How MS and Sony see kinect and move

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
Didn't know where this fit.

First is sony

85UcY.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5592618/how-playstation-move-trumps-wii-and-kinect-according-to-sony

And here comes MS

gxVzO.png

I've come to the conclusion that both of these companys are insane.

I've come to the conclusion that both of these companys are insane.

And why is that? Because they are trying to illustrate the value proposition of their respective products? If that really is the case, then I suppose the following companies are also insane:

Sprint Nextel
Verizon
ATT
T-Mobile
Apple
Hewlett-Packard
Samsung
GMC (and it's subsidiaries)
Toyota
Honda
Coca-Cola
Pepsi
Anhiesser Busch
EA
Activision

I mean, face it, all companies do this. They create charts and diagrams that make it to potential buyers in one way or another, comparing their product to the competition. The real "gotcha" is the people who find it "funny" or "laugh worthy" or take it even remotely serious (too serious). If you find it funny, or think they are crazy, then the charts weren't meant for you. Taking them seriously means you might be taking gaming in general too seriously.

I hope everyone here has the sense to have a good laugh at the stupidity of these comparisons and move on. ;)

If these products are successful, they may take a lot of the money from the market and affect game software sales.

Maybe the people who buy one of these setups would have bought one or two more games if they didn't spend a couple of hundred on this stuff.

Software licensing still produces higher margins?

Really, if they're going to extract well over $100 for hardware, they need to do it with new consoles.

I don't think anyone needs 2 sub controllers. It's only uses would be local multiplayer on traditional games. So to be fair in that case MS would have to add the price of another 360 controller to their price.

Between PS3 and 360 it then comes down to is their value proposition (blu-ray, free online etc,) and 246gigs of extra storage worth an extra 150-180 to you as a multiplayer user. Pretty much like it's always been.

The MS chart tickles me the most. It isn't even based on the same criteria across the board! The PS3 comes with a controller, but they still placed two Nav controllers in the price configuration. They left out speech recognition and full body play, too! :)

I would say Sony's comparison is a lot more fair, when compared to Microsoft's attempt.

I don't know - the Sony sheet seems remarkably fair to Microsoft at least, and mostly correct. Sure, it's missing some of Kinect's advantages, like supporting two players, but it doesn't really list all of Move's own advantages either.

I don't know - the Sony sheet seems remarkably fair to Microsoft at least, and mostly correct. Sure, it's missing some of Kinect's advantages, like supporting two players, but it doesn't really list all of Move's own advantages either.

Just change rechargeable battery and the second controller stuff to not required rather than no.

We categorize crimes and a lot of other things in this world via varying degrees of intensity. Why should this be an exception?
Because the whole thread will become a 'who's the most deceitful international megacorporation' bitch-fest. They're all misleading to promote their products. The fact one may appear fairer is just a fluke - there's no intention to be honest. Maybe some people want to distinguish someone embezzling bank funds for 10 million and leaving thousands of people bankrupt as better than someone embezzling bank funds for 12 million and leaving thousands of people bankrupt, but it's all the same really.

The Sony sheet is representing chalk and cheese by carefully selected similarities alone. "Our product (chalk) is whiter than their product (cheese) as this scientifically accurate measure shows." I mean, come on! "Buttons - yes, yes, no". the whole point to Kinect is it hasn't got buttons. Turning that feature into a checkbox that remains empty on MS's listing is utterly misleading. You cannot understand these products through a checklist. Checklists have only been employed to deliberately mislead readers into making unfair, meaningless comparisons.

Because the whole thread will become a 'who's the most deceitful international megacorporation' bitch-fest. They're all misleading to promote their products. The fact one may appear fairer is just a fluke - there's no intention to be honest. Maybe some people want to distinguish someone embezzling bank funds for 10 million and leaving thousands of people bankrupt as better than someone embezzling bank funds for 12 million and leaving thousands of people bankrupt, but it's all the same really.
How do you know this to be true? Traditionally, the more you are bound by facts the closer you stay to it. Maybe some people don't want to distinguish someone embezzling bank funds for 10 million and leaving thousands of people bankrupt as better than someone embezzling bank for for 120 million and leaving TENS of thousands of people bankrupt and killing some of them, but it's not all the same.

