How to boost your Doom3 performance by 40% on ATI hardware

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Humus, Aug 8, 2004.

1. thegrommit

Newcomer

how about editing your previous posts and replacing the huge inline screenshots with links? :?

Follow Occam. :wink:

2. thop

thop Great Member
    Veteran

The flashlight is a tad brighter in the original image. You can see that in the cone of the flashlight and also in the shinyness of the roof. Surely not noticeable in actualy gameplay though.

3. Ruined

Regular

Yeh that's what I was referring to, probably not noticable but there does appear to be a difference.

4. thop

thop Great Member
    Veteran

Rev, it sounds like JC isn't too happy about it. I'd say post your thoughts AND the mail :D

5. Ruined

Regular

Yeh heh I'd like to see both mail + interpretation, though I don't think Rev's comments necessarily implied unhappiness.

6. Scott_Arm

Legend

Yah

Definitely post it in a new topic, and include the email from JC if he doesn't mind. Would be interesting to know what he thinks, since I've never really heard about consumer shader modifications being done on a game before.

7. davea

Newcomer

done

8. Reverend

Banned

I'm gonna turn most of my email correspondences with JC (pertaining to timedemo, Ultrashadow, HDR floats, rendering paths and this experiment by Humus... I believe I've posted some of the emails from JC wrt to these topics in the forums, scattered as they may be) into an "unofficial" interview. Need to decide what parts of JC's emails to me to include and what to discard... don't want him to think that the intention behind my email correspondences with him is to do exactly what this post is about i.e. an "unofficial" interview! Pissed him off once before, don't want to do that again!

Sorry... I know you guys are interested and curious what JC writes to me... but hopefully you'll understand why I'd rather make an interview (hey, why do you think we just upgraded the server!!).

9. rainz

Veteran

Post it i'm curious as hell ! :twisted:

RainZ

10. Spaceman-Spiff

Regular

Thanks for the tweak, Humus :)

It would be great if you edit the first topic too to that fix, since a lot of people coming from other site's links won't read the whole thread like I did. (i was bored :p)

11. logen999

Newcomer

i missed like 7 pages of this thread. just wanted to know the kind of performance improvements i would be seeing on a R3xx card.

too bad i beat the game already :p

edit: this should be on rage's front page :?

12. hmmm

Newcomer

I want to know his thoughts, but I also don't want to burn bridges such that we don't learn his thoughts in the future.

I'd say run it by him before posting anything of his.

13. Legion

Regular

out of curiosity couldn't you make another Pk file in succession (ie pk005.pk4) which could overide previous settings? This would prevent you from having to edit the original pack file...

14. Hellbinder

Banned

Did he read this on his own or did you point him to it?

15. Cat

Cat
    Newcomer

Just place the new interaction.vfp in the directory base/glprogs. Files not in pak files but with the same directory structure override pak'd files.

16. logen999

Newcomer

so just copy the glprogs folder into the base dir?

17. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

I ran a couple timedemos and played the game for a while with the tweaked shader.

I'm running the game on my emachines 6805 notebook (look down at sig).

1024/Medium/Normal/no AF/2nd run

1024/Medium/Humus/no AF/2nd run

Oh yeah, stunning huh? But wait.....I noticed that with Humus' shader, I hit triple digit numbers right before the flashlight came on in the timedemo. Without his shader, I don't break 70 there. It also seems smoother in general. It seems the fog/smoke really kills the 9600, partly I imagine because of the extremely limited RAM bandwidth.

BY FAR the most amazing result of his shader is that I can now turn on 8X AF with very little performance hit. This is a massive improvement over the original situation where I disable AF entirely because of its performance hit.

So, although I may not be gaining much in average framerate, I am getting higher general framerates, depending on what's going on around me (fog), and I can jack up AF and enjoy much crispier images. I tested this with IMAGE_ANISOTROPY 0 and 8.

Actually, I'm now using gl_linear_mipmap_nearest for bilinear filtering along with 8X Performance AF from the Control panel. It seems to look better than the game's IMAGE_ANISOTROPY setting's results and it's definitely faster. Someone else mentioned this earlier, and it seems to be true.

18. Cat

Cat
    Newcomer

Yes, that would work. But you only need the interaction.vfp in that folder.

19. Legion

Regular

has anyone found out how to unlock the fps limitation?

20. Reverend

Banned

Asked about this before I even refreshed this page, and John emailed me :

I'm happy, so too, I assume, are you guys :) .