a first PETAFLOP supercomputer.

Oh, and shut up already, please. I'd be surprised if there's a single person on this board who can stand you anymore.

cthellis42 said:
My first reaction would be how on earth people think 240-480 gigaflops would be a BAD thing even in 2005. Then I would go "oh horrors, just what could they possibly do with such scalable architecture while they move on through advanced processing and refinement."

Then I would go, "who the hell cares about mega/giga/tera/petaflops--what GAMES am I getting?"

I think this hits the nail right on the "DMGA head". :D

Didn't they put the G4 on the export control list, too? Since when has THAT been something momentous? Just showed the feds had to update their frickin' operating manual.

The way I see it DMGA is just keep the SONY/CELL/PS3 hype machine in check ;)

Apparently the only ones being scorched by his posts are the ones who feel a need to attack him because they can't come up with a valid rebuttal. :LOL:

I'd be slightly dissapointed with the transistor real estate of end of decade gpus... with yrs of R&D... this would not bode well... or maybe they seriously screwed up...

No it is not. This is a legimate question; did Kutaragi and SCEI even claim that PSX3 was going to do 1 TFLOPS? Or are we the victim of media's self-conclusive assumption???

The initial claim was 1000x perf... now most assume it's generally/overall... for a literal 1000x would be rather TOO impressive...

The law of physics and semiconductor manuafuring economy states that 1 TFLOPS for $399 by 2005 is impossible, or you would be seeing DoD purchasing the first 1,000 PSX3s for $399,000+tax, hook them up, and hire some ex-PSX2 developers to create the world's first PETAFLOP supercomputer, bye bye to IBM and Cray. What is the truth???

Nothing is impossible.

Back