How to enter the Bios windows 10

zed

Legend
I've been into the BIOS many times before with windows 10 (by pressing 'F2' when the PC starts up) now that doesnt work any more (prolly the last time I was in the Bios was a couple of months ago)

Note the following does not work, I dont have UEFI set, instead I'm using legacy boot

https://datarecovery.wondershare.co...e-when-you-cant-enter-bios-in-windows-10.html
I've been trying all week, but feel since its saturday I've got the day off that Im gonna take the time out and solve it today, just spent half an hour multiple reboots pressing esc,f2,f10,del
Googling etc to find info to get into the Bios, I have no idea what has happened, has a windows 10 update somehow stopped my ability to enter the Bios? This is ridiculous.

What is a failsafe method to enter the Bios

Silly question but you are sure you are pressing the right key to enter the BIOS?

Do you have a keyboard that requires you to press something like the "F-lock" on my Logitech? Without pressing that most of my keys don't work during boot and I can't enter the BIOS without pressing it first.

If that doesn't work try disconnecting your windows disk. The BIOS should throw some error and allow you to enter the BIOS.

I can't get in to my bios either, but my board recognizes when I hit the "del" key to enter bios and then just shows a happy blinking cursor until I reboot.

I think it's just a dying mobo, but if anyone has got any ideas I figure I'll piggy back along this thread and see what comes up. ;)

Silly question but you are sure you are pressing the right key to enter the BIOS?
I've tried several, but from a google asrock motherboard is F2

Do you have a keyboard that requires you to press something like the "F-lock" on my Logitech? Without pressing that most of my keys don't work during boot and I can't enter the BIOS without pressing it first.
Dont think so, though I have a http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g105-gaming-keyboard the thing is I've gotten into the bios before with this keyboard

If that doesn't work try disconnecting your windows disk. The BIOS should throw some error and allow you to enter the BIOS.
Thats actually a good idea, I'll try that tomorrow in the daylight

Do you have a PS/2 keyboard to try instead?
hmm well mine is USB, but like I mentioned above I was able previously to enter the bios with this keyboard

You might also want to try disconnecting all USB devices and make sure your keyboard is plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

If none of that works then the only thing I can think of is resetting the BIOS.

If nothing is working, you can try simulate a boot error.. power on the pc, and power off the PSU immediately then before it boot on windows ( with the button on the back of the PSU ). normally the bios will show you an "Overclock fail message, Hit "xx" key for enter bios. This said, this will reset your bios setting to safe mode.

Zed, try disabling fast boot: https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/ans.../~/windows-10:-enable-or-disable-fast-startup (but disable instead of enable).

Fast boot causes the maching to hibernate on shutdown instead of actually shutting down. Most BIOSes won't interfere when a machine is woken up from hibernation and thus more or less options are disabled.

Experienced this myself, I could enter the BIOS but could not bring up my Boot Selection menu to get into my Ubuntu install.

In my case disabling fast boot adds 3-5 seconds to boot time (login prompt visible).

Cheers

Back