How much does hardware cost if ordered in bulk?

Flux

Regular
How much does hardware cost if ordered in bulk straight from the fab?

You have a retail/vendors license and don't pay sales tax on your innovatory.

The questions too vague..
A bit like me asking how much does a car cost

and fabs dont make stuff to sell, they make stuff for other companies so you cant buy direct from a fab, unless you licensed some ip and asked them to make it, or had your own

The questions too vague..
A bit like me asking how much does a car cost

and fabs dont make stuff to sell, they make stuff for other companies so you cant buy direct from a fab, unless you licensed some ip and asked them to make it, or had your own

Say if you licensed an IP from imagination,IBM or amd.

Could you just order those chips to be fabbed in bulk order at reduced cost?

You'd have to ask the IP provider as their deals depend on various factors.

Say if you licensed an IP from imagination,IBM or amd.

Could you just order those chips to be fabbed in bulk order at reduced cost?

Afaik no-one is willing to license high-end CPU IP without a per-unit royalty.

However, as far as the fab is concerned, you just pay them for wafer starts, somewhere in the neighborhood of $6-7k per 300mm 28nm wafer. How much your chips cost then depend on how many functional ones you can get out of a single wafer, or, from your yields and the chip sizes.

As far as "reduced cost" goes, reduced compared to what? People who buy a lot of these things already do that.

You could license Chinese IP for cheaper, maybe still with a per unit royalty but pretty low, or no royalty may be possible. Dunno what can be negociated or how you would conduct a negociation.
Then, forget about 28nm, you can't afford it. tunafish, don't you have to at least pay for one obscenely expensive mask? (if it works first time and doesn't need a revision)

I think you could get started for reasonably cheap using chinese MIPS on 65nm, for instance (you avoid paying an ARM license, and perf/watt is still pretty nice, there are Android 4.x tablets made with such SoC)

in china you can order "custom things". Like maybe, want android phone with analog TV tunner? you can.

at least that what one of the local brand in my country says about business in buying cellphone from china then sell it here in their own brand. Very cheap to produce, can order whatever design, sold high.

Back