Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
i am late to the party. Got to say, its been a long time since I was so impressed by a game's visuals. I am using the balanced mode and the IQ looks pristine. DIdnt notice the problems that were being reported at launch so I guess they have been ironed out with the patches. Balanced mode is butter smooth and the image looks simply stanning.
It insane how detailed the flora is. The moss is super high in detail. Down to the tiniest. The art and style of the game is simply outwordly. The fact that this is not a linear walking simulator says a lot about the talent and technical accomplishment. Cant believe this is the studio that gave us the inconsistent slideshow and bug fest with Killzone1 on PS2.

What I find super impressive is how consistent and how close the gameplay the lighting is to its cutscene version. And this is an open world game. Mindblown. You can even see the light interacting properly with the character's pubils during gameplay.
I am super excited and very very delighted. I dont know how the PS4 looks like but the PS5 is the most impressive game I played to date and looks next gen even though it is a cross gen game.
What game do you guys think competes with this? I cant think of any. Not even Cyberpunk 2077 in ultra.
Forza Horizon 5 at 4k/Ultra settings on PC, or in Quality mode on XSX. The amount of high quality detail put into a *racing game* environment is pretty insane.

I do think between these two games, and probably Plague Tale Requiem, they are the best looking games available at the moment overall. Goes to show that cross gen doesn't have to be super limiting, though obviously it'd require a lot more effort to achieve what they did, and being 1st party titles likely helped a lot. They also all look this good without ray tracing(I know Plague Tale technically has it, but it offers very little over pure raster visuals), showing there's still loads of room to make amazing looking games by pushing in other areas.

IMG_3416.jpg

EDIT:

EDIT:

Last edited:
I usually prefer 40fps modes but after Guerilla learned how to make good res reprojection 60fps looks so insane in motion its a sin not to play using this mode ;d

40fps for me, as i prefer the fuller LoD compared to 60fps mode, and the slight loss in resolution over 30fps mode is not so noticeable.

Looks like more of the same. Maybe the PS4 version just didn't sell well.

They said the cloud and the Horus battle are not possible on PS4. And the cloud are used in design for hide cave only reachable using the flying mount. It doesn't mean they can change the full technology of the game in one year. This is for Horizon 3...

Looks like more of the same. Maybe the PS4 version just didn't sell well.

Unfortunate that there's still some big pop-in. From 1:04 - 1:05, for example, a large tree just pops into existence on the top of a building. Maybe wouldn't have been as noticeable if it wasn't contrasted against the bright skyline. I'm really surprised they didn't have a lower LOD representation that faded in at a much greater distance from the player. Perhaps memory constraints as that would be something that has to stay resident in memory

Still looks nice, regardless, but it makes me really look forward to nanite based vegetation in UE5.

Regards,
SB

Back