How serious is this

I think it's serious if it passes in it's current form. Will it pass? Probably not. The House of Representatives was hostile to it a while back...and Intel is leading a fight against it. Apple and RedHat are also against such a bill.

The media industry seems to have written a "wish list" of things that they want, hoping that they will get *SOMETHING* out of the deal. If this gets passed, I'd be very surprised. Then I'd move to Canada. ;)

Even if it is passed, the media companies don't realize that they could exploit digital content yet. Once they do, it'd be repealed in a heartbeat.

This ain't just for the scientists. The SSSCA mandates that any digital device, hardware or software, must utilize and recognize certified security technologies. So what they are saying is every piece of software; every PC, every vidcard, hd, CPU, mobo and so on.... every PDA / DVD-player / digital movie media & audio CD; absolutely every thing that is a consumer and enterprise digital device. The use or sale of any non-SSSCA certified device leads to civil penalties up to federal felonies.

The SSSCA will make these things illegal(among other things):
- Assembling a home-built PC.
Using a non-secure computer on a network.
-Widespread development of open-sourced (non-copyrighted) software.
-Use of open-sourced software.
-University and corporate research on systems etc.

Typical an American thing. I wouldn't be surprised if it got through aldo I don't think it will but if it does in it's current form what a HORROR.........

Back