Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
No mention of it running on actual PS5 HW.. anyways..looks amazing while also looking like a current-gen game. Nothing new or amazing in terms of rendering tech or physics (water and especially the waves are horrendous)

Yeah, looking at it a second time, it has a similar thing going on as HZD. The overall quality is so good that some things really stick out.

In HZD, for example the water was really bad and facial animations weren't that good.

In this video, things I didn't notice the first time stick out. Like the little bit of stuff popping out of the fish looks pretty bad and the alligator like creatures in the water look disconnected from the game world.

But the overall presentation and look is fantastic, similar to HZD. And there's still time for them to polish some things before the game comes out.

Regards,
SB

EaRLBXLXsAEoc43

i tried every trailer i could find, but the compression artifacts for the 4K videos were all so terrible. Didn't feel anywhere close to 4K. Still better than the live stream, but far from what I want from a 4K trailer. **resolved, issue with playback. Videos look great.

Last edited:
i tried every trailer i could find, but the compression artifacts for the 4K videos were all so terrible. Didn't feel anywhere close to 4K. Still better than the live stream, but far from what I want from a 4K trailer

Since publisher only cares about video metrics like or view, no more Gamersyde video and this is sad...

Since publisher only cares about video metrics like or view, no more Gamersyde video and this is sad...
I don’t know what to say. I reviewed some other 4K videos today to make sure it wasn’t my internet session and it’s not nearly as bad as these trailers. They need to go back and revisit. I felt like this was either the worst compression one could ever use; or the resolution was severely upscaled and then the compression made it worse. The ocean and the trees just looked like compressed mess to me.

edit: no. It was my xbox. My PC runs this 4K just fine. It looks really clear. Gorgeous

Last edited:
Absolutely insane graphics. Easily the best looking next gen game shown so far on any platforms by far. The amount of geometry density, foliage, model quality, stuffs happening on screen is nuts! Strong Avatar CG vibe right there. GG did not disappoint:)
Best looking game for sure but Avatar it is not. Not even close.

Looks like more of hzd ps4 pro as others say. Best looking still goes to hellblade 2 so far.

The character are maybe better or on par and the artstyle more photorealistic in Hellblade 2 but the scenery is far ahead of what we have seen of HB2 in- engine where it is very empty.

The density on screen is far ahead of the emptiness of HB2 demo. At least for now, I will not be surprised at release HB2 will be better in 2022/2023.

All games as good as they look are only launch games, later some much better looking games will arrive. I am sure Horizon 3 will look better.

Best looking game for sure but Avatar it is not. Not even close.

The vegetation density is very high it can remind Avatar, same for the scene with the turtle artstyle looks like a little reminiscent of pandora forest.

After for sure rendering is yearlight from HZD2.

I never said it's 1:1 Avatar quality did I lol, said getting a strong vibe from it so that means it comes near it in many parts. Regardless it's still an amazing achievement on its own. The foliage along takes it to a whole new level, the sheer density of it and the way they animate wow. The volumetric cloud seems to be much improved too it feels like fluid sim now. The water is a major improvement, the fluid dynamic used here is beautiful! The underwater section is no pun intended, breathtaking! Everything just feels so natural, alive and organic.
https://u.cubeupload.com/nib95/videoplayback14.gif
https://66.media.tumblr.com/cb878d4...5b50781a65c217b6ade7f9394803e1ee5b844131.gifv
This is well and truly a new industry benchmark alright.

Think this looks fantastic, to be expected from Decima + Kojima upgrades + more Gorilla upgrades. I didn't notice during video, but we're still going to see wonky bits on characters, like the bottom of the swamp creature, in until characters can use virtualized geometry too (is that even going to happen?).

upload_2020-6-12_9-4-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-12_8-57-40.png
    upload_2020-6-12_8-57-40.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
I think the 'problem' is expectations, what we got shown is matching with the compute increase over the 2013 consoles, say around 4 times increase in graphical fidelity, not the 100 to 200 times in storage speed, it didn't equal in 100times the graphics shown. Apart from loading levels then.

If Sony can't deliver that true next generation jump we (not everyone) expected, so can't MS either. It has nothing to do with platform warring, since i think both won't be doing that jump. Calling HB2 graphics indie graphics is though.

And that's why many reacted underwhelmed/where expecting much more. Shifty even stated the same thing in another post. I'm saying the same thing, and HB2/HZD2 aren't far apart, HB2 gives more of that UE5 demo vibe, but its more empty, while HZD2 has more assets. Their in the same generation.

Last edited:
Back