How long before a X800 wrapper (Ruby demo) appears?

At this stage i'm leaning to the 'probably wont happen' stage. 3Dc isn't a problem. Emulating that will be 'easy'. The problem is the demo requires PS_2_b and VS_2_b HLSL compile targets, that suggests that there are shaders that can not be run on the R300 in there somewhere. Of course I"m going to see what I can do, but no promises.

Evildeus said:
Could it work on NV3*? I suppose NV4* is not an issue.
It won't run on an nV40. It'll start loading, but crash out.

It fits the requirement for PS2.0b or better which is all the game checks for starting up, but it has a problem with the 390MB of memory needed since it lacks 3Dc or whatever. (Or else it's a texture format issue...whichever, it crashes.)

Interesting! Finally, maybe they'll be at least one use for a 512MB card sooner than expected... ;)

Ruby without 2_b shaders doesn't look too impressive. 3Dc(aka 'ATI2' is not the problem, if not available, the engine doesn't use it....

AtiSushi02.jpg

AtiSushi04.jpg

AtiSushi05.jpg

Thomas

tb said:
Ruby without 2_b shaders doesn't look too impressive. 3Dc(aka 'ATI2' is not the problem, if not available, the engine doesn't use it....

Well, whatever you did...just do the opposite and you'll have yourself the "Nude" patch. ;)

tb:
Well, looks like we only need to rewrite the skin and hair shaders. Maybe we should ask the NV-driver people, they seem to have quite a bit of experience in that area... ;)

A teaser from a 9700 Pro:
teaser.jpg

It's not quite right (shader on her face is too dark among other things) yet, but it kind of works. It's also 'really' slow for me. Mostly caused by oh so much ram paging... ow, this thing likes a LOT of memory (especially since I have to make it use the Managed pool for textures instead of the Default pool).

Simplifing shaders isn't difficult, but it takes a while. In all there are just under 40 shaders that are too long.

I'll try to get a DLL out 'soonish' that will allow others to play. The thing about it is, it will not look like what you get on an X800.

I've also put some 'stuff' here for people http://www.users.on.net/triforce/ruby/. Note that the DLL's will allow you to run the demo, but the output will be far from correct (and no, you will not get output like the teaser pic). :)

An addition to my post above. The someruby.zip file 'might' make it possible to run the demo on Nvidia cards. I'd expect that it would be extremely slow on NV3x cards though. Those cards shouldn't have a problem using the shaders, they might just have a problem running them at a reasonable speed (you think ATI uses partial precision! :) ).

Back