How to view all files on a HDD in OSX mountain lion?

Discussion in 'Unix, Mac, & BSD (3D)' started by Grall, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Seems I am not seeing some, possibly most of my system drive's contents using finder and I don't understand why. Presumably this change started after installing mountain lion, I'm not sure. In any case it's damn irritating, as I need to delete a particular folder and I can't do that if I can't even see it on the drive... *sigh*

Apple, fuck you. Seriously.

2. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Definitely sounds like a user error ;)

No behavior change coming all the way from 10.4 to 10.8, except that the user ~/Library/ has been hidden by default.

If you want to unhide it type the following in Terminal:

Code:
    chflags nohidden ~/Library/
    Otherwise you can hold down ALT while selecting the Go menu in Finder and it should be revealed. To reveal all hidden files you can type the following in Terminal.

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

#2 Pressure, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2012
  3. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

or open a terminal and use ls -la or du

4. zed

zed
    Veteran

Now anyone know, how to show all files except .DS_Store

5. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Can't be done in Finder unless you only browse around in Terminal ;)

6. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

sudo rm -R ./.DS_Store ?
    Just kidding!!

7. zed

zed
    Veteran

yeah Finder is a piece of junk, buggy eg resize window and watch the icons disappear, resize the icons and watch them disppear etc
    - how to delete certain files in the trashcan? not posible easily on mac

though theres been improvements lately
    maximize window button works (yada yada)
    option z, undoes last thing

actually this reminds me of a question (either windows or mac)

how can I find all unique files on the HD?
    eg
    find -unique grass.jpg

i.e. when theres the same file but in multiple places it only returns the first one it finds (*).
    The reason I want this is cause with my games I often have the same gfx/sounds in multiple places (including backups)
    thus a search often returns 10,000 files but only 100 unique ones (but Ive gotta page down through all the copies to get to these unique ones)

(*)sure it mightnt be perfect i.e. skipsome files but if the file is called the same & has the same number of bytes, creation date etc then its likely to be the same

8. Davros

Legend

9. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

Well Mac OS is like Unix/Linux desktops, i.e. a crappy graphical interface on top of Unix stuff that makes bearded geeks drool.
    So I'd google a bash script that does that kind of thing. There exists deduplication scripts even (deleting all redundant files and replacing then with symlinks instead) but a "read-only" one, doing the thing you want, woulld be very worthy.

BTW from the terminal, du -hs /path/folder should gives you the space a directory and its sub-directories and files occupy, and the "find" command, as weird as it is, can be a useful tool at least to list all the dreaded files.

Then, I wonder if running a unixy file manager is useful (with X11 server). pcmanfm is a great and lightweight file manager for Unix/Linux.

Or even, is there a 3rd party file manager for OSX?
    In the short while I used Windows 7, I was pissed by the file manager, with its wasted space and useless blue toolbar I can't remove, I found Cubic Explorer back then which was good.