How Driver/Game optimization is done?

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by pMax, Nov 21, 2014.

1. pMax

Regular Newcomer

I was just wondering, given recent NVIDIA GameWorks etc...

* shaders are usually byte-precompiled (say DX ones), not natively precompiled, so there should be no need to do GPU code reversing, am I right? Or are solutions like GameWorks likely to use natively precompiled shaders?
    * Is most of the work done with the GPU profiling to understand the call order/resource usage and reoptimize such pattern?
    * Is tweaking usually done in the shader's compiler, or more targeted to the draw indirect call batch flow?

2. Davros

Legend

Humus would be the ideal guy to answer that, I'd love him to do an article on what devrel do.
    I'd also love to know the full details of the amd/rage debarcle

3. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

Shaders are compiled to DX assembly by the API and that's what an IHV's shader compiler receives. Since Gameworks works with non-Nvidia hardware it must still compile to DX asm.

4. Dominik D

Regular

Part of your question was tackled here:
    https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/driver-optimizations-and-the-api.56087/

DX bytecode is a simple C-to-something_like_asm representation with some of the obvious optimizations already performed (constant folding and stuff). It's feasible that you could manipulate input shader to get better bytecode representation for the driver compiler to consume if you know what's better for the compiler. There are some issues with the bytecode itself (some original context missing, vector instructions) so if your tool has enough knowhow about the target, it can do some crazy shit with input (or simply construct better bytecode jettisoning the official compiler altogether). And that's just shaders. There are many more optimizations you can perform if you can measure your app from top to bottom.

5. pMax

Regular Newcomer

hmm... yeah, but I didn't see any IDA Pro module for DX bytecode, nor for AMD/NVIDIA assembly, so I was wondering what kind of reversing -if any- was done in the platform, and why.

6. Dominik D

Regular

DX bytecode is documented and you get that data out easily. There's a bunch of DDI intercepting tools that can be used to look into what's happening, and DXGK components expose ETW logs that can be easily consumed (and are by tools like GPUView). Some (most?) of the architectures are sufficiently documented to construct a body of knowledge about the inner workings of their ALUs. Most of the pieces are out there. :)