How much does it take to make a custom .19 micron chip?

Flux

Regular
How much money does it take to make a small mod to a currently available cheap microcontroller core(like a PPE, ARM9,Sharc)?

I don't want to make a custom core from scatch but a small performance mod for existing ICs. Its a modified instruction set. The new instruction set is a small mod that changes the way the instructions are processed.I call it MRISC,MCISC etc and it improves performance of intructions processed by up to 1000 times more per cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need. More. Input.

Do you have the design software and access to the schematics to do this yourself, and are asking solely about fabrication costs?

If you have to ask you can't afford it.

Even for a small IC getting in on a shared foundry shuttle with an academic program is likely to set you back 10K+ $ ... but getting an architecture license to extend those architectures you mention will set you back far more (although if you are at an university they might have some special academic licenses).

On the other hand a development kit for a decent sized FPGA can be had for a couple hundred bucks and there are open source cores such as Leon which you can freely experiment with ...

That said, I think you are just a bit too enthusiastic ;)

Back