How do TV's have a 30Hz refresh rate & not hurt you eyes

This goes back to the 30Hz vs 60Hz (progressive vs interlaced) debate.

If my CRT monitor runs at 60Hz I feel like I need to take my eyes out with a spoon. But watching Return of the King for 4 hours on my HDTV with supposedly 30Hz is no problem at all.

How does that work?

Uh do you have a crt HDTV?
You also aren't right up to the tv like you are with a crt.

radeonic2 said:
You also aren't right up to the tv like you are with a crt.

That's the important part. Try sitting that close to a tv and you'll be ripping your eyes out with your hands instead.

Yeah, I have a 34" Widescreen Sony CRT HDTV.

So, you're saying that the distance from the screen makes a difference in how it effects you?

If that's so then at that point you wouln't be able to tell 30Hz from 60Hz?

Wouldn't the decay rate for a TV's phospor dots be tuned for 30hz whereas a computer monitors would be for 85Hz?

Anyway, a TV's image isn't full of sharply contrasting details, color transitions are smoother. If the color information spans two or more scan lines it will be better sustained. Flicker is far more noticable on a desktop sort of image than a game image.

What, shouldn't your TV be running at 60hz, 30fps or 60fps?

Anyhow, you're at a further distance from your TV. Resolution might make a difference, though I don't know.

Also, it had to do with how the monitors are designed. A high refresh rate monitor has shorter lived phosphors, so you need a higher refresh rate to be flicker free. The content viewed also matters, try browsing the Internet on your TV and see how pleasant it looks.

Your HDTV runs at 60Hz, and, yeah, it's likely designed to that single refresh rate. Distance and room lighting probably also help, in addition to the fact that TV and films aren't usually as, well, white as computer apps.

The fact that the material showing runs at 30fps (or 24 or whatever) doesn't mean that your TV refreshes at 30Hz. Your TV refreshes at 60Hz, and shows the same frame twice. I still find 60Hz painful but that's another issue.

TVs have 50 Hz refresh rate, newer ones have 100 Hz. There's motion compensation there, so no need for higher refresh rates. The material you see on TV is about 30 Hz, but that's not the refresh rate of the TV-set.

_xxx_ said:
TVs have 50 Hz refresh rate, newer ones have 100 Hz. There's motion compensation there, so no need for higher refresh rates. The material you see on TV is about 30 Hz, but that's not the refresh rate of the TV-set.

PAL is 50hz and 100hz on newer TVs with a slightly higher resolution than NTSC. NTSC is 60hz and 120hz.

I'd imagine that games have to be locked at 25fps or 50fps on PAL tvs since most games don't use triple buffering.

Actually after a while of monitor use you do start to not like TVs and they get harder to watch, I have trouble watching a regular TV anymore just because the pixels look so freaking huge to me. :?

Fox5 said:
_xxx_ said:

PAL is 50hz and 100hz on newer TVs with a slightly higher resolution than NTSC. NTSC is 60hz and 120hz.

I'd imagine that games have to be locked at 25fps or 50fps on PAL tvs since most games don't use triple buffering.

I've searched everywhere I can think of to find the refresh rate of my particular TV (Sony KD34XS955), and for the life of me cannot find it anywhere. Anyone got any ideas?

Karma Police said:
Fox5 said:
_xxx_ said:

I've searched everywhere I can think of to find the refresh rate of my particular TV (Sony KD34XS955), and for the life of me cannot find it anywhere. Anyone got any ideas?

Should be quite simple, if it's NTSC it's 60Hz, if it's PAL it's 50Hz.

Some LCD screens have different refresh rates though, in the region of 72-75Hz. Most LCD TVs actually have that refresh rate.

I would expect LCD TVs to run at the framerate of the broadcast. 75Hz and especially 72, aren't evenly divisible with 50 or 60Hz, so that might easily introduce tearing or juddering updates.

london-boy said:
Karma Police said:
Fox5 said:
_xxx_ said:

Should be quite simple, if it's NTSC it's 60Hz, if it's PAL it's 50Hz.

Some LCD screens have different refresh rates though, in the region of 72-75Hz. Most LCD TVs actually have that refresh rate.

Cool! 8) I had no idea it was that simple. Looks like its NTSC. So it runs at 60Hz, apparently.

Karma Police said:
Cool! 8) I had no idea it was that simple. Looks like its NTSC. So it runs at 60Hz, apparently.

If you're in the US, yeah you can be assured it runs at 60Hz.

In Europe, there was a nice little thing to get rid of the sometimes painful 50Hz - CRT TVs that refresh at 100Hz. That eliminated the flickering completely, and i must say, it was quite a big thing, at least in the UK, before plasmas and LCDs became the big thing.

Personally, the best picture i have ever seen is on the new Philips HDTV whatever-its-called-with-Ambilight. Not only it's crisp as hell even from just a DVD source, but it looks like the motion is smoothed out - not sure how they call the technology, but it's some kind of motion interpolation.

Saw this set playing back the same source (The Hulk) alongside other new HDTVs and the difference was very stricking, it looked like the other displays were running at half the framerate of the Philips one, it really made an impact on me.

Back