How about some speculations about AMD R680_65nm

Shtal

Veteran
Rumor suggests that ATi has successfully taped out A15 silicon that is able to work at 1GHz. (Would ATI release/update silicon for final R680 GPU beyond A15 revision that they currently plan).

So far the possibility is: - for R680:
A: 65nm tech.
B: 2.0 GB total video mem-GDDR4.
C: Faster revision 512bit GDDR4 memory chips from Samsung ATI may use.
D: About ~1GHz core clock and internal 1024bit memory controller
E: More shaders ATI may implement into R680. “Beyond R600”
F: Some GPU tweaks/changes ATI may implicate in order to outperform upcoming Nvidia G81 or even maybe G90.

[Edit: Maybe it will support (DX10.1/SM4.0a+)]
Quarter 3, 2007 -or- it could be push to Quarter 4, 2007 release date....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummm I doubt we're going to jump from 512MB entry level GDDR4 to 2GB high speed GDDR4 in the space of a year.....

Ummm I doubt we're going to jump from 512MB entry level GDDR4 to 2GB high speed GDDR4 in the space of a year.....

Is it possible to assume upcoming R600 (X2800XTX) will come in 512MB and 1GB versions. Do you think logicality possible R680 (X2900XTX) be 1GB; Maybe for X2950XTX 2.0GB High Speed Memory
[Edit: Time will tell :)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, I don't think it's logically possible. Physically maybe. Practically no. I'm not gonna complain if they wanna sell me a 2GB R680 for $500 though :)

You'd have to redesign a .80 chip for a .65 process. You won't see .65 until R700 at the top end, or one of the simpler, midrange designs used as a test bed for the new process. Certainly not for a R600 refresh in toward the end of this year.

I'm expecting the refresh to be 65nm, certainly. And most likely in the Fall. I think that's pretty much consensus. Which is why when looking at the "A15" rumor I'm just not buying it. The consensus was they were on A12 a couple months back. Inq seems convinced a new spin just came back, which if they were on A12 would seem like it would have to be A13, wouldn't it? And at nearly the same time, we get a partial demo screenie from Hexus, and increased launch date rumors that fall just outside "Geo's 6 week rule of thumb". And Henri Richard confirms no later than March, which also fits. Stir all those tea leaves together, and they paint a picture. . . but that picture doesn't include anything called "A15".

We still don't even know what's happening with R600, IMO it's quite pointless to speculate about R680 or whatever such. If such a thing exists in the first place.

1kbit bus!? Sorry, but you won't see that one for VERY long. Do you know how much that costs to manufacture? Also forget about 2GB of memory.

While R600 is destined to be on 80nm the remainder of the range appears to be destined for 65nm:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29612

so it seems pretty likely to me that R650 would appear on 65nm.

Jawed

"This suggests that ATI may be adopting the process choices they did with the R3xx and R4xx generation, by introducing the new architecture first at the high end on a known process, and moving the derivative, lower end parts to a newer, smaller process."

As much crap as I have given Orton and his crew over the past year about this specific issue I must say I am VERY happy to see this line of thinking again. This is the kind of thinking that prevents delays and helps bring products to market on time while maximinzing effencies on known processes. Hopefully the delay of R600 will not force them to go to 65 nm sooner then they want at the high end.

1kbit bus!? Sorry, but you won't see that one for VERY long. Do you know how much that costs to manufacture? Also forget about 2GB of memory.

Ehm, 1024bit internal bus, as in, 2x 512bit, just like R600 has (and just like R520/580 have 512bit, aka 2x 256bit internal busses)

Also forget about 2GB of memory.

I may forget it, true; but that does not mean R6xx series GPU does not support it, I know ATI/AMD will announce that workstations FireGL video cards will have full 2GB video memory for their R6xx series workstations GPU's video cards....

I may forget it, true; but that does not mean R6xx series GPU does not support it, I know ATI/AMD will announce that workstations FireGL video cards will have full 2GB video memory for their R6xx series workstations GPU's video cards....
I'd be surprised if any DX10-level card didn't support 2GB of video memory, so yes, I'm sure R6xx supports it. The problem is that RAM can be very expensive. So unless you want a $999 card with performance barely higher than that of a $499 card, I think it doesn't make sense for the consumer market... :)

Uttar

I'd be surprised if any DX10-level card didn't support 2GB of video memory, so yes, I'm sure R6xx supports it. The problem is that RAM can be very expensive. So unless you want a $999 card with performance barely higher than that of a $499 card, I think it doesn't make sense for the consumer market... :)

Uttar

Agree my friend! :)

Back