Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
They can very slow flying mount in PS4 and fast one in PS5. At least they will have different models on PS5 version.

Perhaps a longer animation on the PS4 version, whenever you get on or off the mount? The kind of thing that would allow the engine time to load "flying assets" into memory, which are lower LoD but greater draw distance.

I'm curious how the two game sizes will compare. Presumably the PS4 version will require a lot of duplicated data in a way that the PS5 version won't. But presumably the PS5 will be capable of higher tiers of LoD. Will it be much of a muchness, or will one be substantially larger?

I'm betting on the PS4 version being crazy big. RDR2/TLoU2 with their 2 BRD's sort of big.

They can very slow flying mount in PS4 and fast one in PS5. At least they will have different models on PS5 version.
Flying is something I feel will stretch PS4. Sure GTA V does it and does it well in a packed city with lots going on but there is nothing in GTA V with the asset complexity and detail of HZD and there can me many such assets in HZD and even more would be visible when flying. But if they need to sacrifice visuals on PS4 I don't have a problem with that, I'm transitioning. This is the cost or dilemma of cross-gen game design. You can either hold back the scale of what you want to do, or accept it'll be compromised on the older machines.

One interesting point that Dictator mentioned in the DF video is how the different specs will affect the gameplay. Can you scale from 3.5Ghz Zen 2 to a 1.8Ghz Jaguar without significant changes?
No need to full scaling.

Recall how Dragon Quest 11 did. Different game stage, different graphic.

Happy that millions of PS4 users also get the same game on their platform, i know many that wanted a PS5 for just this game, but they arent upgrading because they can play this masterpiece on their current consoles.

I am a bit relieved by how Insomniac is doing with Spiderman Remastered. They redo the model of the character. I think, the assets of Horizon 2 PS5 and PS4 will be different. Cross gen games are same assets with improved effect like RT, better resolution, framerate and sometimes better texture pack.

Here at least we will probably have two differents assets from a geometry point of view.

Last edited:
To me the best thing about the trailer was that peach fuzz shader on Aloy’s skin, or whatever it’s called, which makes a model look a lot more like CGI or reality than what we’ve had in games until now.

Strange

"Please join us on Twitch or YouTube at 9AM PDT / 5PM BST / 6PM CEST for the special State of Play Pre-Show, and at 2PM PDT / 10PM BST / 11PM CEST for the Horizon Forbidden West gameplay reveal"

They have a state of play pre show at 6PM CEST and Horizon Forbidden west gameplay is only at 11PM CEST.

New wonder what resolution target will be on ps4 and ps4pro

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 and PS4 Pro's versions are simply using the Zero Dawn engine, and the PS5 version is using a very different engine.

According to all the statements about pumping up their 1st-party dev houses, Sony seems to have given Guerrilla the manpower to make 2 games in parallel that are very different in everything but storyline and pre-baked assets.

If Insomniac could release Miles Morales PS5 + Miles Morales PS4 + Spiderman Remastered P5 + Ratchet&Clank in the timespan of 8 months (and all this only 2 years after Spiderman 2018), then Guerrilla could be delivering significantly different experiences between the PS4+Pro and PS5 versions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 and PS4 Pro's versions are simply using the Zero Dawn engine, and the PS5 version is using a very different engine.

According to all the statements about pumping up their 1st-party dev houses, Sony seems to have given Guerrilla the manpower to make 2 games in parallel that are very different in everything but storyline and pre-baked assets.

If Insomniac could release Miles Morales PS5 + Miles Morales PS4 + Spiderman Remastered P5 + Ratchet&Clank in the timespan of 8 months (and all this only 2 years after Spiderman 2018), then Guerrilla could be delivering significantly different experiences between the PS4+Pro and PS5 versions.

Why would they develop the same game on two different engines, when the Decima engine has showed that it can already scale very well on PC?

Sounds like a huge waste of resources, when they can just focus on the PS5 version, and then scale down to Potato Mode as much as they need to get the thing running on PS4.

Why would they develop the same game on two different engines, when the Decima engine has showed that it can already scale very well on PC?

Sounds like a huge waste of resources, when they can just focus on the PS5 version, and then scale down to Potato Mode as much as they need to get the thing running on PS4.

The PC / PS4 versions of Decima can't stream assets per-frame, at least not anywhere near what's possible on the PS5 which is what has allowed the latter to show graphics like we saw in Demon's Souls Remake and Ratchet&Clank Rift Apart.

I'd have a hard time believing Guerrilla is treating the PS5 version like a faster PS4 Pro with twice the RAM. They're more ambitious than that.
If they were going to do that, I think Forbidden West would have been a launch title.

The PC / PS4 versions of Decima can't stream assets per-frame, at least not anywhere near what's possible on the PS5 which is what has allowed the latter to show graphics like we saw in Demon's Souls Remake and Ratchet&Clank Rift Apart.

I'd have a hard time believing Guerrilla is treating the PS5 version like a faster PS4 Pro with twice the RAM. They're more ambitious than that.
If they were going to do that, I think Forbidden West would have been a launch title.

Horizon on ps4 has to be streaming, there is no load times during traveling in open world. I expect we get some improvements also for ps4 compared to original game. PS5 will get higher lod levels of assets afforded by ssd+compression+...

Horizon is about 4 years old game come this fall. Guerrilla must have been able to squeeze more out of ps4 thanks to this 4 year period they have been focusing on forbidden west.

Back