Horizon Zero Dawn [PS4, PC]

What are people actually seeing here that is technically outstanding versus other games?

Well there is destructibility (trees, rocks, enemies) while for instance in TW3 there is none, Aloy animations/traversal is very fluid and believable better than what I saw in TW3 and in part Batman, the vegetation and landscape also looks believable and and don't look flat like in TW3.
Creatures shown so far are animated in a fluid convincing way, for instance the Long Necks do walk like actual giraffes, kudos to GG.
Rocks look more like actual rocks, metal more like actual metal, and skin looks more like skin unlike MGS where everything looks like it's made of plastic.

Pretty much everything Shadiw Fall did right in therms of graphics is here but in a larger scale.

Last edited:
Hmm rather than plastic, it looks a bit like made from paper. But not as paper as Mo mans sky.

Although it can because YouTube compression

Hmmm, I am not so convinced by the nature elements yet.

The game world seems to have higher quality assets than TW3 in terms of foliage, higher poly creatures, more high res textures and it also has true volumetric lighting, SSS, better explosions, more destruction and far better animation. Also the art style is very interesting.

The game world seems to have higher quality assets than TW3 in terms of foliage, higher poly creatures, more high res textures and it also has true volumetric lighting, SSS, better explosions, more destruction and far better animation. Also the art style is very interesting.
The Witcher 3 has an impressive environmental lighting engine built around the time of day and weather. We don't know if Horizon has that or if they'll bake it like Infamous.

You have to compare like with like.

The Witcher 3 has an impressive environmental lighting engine built around the time of day and weather. We don't know if Horizon has that or if they'll bake it like Infamous.

I think it is dynamic weather in Horizon, seamless open world. The Witcher 3 is good looking game but I hope one day we will have a better framerate on PS4.

And TW3 visual go from average to gorgeous, Novigrad is average, interiors are most of the time ugly. Village and out of the town the game looks gorgeous.

The world is a bit static in TW3. In Horizon, Rock can broke, tree too. Some vegetation react to the player action... Animation is Horizon is much better than TR Witcher 3.

All my impression are based on PS4 version...

Last edited:
They said every environment in the trailer will be in the game.

And some environment are gorgeous...

They said for example if you see a mountain in the background you can go there.

If we can visit interiors and they look like in the beginning of the trailer when she does her combat training, it will be much better than TW3.

My main question about weather is "Is the sky is procedurally generated like in MGS 5 or Drive Club?" I hope the rain will not be as ugly as in Killzone Shadow Fall... Batman or MGS rain are the best...

Maybe they give a little hint with little time lapse of cloud at the beginning of the trailer...

Fog is gorgeous too lit by light... They have some snow particle near the ground like if the wind move the snow. It is just a FX not simulated but it looks good.

Volumetric lightning like in KZ SF... Asset look like better than TW3 most of the time.

I think it is the best comparison possible. Other Open world play mostly in city without dynamic TOD...

Last edited:

It is in my opening thread.
  • Cutting Edge Open World Tech: Stunningly detailed forests, imposing mountains, and atmospheric ruins of a bygone civilization meld together in a landscape that is alive with changing weather and a day/night cycle.
http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/06...eatures-of-the-newly-announced-ps4-exclusive/
Awesome stuff is awesome.

I'm excited for this game, just a little sad it's only targeting 2016, as such I expect it to slip into 2017...but I hope I'm wrong, it looks to have real potential.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com earlier today, art director Jan-Bart van Beek revealed that there is "a lot of interplay between the different weapons and ammo types, and there is a sort of creative aspect there where you need to find the right way to use weapons for particular robos. And that counts for a lot of the game. We don't tutorialise the game, we don't go and tell you how to hunt these robos or how they interact. You really have to go out there and explore these things by trial and error.

More about RPG systyems of Horizon @ http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/horiz...ont_be_tutorialised_rpg_systems_detailed.html

Last edited:
It the lighting is indeed real time then Guerilla have impressed me again. I really liked their previous game (despite the baked lighting) and looking forward to seeing what they can do with a more open world title.

I like how clean their games look, Horizon will probably just as clean and beautiful. I really hope they pull this off, they got the best response they probably ever hoped for at E3, if it lives up to its potential it could very well be GOTY material!

We don't tutorialise the game, we don't go and tell you how to hunt these robos or how they interact. You really have to go out there and explore these things by trial and error.
Excellent. Games are hand-holdy these games. I much prefer, here is the basic toolset, now the rest is up to you. Early Minecraft was like that.

edit: typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent. Games are hand-holdy these games. I much prefer, here is the basic toolset, not the rest is up to you. Early Minecraft was like that.
Written on your phone by any chance? ;)

I agree. I like a game I can research, gets me excited to play it.

New concept art, oh boy this game is going to be beautiful during night time

LoMuUU2.jpg

It's like one of those dream games I used to dream about in the recess of the dream world:). The art direction and tech are simply phenomenal.

Back