How much will Insomniac's Spider-Man game sell? *spawn

How many lifetime units do you think Insomniac's Spider-Man game will sell?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That wasn't my point. And Sony's divisions aren't completely autonomous from each other.
Yep. Interestingly Marvel's president specifically talked about Sony's Spider-verse:

Spider-man...He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse, you never know what surprises the future might hold

Sony could also have gotten more rights to do Spider-man games (like being able to do more games). Or they could have renegotiated their share on the future Spider-man games.

As far as games go, there's an issue with Spider-Man sequels and that's the setting is always New York. When it's a game every five years, it's not so bad, but if Sony want to make something of the SCU with frequent games and TV series and stuff, I can imagine the environment getting old real fast.

I wondered if they would make NYC covered in symbiote goop for the sequel for a very Harry, Sticky situation.

(╯°□°)╯

Yeah noone got close, Mile Morales sold amazing as well. I wouldnt be surprised if this was Sonys biggest IP

Yeah noone got close, Mile Morales sold amazing as well. I wouldnt be surprised if this was Sonys biggest IP

You mean biggest licensed IP, because Sony don't own it.

Lol exceeded all expectations. I really thought it was not going to do well after Andrew Garfield series; ASM2 was so bad with electro.

I guess avengers changed so much.

Was a reversal from Batman. Which was brilliant game and Nolan movies and couldn’t put a dent to these numbers.

You mean biggest licensed IP, because Sony don't own it.
Yep. As explained several times…
To understand the rights issue surrounding Spider-Man, I need to break the character down into three different categories: Spider-Man in comics, Spider-Man on film, and Spider-Man merchandise.

• If Spider-Man appears in comics it is under the control of Marvel Comics (and Disney – the parent company of Marvel Comics). So, Marvel/Disney owns the rights to Spider-Man comics.
  • If Spider-Man appears on film it is under the control of Sony Pictures. Sony owns the rights to Spider-Manmovies.
  • Spider-Man merchandise is owned and controlled by Marvel Comics (and Disney – the parent company of Marvel Comics). So, Marvel/Disney own the rights to Spider-Man merchandise.
https://donttellharry.com/2020/01/04/who-owns-spider-man-sony-or-marvel/amp/

The above doesn’t cover games rights which have been harder to pin down.

I don't believe Sony has the right (as of now) to port the IP. I believe Disney/Marvel will have to make that call when dealing with other platforms.
You'd think they'd be all over the idea..

I'm sure it comes at some point. You don't start buying PC port studios and port some of your biggest games.. without porting one of the biggest ones lol.

I think once Spider-man 2 is out on PS5, we'll see Spider-man and Miles Morales come over.

They'll definitely give the Spider-man games time to breath on consoles first.

You'd think they'd be all over the idea..

I'm sure it comes at some point. You don't start buying PC port studios and port some of your biggest games.. without porting one of the biggest ones lol.

I think once Spider-man 2 is out on PS5, we'll see Spider-man and Miles Morales come over.

They'll definitely give the Spider-man games time to breath on consoles first.

If their recent behaviour is to go by, they'll release their spider man game on PC before the sequel, for what I assume is to entice PC gamers to want to play the second one and buy a console if need be to do it.

It's been mentioned before, this Spider-Man was Spider-Man because Insomniac were given carte blanche to pick a hero, and they chose Spider-Man. It had nothing whatsoever to do with Sony's film licensing deals and it could have been any hero. Disney were just wanting to dip their toes into the Marvel video game waters and they opened with a deal with a partner they knew who had a commanding brand in the market. Eventually they'll ensure their major franchises come to all platforms I expect. Although a positive working relationship with Sony (which got a bit wobbly recently) may see Disney happy to keep SM as a PS icon for a spell. 20 million is damned good numbers so it's not like the IP is lacking for earning power being kept to one platform. But that does make you wonder what it could have done multiplat and Disney won't be blind to that.

Last edited:
It's been mentioned before, this Spider-Man was Spider-Man because Insomniac were given carte blanch to pick a hero, and they chose Spider-Man. It had nothing whatsoever to do with Sony's film licensing deals and it could have been any hero. Disney were just wanting to dip their toes into the Marvel video game waters and they opened with a deal with a partner they knew who had a commanding brand in the market. Eventually they'll ensure their major franchises come to all platforms I expect. Although a positive working relationship with Sony (which got a bit wobbly recently) may see Disney happy to keep SM as a PS icon for a spell. 20 million is damned good numbers so it's not like the IP is lacking for earning power being kept to one platform. But that does make you wonder what it could have done multiplat and Disney won't be blind to that.
Well, until Disney buys Sony. And MS buys Disney.

You heard it here first.

Back