How many has a PCI-E system?

How many of you have a PCI-E system?

• Total voters

Reverend

Banned
I still have the good old AGP system (NF7-S, XP3200+) and I hope to be able to upgrade to a PCI-E system soon (if only because for Beyond3D work stuff).

How many still have a AGP system?

Finances being available (if it's the main obstacle), will you upgrade immediately?

I plan on making a major upgrade this fall. I'm hoping to go AMD A64, PCIe ATI X880 XT, 2Gig PC4000+, and Raid 0 10K SATA drives. That should be a nice jump from AMD XP Barton 2.6Ghz raw speed, AGP ATI 9800Pro, 1Gig PC3500, and Raid 0 7200 EIDE drives.

No rush to PCI-E for me. There will be at least one or 2 more high end AGP parts. So I'm sure I'll end up buying the last high end AGP part (probably around 12-15 months or so from now) and then riding that out for a year, year and a half. Then it'll be time for a pci-mb and video card.

Reverend,

No real killer PCI-E card for me atm, so no real need. If I go a motherboard right now, it would be an Athlon 64 so it's not even an option just yet. When dual PCI-E 16x NVidia chipset Athlon 64 socket 939, that will be a killer combo if the dual cards work well (and is a cost savings). But right now I don't even see any real need for PCI-E compared to AGP 8x. I was hoping MPEG hardware compression would be the ticket, but I have not seen much about that.

Dr. Ffreeze

I have only 2 reasons for why Pci-E doesn't interest me for now.

#1 Previously being burnt on buying bleeding edge tech. PIII Slot1 and 3dfx V5 5500 name 2 of my biggest "wish i had never bought them" purchases. Who knows if the tech will stay viable or won't change suddenly after its introduced. (suddenly = within first year) (change = becoming unsupported).

#2 Will it truly double my performance ? Its the old adage, but still rings true for me, personally. I know you ask for the consideration of money not included but i find value vs. performance is always my main consideration when making a new purchase, after considering #1. What does PCI-E bring to the table to truly double graphics performance ? Will it make over a 50% increase ? Are the platforms it will be available on going to to double performance as well ? It may sound silly, but in the end its what keeps me sane in my justification of my purchases.

These are, of course, my opinions. #1 is always an iffy proposition, #2 will come about with time and maturity of the tech. I don't expect for AGP to become completely phased out for another 2 years. So with anything me, i will wait and see and make my decision when the tech is at its most stable and highest performance, at which its usually still available and at its cheapest.

Reverend said:
I still have the good old AGP system (NF7-S, XP3200+) and I hope to be able to upgrade to a PCI-E system soon (if only because for Beyond3D work stuff).

How many still have a AGP system?

Finances being available (if it's the main obstacle), will you upgrade immediately?
Until yesterday, I had a nice AGP system (P4@3.6, IC7-G, 1GB DDR400, GF4 Ti) that worked like charm and wasn't due for a motherboard upgrade this year, unless PEG x800XTs and the Asus P4GD1 turned up faster than I could get a good deal on a 6800 Ultra.

Well, my NB waterblock apparently fell off yesterday, the board shut down while trying to play Xpand Rally Demo, and I couldn't get it up again ever since. If I can revive it later today, I'll be faced with a choice I'd rather not make:

I) get another IC7-G - which seems kinda pointless but would be the easiest move but feels so going backwards
II) upgrade the whole damn thing, making the jump to AMD for the first time in roughly a decade - fast and tempting, but expensive and no PCIe
III) sit it out using my backup system (PII 400 :oops:) until nForce 4 / dual PEG hits the market - could take forever, not cheap either

Anyways, it all comes down to NO, I don't have a PCIe-capable system right now and until they're available for Socket939, I wont get one either.

cu

incurable

Still on AGP.
Definetly interested in PCI-E, but I want it on the Socket939 platform, and DDR2 also ^^

w00t

agreeing w/ Chris_T. Also, would like DDR2 @ a much higher speed about 800Mhz almost there 667Mhz is highest now. Also, SATAII w/ NCQ. Hopefully MS will get their asses together and get XP 64-bit Final sometime next year. I'm still in 32-bit because there is no use for 64-bit besides RAW processor speed. Hopefully there will be a BIG perf. diff. when software is coded for 64-bit. When are they going to get rid of these legacy ports??? It's getting annoying. Tell me of one gamer who still uses their parallel port and serial ports? Ok, maybe one serial port. I think it was a couple months back, but I saw one company that actually got rid of them on one of their boards. Hopefully, with PCI-E we can all have SFF cases. ;) *sigh* def. 64-bit mid-year next year.

Back