Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5+

• Total voters

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
And by 'speak,' I mean 'can get by' if you had to live there.

Me? 2.5ish. English (native), French (pretty strong - 14 years + immersion), and kinda/sorta/depends German (took it throughout University, some exposure to it).

German (native), English, French and Japanese. However, my Japanese is only good enough for basic survival....

Well, three then. Swedish(native), english and german.

My german is in a terrible state of atrophy though ATM. I used to be able to keep casual conversation going at one point in time. But I think a lot would come back if I spent a few weeks/months in a german speaking country.

Tried to learn a bit of japanese before... the speaking part was easy enough, given the effort I put into it(not a lot). The reading and writing part was where I finally gave up. ;)

One, I'm pretty hopelessly monolinguistic.

But since I only speak one language, I try me hardest to speak it extry goodly. ;)

Finnish, english, swedish, german
Though my german is not too good. I used to read it three years in school, but I've forgotten most of it.

at one time or another i could speak (or currently can):
portugese
gujarati
english
french
latin
german

took french, latin, and german in highschool. 4years of french, and 3 years of latin and 2 years of german.

I wish my highschool had offered japanese i would have taken that at a drop of hat instead of german.

I grew up bilingual with german and english and later also learned french at school. My french is a little rusty, but my my recent experiences in France convinced me that I could pick it up again pretty fast. I can get by in spanish speaking countries and Italy too, but I wouldn't count that as actually speaking the language. As a number 2.75 would be fair I guess, so lets call it 3... ;)

I wish I had ever had the opportunity to go to a school that taught anything other than Mexican (aka Spanish, but not really Spanish...) for more than a year. I had 1 year of German in 4th grade, but that was only 30 minutes once every two weeks.

What language do you think in?

I think a lot in English, I even prepare sentences in English in my head then say them in Danish. It must be the heavy influence from englishspeaking culture.

I speaketh the English, and can get by pretty well in Spanish, (although I'm a bit out of practice). I'm currently learning Chinese, (self taught, it's a pain though), and would eventually like to learn German and French.

So I'm realistically probably about 1.65 + .1.

Leto said:

I think a lot in English, I even prepare sentences in English in my head then say them in Danish. It must be the heavy influence from englishspeaking culture.
i often think of this. I grew up on portugese, at about 11 i started my transition to english. I cannot remember when i stopped dreaming in portugese and started doing it in english.

epic

Leto said:

For me it's about 50/50 now between thinking in Swedish and English.

Except Swedish and English I also know some German. I'm not sure I'd survive long in Germany though.

I used to be fluent in French. I spoke it for 13 years from when I was 6 years old until I was 19, but I haven't spoken it since. I could probably "get it back" if I stayed in France for a month or two though.

So if you count that, 2 for me. :)

I can only *speak* two languages (perfectly fluent in both spoken and written french and english) but I understand some written german, written portuguese/spanish and spoken japanese.

Apart from Danish, I speak English, German and French. I also understand Swedish and Norwegian, but that doesn't really count.

hupfinsgack said:
German (native), English, French and Japanese. However, my Japanese is only good enough for basic survival....

My Japanese is only good for sounding like a 14 year-old girl. :LOL:

Java
Javascript
C
C++
Managed C++
C#
PHP
ASP.NET
VB6
VB.NET
SQL
Basic ASM
HTML

...and some other minor scripting languages which I have forgotten about.

Back