I have a problem with varying degrees of offenses being lumped together and treated the same. Maybe I care about fairness too much. I find it hard to operate outside of that.

If we were comparing chalk and cheese specifically as either writing devices or food stuff then pointing out only the relevant properties would be fair. Sony thinks buttons are relevant to playing games, which is the criteria they are both being judged by. Microsoft would say buttons are confusing or unnecessary.

How do you know this to be true?
Do you honestly and truly believe there's a PR department at Sony or MS that wants to be accurate and honest even if means painting themselves in a less glowing light?

Traditionally, the more you are bound by facts the closer you stay to it. Maybe some people don't want to distinguish someone embezzling bank funds for 10 million and leaving thousands of people bankrupt as better than someone embezzling bank for for 120 million and leaving TENS of thousands of people bankrupt and killing some of them, but it's not all the same.
The difference here isn't that large. Both Sony and MS have taken blows at each other in the information wars. That one may have landed a bigger hit doesn't bestow on them any virtue.

I have a problem with varying degrees of offenses being lumped together and treated the same. Maybe I care about fairness too much. I find it hard to operate outside of that.
This isn't really about fairness and justice, but PR spin. Do you not remember the pages of bickering over Sony's E3'05 show? It's quite possible to take these PR blurbs and write pages and pages of valid arguments to back them up, resorting to all sorts of subjective considerations to determine which is the more honest company. Yet at the end of the day not one of them has created these comparisons with an intention of being an honest source of information. Putting it another way: Two conmen, Mr. Blogs and Mr. Smith visit you one day, both trying to con you out of $1000. Mr. Blogs' lies convince you and you lose $1000. Mr. Smith's lies aren't as convincing and you turn him away. Are you now going to say Mr. Smith is a better person than Mr. Blogs because, despite having the same intentions, he was inept?

Whichever list above readers prefer, they're just two different takes on the same idiotic misinformation. They're just dressed differently with a different set of pointless data to compare. Both are trying to present an at-a-glance influence to get pundits to prefer their system to the other; neither is trying to create an impartial comparison to educate consumers into making a fair choice for their own personal requirements.

eastmen are you going to update the last kinect price comparison table you had?
you know the one where it compares the price of kinect vs move for 4 players :)

I love how MS + sonys positions have reversed
from a few years ago

MS - you need forcefeedback/vibration
sony - you dont need forcefeedback/vibration

today
sony - you need forcefeedback/vibration
MS - you dont need forcefeedback/vibration

It's sort of funny, though, because that's exactly these companies' positions are. Sony: 'Kinect doesn't have buttons!' MS: 'Kinect doesn't have buttons!'
Yes. On the Sony list that's a tick for them. MS could have designed theirs the same way only have the checkbox for, "no awkward buttons," or "button less freedom," or whatever else that gives them one more yes than Sony. The purpose of these lists is to present the list of yours as having the most ticks, which gives an at-a-glance measure of its superiority. The information can be manipulated in all sorts of ways to get the required ends.

Maybe the people who buy one of these setups would have bought one or two more games if they didn't spend a couple of hundred on this stuff.

I agree...and disagree with you on that :)

In Sony's case I agree. Everyone has a gaming budget, core gamers included. Sony is going after core gamers with Move so core gamers will spend less on other gaming items and divert it to Move related items. So Sony effectively is competing with itself.

In Microsoft's case though I don't agree. The core gamers budget will not be affected as much since Kinect does not target the core audience. So core gamers will keep on spending as they do, and primarily new customers will be the ones dropping money on Kinect related items. So Microsoft will be bringing new money to the fold, not cannibalizing existing sales.

Back