Horizon Forbidden West [PS4, PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
If Alloy being a radioactive glow in the dark entity is your thing, more power to you! She does at some point drag a whole train wagon with her hands without much effort, so maybe she is really an enhanced superhuman and the glow is a side effect.

The hero light may look pretty but it makes her stick out from the world too much for my liking.

I did give the mod a try and it works great for outside environments, but in interiors the devs relied too much on this fake light so it makes her looks super weirdly colored.

A matter of taste I suppose. I dont think It looks like radioactive glow, rather like some cinematic light which hightlights the details of the model and separates her a bit from the background. I think it adds detail to the scene as well.
The game doenst look 100% realistic anyway, rather more like a painting in some sense so I think it fits the style.

Alane Wake 2 with path tracing, CP2077 with path tracing and a smattering of other amazing looking games will do that.

And it's not that Forbidden West bad bad, it's just no where near the level I expected given the hype around it's visuals (And for a game that won best graphics at DF in 2022)

I'd agree with this. I'm currently playing CP2077 and my wife is playing H:FW, both maxed out on the same setup, often one after another so the comparisons are pretty direct.

I'd say Horizon can be a spectacular looking games in select parts, and character modelling in particular is a high point. But in many other areas it can range between "great" to just okay". It never looks bad IMO, but there are plenty of areas where I've been pretty unimpressed. The same can be applied to any game of course but I'd just move all the averages up quite a bit for say CP or Avatar (I don't have AW2).

I'll caveat that though by saying I'm not playing it myself and although I've spent some time watching my wife play it, I think you pick up more on the high (and low tbf) points when playing it for yourself.

Without path tracing, CP77 looks worse than HFW, worse pop in (awfull sprite cars in the distance), worse character modeling, awfull water rendering.

Are you talking on PS5 or PC there? Granted I play with PT enabled but I don't think dropping that down to the max standard RT settings would make that much difference. While the lighting in CP2077 is phenomenal and definitely the main highlight, the base graphics are still extremely good. I do think there's a narrative that the game is only good because of it's lighting but it's one I definitely don't agree with. For example I've never noticed any sprite cars after dozens of play hours and the water looks great to me. Characters vary from okay to superb but I agree Horizon has it beat there, at least in some instances.

Dont you need like a 2000 dollar graphics card to run those games with path tracing?

A $590 4070 Super would be more than sufficient.

Are you talking on PS5 or PC there? Granted I play with PT enabled but I don't think dropping that down to the max standard RT settings would make that much difference. While the lighting in CP2077 is phenomenal and definitely the main highlight, the base graphics are still extremely good. I do think there's a narrative that the game is only good because of it's lighting but it's one I definitely don't agree with. For example I've never noticed any sprite cars after dozens of play hours and the water looks great to me. Characters vary from okay to superb but I agree Horizon has it beat there, at least in some instances.
PS4/PS5 and PC share the same visual assets in CP77, no higher detailed NPCS or scenery for the PC version sadly (i think that's something nanite can solve and save time for devs, as it could adapt to the hardware it runs on to deliver maximum detail for every config). So yeah it's slightly worse than HFW PS5 IMO in different areas (worse does not mean bad though)
that's a point i liked in HFW PS5, they made the effort to put higher fidelity character models compared to the PS4.
Then we could argue that NPC density is way higher in CP77.
I don't think CP77 uses volumetric clouds for its skybox too.
Each games shines in different graphical aspects.

PS4/PS5 and PC share the same visual assets in CP77, no higher detailed NPCS or scenery for the PC version sadly (i think that's something nanite can solve and save time for devs, as it could adapt to the hardware it runs on to deliver maximum detail for every config). So yeah it's slightly worse than HFW PS5 IMO in different areas (worse does not mean bad though)
that's a point i liked in HFW PS5, they made the effort to put higher fidelity character models compared to the PS4.
Then we could argue that NPC density is way higher in CP77.
I don't think CP77 uses volumetric clouds for its skybox too.
Each games shines in different graphical aspects.
Imo there is realy no purpose to compare xsx/ps5 version of cyberpunk to forbiden west, cyberpunk on consoles looks mediocre when forbiden west is still one of best looking game

I'm sorry that I don't find this light leakage impressive....

View attachment 11157

View attachment 11158

View attachment 11155

View attachment 11154

I've not even gone out of my way to find these area's and they're not in some random part of the map you're not supposed to get too, they're on a direct path. but quality issues like this are every where.

This flying shot was captured with HDR on which is why looks overblown, but the pop-up when flying around is abysmal, just look at those trees, it's crazy how no one has ever mentioned this horrendous pop-up when flying.

I even watched PS5 videos on YouTube of people flying around to check that it wasn't a driver bug or something but no, the pop-up is just as bad on PS5 if not even worse on PS5.

View attachment 11156

The issue is the game has been hyped to hell for its visuals and my hype (and plenty others) has been equally as high to see it.

But it's nothing more than a jumped up PS4 game.
Finding some imperfection is one thing. Cancelling fully the whole visual package is another.

Edit: btw the overblown flying part perplexes me. I didn't observe something like that when I was playing on PS5 unless I missed it

Last edited:
Back