how long till you can just walk into best buy...

and pick up a ps3 or a wii whenever you want?

im thinking i may get a pc3 (keyboard and mouse support)...as long as that pans out to be just as good as pc....not to mention launch titles are by and large NOT impressive (xplay says)...even the 'fall of man' thing seems too much like a kinetic fest, endless waves of baddies, etc (i prefer more thoughtful play)

i may try the wii. but not for awhile. i'd feel kinda weird, i think, slugging and slashing around my living room. what would the CIA 'think'? they won't get any laughs at my expense, i can tell you that.

It will never be as good as PC, consoles will NEVER be able to match PC's.

It will however be fun messing around with the linux support and other stuff you can do with it. I think the linux support is awesome. When they enable (hardware acceleration?) if I recall correctly, wouldn't you be able to make N64/Dreamcast emulators for example? I think that would kick so much ass!

If I am understanding you correctly, you're asking when the supply shortages are going to end? Mind you this is entirely based on thin air and guess work, but I'd say PS3 is going to be supply limited at least until the European launch in March, especially since the Japan und US units have been reduced for the launch. If you look at the current ebay prices, it's still very high in demand. So the chances of you waltzing right into a shop and finding a PS3 waiting for you are slim.

Wii can apparently be produced in much higher numbers. It seems that they might be able to fulfill their 6 million units until March. But who knows...

im thinking i may get a pc3 (keyboard and mouse support)...as long as that pans out to be just as good as pc....not to mention launch titles are by and large NOT impressive (xplay says)...even the 'fall of man' thing seems too much like a kinetic fest, endless waves of baddies, etc (i prefer more thoughtful play)

i may try the wii. but not for awhile. i'd feel kinda weird, i think, slugging and slashing around my living room. what would the CIA 'think'? they won't get any laughs at my expense, i can tell you that.

Very simple. Just try your luck. When the PS2 was in this same market phase (between launch and holidays) I would just call stores as soon as they opened or go to the stores as soon as they opened to see if I'd get lucky. I did this and got a PS2 sometime early to middle of December. If you hope to get a PS3, Wii or any piece of equipment the shot in the dark strategy favors you. It beats waiting in line for 3 days.

Next Feb or March

Your likely right 22psi. I skipped over the "...whenever you want." Either way if you are patient try the shot in the dark method, if not (if you are patienter <sic>) 22psi is is probably right about March.

Your likely right 22psi. I skipped over the "...whenever you want." Either way if you are patient try the shot in the dark method, if not (if you are patienter <sic>) 22psi is is probably right about March.

March? Not in europe! :devilish: For us, we will be lucky to be able to "walk in and buy" at Christmas.

March? Not in europe! :devilish: For us, we will be lucky to be able to "walk in and buy" at Christmas.

So sorry london-boy. I sometimes forget about the folks across the atlantic. At least you folks get to dance to all the disco and smoke all the Marlboro Lights you can during the wait. The long...long wait.;)

So sorry london-boy. I sometimes forget about the folks across the atlantic. At least you folks get to dance to all the disco and smoke all the Marlboro Lights you can during the wait. The long...long wait.;)

Works for me, won't have money or interest to buy one before the summer anyway, but still, i won't be able to just walk into a shop and get one for a long long time after March.
Obviously i don't believe Sony's claims (4-6M units out by march) for a minute.

im thinking i may get a pc3 (keyboard and mouse support)...as long as that pans out to be just as good as pc....

It will pan out as a PC with a slow CPU and 256mb RAM for the "PC" part of it. (Atleast its only regonizing 256mb of ram in linux).

For $600 i can build you a pc thats much better at doing just that, being a PC. (and it will play some nice looking games aswell)

I'm thinking maybe summer 07...

i agree. Maybe even fall. They still have a whole nother region to feed, plus early adopters left over that couldnt get one, as well as getting efficient supply to stop the price gouging and bundle frenzy.

The wii should be better, certainly by spring i think things should be totally settled.

i already have an fx60 (water cooled), 2G DDR, x1900xtx, raptor, 680W PSU...

i just thought, there is no way im getting another console unless i can control with mouse/keyboard just like PC....(perhaps for console only titles)

i just read (engadget) the wii keyboard and mouse (you can hook up) does nothing...(not sure what that means) but apparently it's not even good enough to be a keyboard for their virtual keyboard typing app. that doesn't sound good, but then, perhaps nintendo isn't really a shooter platform? (never had one myself)

Do you think london-boy is from Germany or Holland or or something? :LOL:

Seriously though I doubt I'll have to wait long for a Wii, even though I haven't pre-ordered. I've always managed to get any console or handheld on launch even though I never pre-order. If all else fails I just pop down to Toys are Us, they always seem to have plenty of any launch console left on release day.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just thought, there is no way im getting another console unless i can control with mouse/keyboard just like PC....(perhaps for console only titles)

Have you actually tried the gamepads? The dual analog x360 gamepad is actually, quite "intuitive". And im speaking as a pc kind of guy here. Aiming is easy and works like a charm for everything except PD:Z.

I havent tried any FPS's on the PS3 yet, but reports say the analogs are much improved.

You can already go and pick up a PS3 its just under a different name, Xbox 360. (A bit harsh? Maybe...). As for the Wii, if you pay attention you might be able to grab one before the end of the year.

Seriously about the PS3, umm, probably not till after the Europe launch for easy go in and pick up and before that you'd have to pay close attention.

Do you think london-boy is from Germany or Holland or or something? :LOL:

And just where would one expect BRiT to be from? I could see london-boy being from Poland.

Back