How does Tegra 4 compare to current consoles?

homerdog

donator of the year
Legend
Supporter
I lack a deep enough understanding of the Tegra 4 SOC to make a good comparison in my head to the current gen consoles (XB360 & PS3).
How does Tegra 4 (in Shield form) compare to PS360 in terms of CPU/GPU performance?

I'm not fully up to speed on tegra4, but it should be a good deal weaker; I don't think current consoles are within the power envelope of a portable system just yet (even wuu is about 30W), even with efficiency and silicon process improvements.

Tegra5 probably will be though...or even tegra4 with higher clocks and power draw.

Tegra 5 will be very close, just not quite there mainly because of a lack of memory bandwidth. Oh and Tegra 5 will be around 5 Watt at the performance I'm talking about. Tegra 6 will almost definitely surpass the PS360.

Problem with these SOC's is memory bandwith, really holds them back and until they find a simple and elegant solution that enables huge bandwidth they'll never hit true potential in the real world.

How does it compare? If I consider what a shrunk SoC version of the Xbox360 would consume under 28nm I'd say quite well. :p

Back