Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
I don't agree with that, it was one of the most stunning PS4 games at that time. And it was long and varied, a big effort.

Its not really a matter of agreement. The game is pegged online at around 40 million euros, from memory. Its a 2017 game. Crysis 2 cost more than that in 2011. Dead Space 2 came out in january 2011 and reportedly had a combined budget for dev and marketing of 120 million. Darksiders 2 had a budget of 50 million.

Comparable games in the timeframe of Horizon 1 had 100-130 million. So Horizon was 2 to 3 times cheaper. The game was really short, at around 20 hours and the game was not very densely populated with stuff to do. From my end, i could feel the small budget the entire game

Its not really a matter of agreement. The game is pegged online at around 40 million euros, from memory. Its a 2017 game. Crysis 2 cost more than that in 2011. Dead Space 2 came out in january 2011 and reportedly had a combined budget for dev and marketing of 120 million. Darksiders 2 had a budget of 50 million.

Comparable games in the timeframe of Horizon 1 had 100-130 million. So Horizon was 2 to 3 times cheaper. The game was really short, at around 20 hours and the game was not very densely populated with stuff to do. From my end, i could feel the small budget the entire game
Amazing that they managed to create one of best lolking game past generation for 45 milions. I have problem in first game with lacking narration and bland npc’s but maybe with more money in budget they will improve it in sequel. Btw according to how long to beat main story was 22h and main + extras 44h, complet 60h, wouldnt call it short, rather optimal

It seems like the recorded gameplay and then just made the clip with the middle 1/4 of the screen, why the hell dont they show the true FOV? Makes one feel sick watching it like this, same when ppl set FOV to 110 or something in battlefield 2042
vegetation still needs better interaction, really galling when this happens, same with the walking on sand it doesnt feel like they are walking on sand

It seems like the recorded gameplay and then just made the clip with the middle 1/4 of the screen, why the hell dont they show the true FOV? Makes one feel sick watching it like this, same when ppl set FOV to 110 or something in battlefield 2042
vegetation still needs better interaction, really galling when this happens, same with the walking on sand it doesnt feel like they are walking on sand

Probably because her feet isn't always connected to the sand.

HZFW-1.JPG
HZFW-2.JPG

Regards,
SB

Probably because her feet isn't always connected to the sand.
no, easily disproven by looking at other parts in the video on the sand, where the shadows are where they should be, this is either by
1. too big near clip plane for shadow (which its not, as shown elsewhere) or
2. wrong col geometry (could be, they need to rebake)
3. the sand actually does change (i.e. your feet sink into the sand), which means ones of my complaints is addressed, but they havent updated the col geometry. I did not see this in the video and thats what Im complaining about, perhaps it was happening, the video is very quick with the current lets not show a scene for more than 2 secs that I hate when they release clips for games
4. ? no idea

She's definitely on the sand, collision detection keeping her grounded.
Shadow casting is likely bugged here drawing the shadow too far away from her in these particular setups.

If you watch the end of the video as the camera rotates around her, you can see that her feet are definitely not on the sand. You can watch the sand rotate from behind her feet, but visible, to in front of her feet and still visible. It's also apparent by just looking at the sand directly under her feet as the camera rotates.

That why I posted 2 shots from different angles of the rotation instead of just one. If I had the time to make a GIF it would be much more easily seen.

That should be at the correct timestamp to see it.

Overall they are careful with the camera work during the game play segments as they rarely show her feet. The camera perspective usually cuts off around her ankles. That said, when you do see her feet, it's generally connected to the ground. Hence, I think this is just some bug.

Regards,
SB

She's definitely on the sand, collision detection keeping her grounded.
Shadow casting is likely bugged here drawing the shadow too far away from her in these particular setups.
mate its not that, its 2,3,4. I think its #2 but who knows maybe they are in the process of implementing #3 hence the unfinished look
(but fuck that shit, fix the plant interaction first, thats a more glaring error)
Look at this, prolly the pinnacle of last gen WRT graphics, because thers no glaring Oh its CGI issues, sure theres clipping etc but nothing glaring
I watched this and I got caught up in, am I watching one long cut scene or is it the game? I thought it was a cut scene but I know now nah this is the game.
Praise excellence, I know some dicks have problems with the game they get triggered cause of something in the story, lesbian shit or something, all I can say is mate get with it.

