How to change DPI for one program (windows 10)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by zed, May 2, 2020.

1. zed

zed
    Veteran

Pulling my hair out on this, theres bugger all info on the internet about it.
    Theres info but its very badly explained

I run windows at 150% which suits most things
    Unreal engine is an exception, its toylike design just screams make me smaller, Im constantly moving windows around cause 4k aint enuf (Epic must run the thing on 8k monitors I assume) how can I run this program (and only this program at 125%)

cheers zed

#1 zed, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
  2. Davros

Legend

3. zed

zed
    Veteran

Thanks, all well and good, but I assume that scales everything to 125%. So if I'm flicking between 2 apps, one at 150% and one at 125% then it wont work
    Surely MS a trillion dollar company has solved this issue

4. Davros

Legend

You want the moon on a stick

5. DmitryKo

Regular

DPI scaling factor is a per-display setting in Windows 10. There is no way to set DPI scaling for each individual window - rather legacy applications (Win32 User/GDI) have to be programmed to query DPI settings and scale their controls and fonts accordingly.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsde...ktop-applications-windows-10-creators-update/
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...pi-desktop-application-development-on-windows
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5990-change-dpi-scaling-level-displays-windows-10-a.html

#5 DmitryKo, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    pharma, Malo and BRiT like this.
  6. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Sounds like he'll need a dedicated monitor for each app. :p

7. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

IIRC there used to be a different setting that allows old apps (like photoshop and unreal) to run at different scaling than windows and new apps (UWP and new win32 apps). I can no longer find the option tho. Maybe it was removed?

8. DmitryKo

Regular

You cannot override the scaling factor defined in per-monitor (or global) system settings. You can only change the upscaling mode with Override high DPI scaling behavior setting on each apllication's Compatibility tab (since version 1703).

Or rather one monitor which can accomodate all applications. Those big-screen 4K UHD monitors look great for GUI scaling, and a few of them support HDR10.

#8 DmitryKo, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
    TheAlSpark and BRiT like this.