How to destroy (what's left) of Iraq in one easy step

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
http://www.jewishsf.com/bk030425/i20a.shtml

Became a supporter of Isreal.

JERUSALEM -- A peace treaty with Israel will be "top of the agenda" for a new Iraqi government, according to the New York Observer newpaper.

Quoting State Department sources, the paper said Iraqi National Congress head Ahmed Chalabi, who is favored by the Pentagon to lead a post-Saddam Hussein Iraq, "is known to have discussed Iraq's recognition of the state of Israel."

U.S. intelligence sources also told the newspaper that Chalabi and other senior INC figures are understood to be involved in talks with Washington and Jerusalem over the construction of an oil pipeline from Mosul to a terminal in Haifa.

<snip>

The paper noted that the resuscitation of the old pipeline would transform economic power in the region, bringing revenue to Iraq, cutting out Syria, solving Israel's energy needs, and reducing domestic energy costs by more than 25 percent. It would also create an easily accessible source of oil for the United States.

A former senior CIA official was quoted as saying that "it has long been a dream of a powerful section of the people now driving this administration and the war in Iraq to safeguard Israel's energy supply as well as that of the United States.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear, as a member of the ruling council, what a way to get yourself assassinated :?

The bit about pipeline has come up several times. IMO, they would need to put guard posts 5 yards within each other along it's length.

The pipeline also doesn't make economic sense. Its a long pipeline, selling into a market (The mediteranean) that already has a number of pipelines/players that would drive the price down.

Wouldn't said pipeline cut transportation costs? It is also my understanding the goal is to create a terminal that would then be used for distribution of Iraqi oil to Europe and US?

There's already oil flowing out of Turkey, Jordan, etc. What makes you think that another oil pipeline going a further distance would be cheaper?

(Not even considering the aforementioned security problems)

RussSchultz said:
There's already oil flowing out of Turkey, Jordan, etc. What makes you think that another oil pipeline going a further distance would be cheaper?

(Not even considering the aforementioned security problems)

By the same toke, in the Persian Gulf there oil flowing from pretty much everywhere. I though it would be cheaper to transport since it will cut oversea route and I assume that transportation via pipeline is cheaper then via a tanker.

Certainly shutting down the Syrian pipeline would create the need for a new one... Not sure that was a good idea...

Back