OK this is a AAA studio but this should be the baseline of todays gen games, instead we get stuff like todays halo infinite where the reviewer wrote under one of the screenshots and I quote (Im not making this up)
This 4K capture of Halo Infinite was taken from an Xbox Series X. Seriously. That's a screenshot from an actual Series X video game in 2021.
:LOL:, I laughed when I read that, he put a disclaimer on how bad it looks
praise the positive , not the drek like halo, theres gonna be a new video soon from ninja theory senua hellblade 2, imagine what halo would look like if they developed it instead of 434
I dont like horizon never have, but technically it looks very good, esp for a crossgen title.

mate its not that, its 2,3,4. I think its #2 but who knows maybe they are in the process of implementing #3 hence the unfinished look
(but fuck that shit, fix the plant interaction first, thats a more glaring error)
Look at this, prolly the pinnacle of last gen WRT graphics, because thers no glaring Oh its CGI issues, sure theres clipping etc but nothing glaring
I watched this and I got caught up in, am I watching one long cut scene or is it the game? I thought it was a cut scene but I know now nah this is the game.
Praise excellence, I know some dicks have problems with the game they get triggered cause of something in the story, lesbian shit or something, all I can say is mate get with it.

OK this is a AAA studio but this should be the baseline of todays gen games, instead we get stuff like todays halo infinite where the reviewer wrote under one of the screenshots and I quote (Im not making this up)
:LOL:, I laughed when I read that, he put a disclaimer on how bad it looks
praise the positive , not the drek like halo, theres gonna be a new video soon from ninja theory senua hellblade 2, imagine what halo would look like if they developed it instead of 434
I dont like horizon never have, but technically it looks very good, esp for a crossgen title.
honestly, having watched it again. Could be a (4)

As in, for a vertical slice, they may have put a polygon underneath there to direct the enemy to walk etc scripted business, unknowingly that plane is off the Z plane axis enough to cause everyone to float on it.
Or
The animation for that particular 'finishing animation' for her, is accidentally z-plane shifted upwards a touch, resulting in her floating.

Horizon Zero Dawn was not a 20 hour game. lol Maybe in the same sense that Skyrim is a 15 hour game, but that's never how people play them, come on now. My last replay was about 80 hours for main game + DLC.

Also, games with only one platform tend to be cheaper to make. And I'd bet good money that 40 million does not count marketing budget, though Sony benefit a lot from having the media and gamers do enough marketing for them without having to pay a lot extra. Playstation is just an extremely popular brand, and PS4 was an extremely popular console at the time.

Horizon Zero Dawn was not a 20 hour game. lol Maybe in the same sense that Skyrim is a 15 hour game, but that's never how people play them, come on now. My last replay was about 80 hours for main game + DLC.

Also, games with only one platform tend to be cheaper to make. And I'd bet good money that 40 million does not count marketing budget, though Sony benefit a lot from having the media and gamers do enough marketing for them without having to pay a lot extra. Playstation is just an extremely popular brand, and PS4 was an extremely popular console at the time.

The main story is around 15 hours, thats around how long it took me and i did around 10 or so hours for various side quests. But those are so mundane and poorly done that its not really worth it. This is not Skyrim where you have guilds and proper missions outside of the main quest.

Games arent cheaper to make because they're on one platform. This was a cheap game because on one hand, sony was aprehensive about this being a new ip with a female lead. And second, you budget a project based on your return predictions. If you only have one platform when there are 4 major platforms out there, you're not really gonna go all out with the budget right from the start. If you make a game that wil launch on PC, playstation, xbox and switch, which have combined usebases in the hundreds of millions, then you can increase the dev budget accordingly. Im sure the sequel was treated completely differently, after the game was such a big success sales wise.

15hrs to do the story mode? How? Did you have the difficulty set to 'Imma little bitch mode' ???

On the harder difficulty settings it can take over an hour just to kill a Thunder Jaw.

On medium, i dreaded the combat in the game since its so one dimensional, so i was trying to run from combat when it was possible. The combat, while having a few various tools, is too reliant on the dodge mechanic and shooting a weak spot. Literally, every single enemy from the first second to the last, was dodge at the attack moment then shoot an arrow. Every single time. I profoundly disliked this game in every area, so it could very well be that i played it just to be done with it after a while and rushed

The main story is around 15 hours, thats around how long it took me and i did around 10 or so hours for various side quests.
How long did it take you to go through CP2077? 20 hours? You must be a tech geek at the game. My PS4 time is 126 hours in HZD and I got the platinum for it. I might have played around 10-20 hours in New Game+ mode after finishing but not much more.

Hell, I've done more time now on PC while doing the run through again and haven't finished the game yet?

Did you do the DLC or just the main game?

Last edited:
Back