(Hotmail) strikes back

Boosting hotmail free storage from a paltry 2MB (which always was a JOKE to be frank) to 250MB makes me feel as if I can see all the money-grubbers at MS go o_O o_O o_O over Google and their Gmail initiative.

I don't need 1GB free storage, with the email traffic I'm enjoying right now (or not, lol), I could live the rest of my life and not fill half of that. 250MB for my hotmail account though, now that is a fair amount. I won't have to worry for a while...

However, I guess MS will counter with something rediculous like making even the shortest email "occupy" 100kb of space or something, to make sure people can never actually use up that much storage.

Guden Oden said:
Boosting hotmail free storage from a paltry 2MB (which always was a JOKE to be frank) to 250MB makes me feel as if I can see all the money-grubbers at MS go o_O o_O o_O over Google and their Gmail initiative.

I don't need 1GB free storage, with the email traffic I'm enjoying right now (or not, lol), I could live the rest of my life and not fill half of that. 250MB for my hotmail account though, now that is a fair amount. I won't have to worry for a while...

However, I guess MS will counter with something rediculous like making even the shortest email "occupy" 100kb of space or something, to make sure people can never actually use up that much storage.

Yeah whats with their way of magically adding 33% of the sice of each email?!?! Why would they do that anyway?

I think it's just deliberate rounding-up/inflation so that they don't need to have so much disk space for each customer. Makes it cheaper to run, simply put.

Oohh the gnashing-of-teeth that must have taken place at MS before they bumped free storage a whopping 125x, I'm sure the noise made cracks in the walls of the building!

Isn't it typical though they offer the least amount of free storage of all the major players? :p Not that 250MB is stingy or anything, had they bumped to 25MB or less then I would have laughed derisively. 50MB would have given them a sneer of disdain. 100MB, a roll of the eyes. 250MB though, that's rather nice. I didn't expect MS, the king of greed, to be so generous! :LOL:

Deepak said:
If only someone could offer free broadband.....

I was actually thinking about this this morning! Freaky! I was like, it would be so cool to just plug a cable on the wall and have free broadband, or at least "comfortable" broadband, muc like electricity or water supplies today... nothing to set up, no one to stress about...

I doubt that broadband ISPs would be out of business though.

I think major caps will be placed on those electrical outlet broadband systems.

Microsoft will need 45 500 Terrabytes only for the free accounts. Hopefully i'm not the one paying for this upgrade :D

170 000 000 X 250mb = 45 500 000 000 mb

RainZ

Seen how they won't all get filled up soon, i think they're ok for now... Most of them won't go close that limit, like, ever. So i think MS can get away with having less storage, and start worrying about building up storage facilities from now on, hoping it will take a while before all those accounts start getting full.

london-boy said:
Seen how they won't all get filled up soon, i think they're ok for now... Most of them won't go close that limit, like, ever. So i think MS can get away with having less storage, and start worrying about building up storage facilities from now on, hoping it will take a while before all those accounts start getting full.
Im going to have to disagree with you. UNLESS microsoft and other get better at filtering out spam, an email account can quickly fill up with spam if not checked regularly.

epic

epicstruggle said:
london-boy said:
Im going to have to disagree with you. UNLESS microsoft and other get better at filtering out spam, an email account can quickly fill up with spam if not checked regularly.

epic

I get ONE spam email on my hotmail account every 2 days. I think that's pretty good.

Basic said:
rainz:

Make that 42 500 TB.
Still a lot though.

lol yeh just realised i was about to edit it :D

EDIT: Just calculated for the fun ... it will cost between 35-50 millions USD depends on which HDs they takes.

RainZ

rainz said:
Basic said:
rainz:

Make that 42 500 TB.
Still a lot though.

lol yeh just realised i was about to edit it :D

EDIT: Just calculated for the fun ... it will cost between 35-50 millions USD depends on which HDs they takes.

RainZ

that's not a lot...... Perfectly affordable...

Back