How to underclock GPUs

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Though mentioned in the other thread, those who know might not look there. How can I downclock GPU's to run slower and cooler? Specifically an ATi X1600. Does the Catalyst allow for underclocking as well as overclocking?

well the slider usually goes both ways, and if catalyst isn't enough you have many stuff to try (atitools, ati tray tool, rivatuner). only thing I would recommend is not settings low things like 100/100MHz, it might get weird and unstable, don't ask me why.

I tried ATI Tray Tool last night, but the installer just popped open a blank CLI window and vanished. Is that 'coz I've only got a 9600 fitted at the moment? I grabbed the latest Catalyst's prior to Tray Tools.

use atitool or rivatuner, alternatly you can problably make yourself a custom bios if you plan on keeping it lower for an extended period.

well the slider usually goes both ways, and if catalyst isn't enough you have many stuff to try (atitools, ati tray tool, rivatuner). only thing I would recommend is not settings low things like 100/100MHz, it might get weird and unstable, don't ask me why.

I'd really like to know why. I've locked up my computer several times from trying to find the lowest possible settings for underclocking whereas I rarely lock it up on the overclock though. Very ironic!

I like to use AtiTool for my auto over/underclocking needs. On start up it automatically sets it to the underclock settings. On 3D applications it automatically overclocks to the the overclock settings. Very efficient and clean.

There are usually lower limits for clock as well as upper limits.

What you want is not only to drop clocks though, what would really pay off in your case is to lower voltages to GPU and memory. Do google searches for "x1600" and "voltage modding" or even "pencil trick". If you're lucky, you might find how to drop drive voltages directly, otherwise you may have to do some minor research on your own (or write the author of an overclocking article).

Latter generations of GPUs typically have drive voltages and power consumption pushed very high for competitive reasons, and the fact that it costs the manufacturer almost nothing to do so. Turning that around, in general lowering drive voltages pays off hugely in terms of power draw, and frequencies don't have to be lowered much (or even at all) to accomodate it.

I never had much luck with this. Things always got unstable on the ATI cards I had to try.

Hmm.
It could be your method. Many chips are used for mobile purposesat lower voltages, and there dynamically lower voltages both in use, and under battery vs. mains powering, so it should typically work fine.

Have to admit, I only have a single personal experience with this - handy examples are typically lacking (as opposed to increasing the voltages), and I tend to go with lower power designs to start with. I'd be perfectly willing to experiment with my G71 chip though. :)

There is a difference between static and dynamic memory. Most big and fast chips nowadays use dynamic memory for just about everything. Dynamic memory is cheap in transistor usage, but pretty bad at remembering stuff: you need to refresh the memory very often. The charge runs out, fast.

If you downclock to below that refresh limit, the chip is rapidly losing the values in it's memory, like the registers. So, it forgets what it did last clock cycle.

Back