How to monitor what app connects to what/where/when server? A firewall? open source, for windows 10

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by orangpelupa, Jul 5, 2020.

1. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Preferably can be installed on W10 without using VM. I googled around and i cant find any that can be installed on windows. like Pfsense, untangle, opnsense, etc all needs VM.

thank you

2. MfA

MfA
    Legend

3. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

4. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Sorry forgot to post my result

1. Resmon.exe can list the connection to what domains or ip address
    2. In the end I use simple firewall

5. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Wireshark has been around forever and has a Windows version. I've not used Wireshark for quite a few years but was a heavy user at one time. Of course, the downside to any monitoring tool running in the same OS as the program you wish to monitor, is if that program is deliberately trying to conceal it's network activity, there are ways to do this. Applications do not have to use the OS TCP/IP stack.

If this is the situation then an external device is what you may need. Some routers let you monitor traffic, otherwise a cheap RaspberryPi as a router/gateway monitor can be setup inexpensively.