How to boost your Doom3 performance by 40% on ATI hardware

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Humus, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Ruined

Regular

Nice, so jvd misquoted you to attempt to prove his point. Heh.

2. burningrave101

Newcomer

What EXACTLY are you trying to prove here? lol

ID Software and nVidia chose HardOCP to do the PREVIEW of a D3 demo.

And brent didn't do a Far Cry 1.2 patch analysis because of the fact i dont think he was even around when the rest of the reviewers got it. I distinctively remember him going on vacation or something and i talked to him on the forum when he got back and he said he was looking over it.

There also wasn't much point in reviewing it considering over a dozen other sites did the same thing and it would be better to wait for a final release.

Now the 1.2 patch was pulled and we wont know what it will be like in terms of performance until it re-releases.

But in other words, i dont remember him ever saying HardOCP wasn't going to review it till it was released to the public.

The D3 preview last year was an exclusive. The Far Cry SM 1.2 patch analysis was exclusived nearly to death. And since brent got back after they were already out, i dont blame him at all for not wanting to waste his time reviewing a pre-released 1.2 patch when they could just wait and review the publically released version.

3. pxc

pxc
    Newcomer

He quoted an old post. Humus made 2 changes after that.

The final one from late last night is very close performance-wise in all resolutions I tested: 1600x1200U/1600x1200H/1024x768H/800x600M/640x480L, +/- 2fps. The lower resolutions gain speed, the higher resolutions lose speed.

I don't get how some people "know" there are any shader replacements in the NV40 drivers for Doom3. It's like they pulled it out of thin air and managed to convince themselves it's true. :roll:

NVShaderPerf easily shows why performance changes when the shader changes. :lol:

4. snookums

Newcomer

5. Toxic66

Newcomer

In regards to a lot of the earlier posts (and yes, this has probably been stated). Perhaps it does degrade IQ in trade for performance. But ultimately, it’s our decision to implement it into D3. If you don’t like it, don’t use it.

6. DarN

Regular

Makes no difference at all here.

7. jvd

jvd
    Banned

HEy i was only quoting what you said . you never mentioned anything about pow functions in your post

8. jvd

jvd
    Banned

i think it would only slow it down

9. Star_Hunter

Newcomer

I tried it via testing in timedemos and I saw no difference at all... might be possible it could do something in game though. Right now I would say that it either does nothing/hurts performance and you might as well leave it on.

10. BetrayerX

Newcomer

First my system specs:
    P4 2.4 @ 3.2
    512MB DDR
    WinXP SP2
    Radeon 9700 @ 385/630
    Cat 4.9Beta

I did a small test first using the original interaction.vfp file then later with the latest Humus tweak. Theare are 4 tests for each vfp : Game Control Panel, Driver Control Panel Quality, Driver Control Panel Performance, and 0 anisotropic.

Antialiasing was Off, Tests were done at 1024 * 768 with HQ settings AND shadows, VSync was off. Results are the ones in the 2nd run.

I made a table with the numbers and also did a few graphics comparing different modes. I hope this might help in the discussion.

Click here for the Excel file:
    2-3fps :roll: Bleh!

11. dream caster

Newcomer

:D :lol:

A refreshing change for all the rants and trash!

12. Thinice

Newcomer

Please may I ask why it is that I seem to be the only one that has edited the file exactly the way it states above and still get a black room in Timedemo Demo and in the game, im not sure what I am doing wrong here:
    I am running a ATI 9800XT card with 4.7 drivers loaded and using DirectX C

TimeDemo Demo1 at:
    1024 x 1280
    Full Detail
    Shadows Off
    Card settings to Highest Quality

FPS: 21Fps in busy areas and about 60 in others and then 30 in others yet again

HELP PLEASE

13. ballista23

Newcomer

WinRAR Freezing up?

Ok I try to change the interaction file it says that this file has changed do you want to save? I click yes and bam it freezes. Also if I try to add the interaction file that freezes as well. I'm using version 3.3 shareware. Anyone have any suggestions? oh by the way I'm getting like 20 to 25 FPS with an HP computer with a 2G celeron, 512 MB of crucial ram, and get this a 9200SE 128mb PCI card, with slight overclocking on the 9200 core clocked to 265 from 200 and the memory 175 from 165. to bad it has crap memory and can't be clocked any higher.

14. carpediem

Regular

Re: WinRAR Freezing up?

Give it a few minutes... the entire pak file needs to be saved and that could take a up to few minutes.

You don't really need to do the changes inside the pak file though. Just have the interaction file in base\glprogs\interaction.vfp and it will be loaded with higher priority than the one inside the pak file.

15. carpediem

Regular

Try turning off V-Sync, or enable tripple buffering. If you're ok with some tearing, turning off V-Sync is the "safest" way.

16. Thinice

Newcomer

Sorry forgot to mention that VSync is off

I noticed that as soon as I remove this line:
    POW R1, specular.x, specExp.x;

even though this one:
    # TEX R1, specular, texture[6], 2D;

remains # out - the black room effect does not occur

It looks like the placement of this line is the problem, can some one verify that this is th right location for it:

# perform a dependent table read for the specular falloff
    # TEX R1, specular, texture[6], 2D;
    POW R1, specular.x, specExp.x;

17. Inglo

Newcomer

Why don't you just create a pk4 file for this tweak?

Take this file:
    http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/temp/doom3PerformanceTweak.rar
    Open it with WinRAR, go to Tools>Convert Archive, hit compression, change to zip, click OK, then OK.
    Rename the new zip file something that starts with z_, change the extension to PK4 and put the new, for example, z_humus.pk4 into your doom3/base folder.

18. Thinice

Newcomer

Thanks wil give it a go

19. SilentEarth

Newcomer

Boosted my score from 34.4fps to 38.4fps @ 1600x1200 ultra settings. Not bad at all. Good work!

20. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    Yes, I wondered if he came with his own AGP or PCI connector. More frightening was wondering where his VGA socket was located.