Home router for a gamer

Quitch

Veteran
I've moved into my new house and am busy getting it online (network port in every room, bliss). As a gamer, and knowing the horror of how a single download can cripple my ping, I've been looking for a router that will allow me to prioritise traffic at a reasonable price.

Getting past the "gamer fuel" nonsense, the DLink DGL-4100 looks like the right sort of thing. However, is there anything else aimed at the home (price wise) that I should consider?

Why not go with a Linksys or other makes that have open firmware? If you need wireless, the Linksys WRT54GS with Sveasoft or other open firmware offers QoS (Quality of Service) that will allow you to prioritize your packets.

Because I don't know which routers have open firmware, which is why I'm here :)

I'd really like to see some feedback that QoS firmware too. With the DLink router I've got some support to fall back on and I know it'll be patched for a while.

I'm not DLinks greatest fan though. Is all Linksys firmware open? Is there anywhere that reviews modifications made to the firmware?

I have a DLink DSL router and it's nothing special. I'll go for a bit more expensive but better product next time.

I use a linksys WRT54G.
Quite old but works ok.. only problem I have with it is torrents kill it after a (random) period of time for some reason, even with a thirdparty firmware that "fixes" the problem- it tracks old connections for too long (5 days) so anything that uses lots of connections messes it up.
Perhaps a new version of the router fixes it, but mine still suffers from the problem.
However, It has pleanty of user created firmwares allowing you to tweak the crap out of it.
Out of the box it has QOS support but the third party firmwares really let to go to town with it.

Thanks guys I'm looking into Linksys at the moment. Is the WRT54G the only one they were forced to open up?

Quitch said:
Thanks guys I'm looking into Linksys at the moment. Is the WRT54G the only one they were forced to open up?
Be very careful to get correct version of the WRT54G. The latest version (v5) does not support Linux. You do not want a unit with a serial number beginning with CDFB. Read more about the different versions (WRT54G v WRT54GS) at Wikipedia.

Frankly, I think Linksys makes terrible products these days. They are flaky and their support is questionable. I would probably look at the D-Link Game Fuel series DGL-4100 or DGL-4300 first and hope for the best. At least they have a QoS system that has been verified as working (yes, some products have QoS reported but it does nothing).

You may also want to look into Speedtouch products by Thomson (formerly Alcatel brand). They are most famous for having good ADSL transciever units (can hold very bad lines), but they also seem to be robust in most areas. The Speedtouch 585 is considered to be one of the better home gateways (modem, router, WiFi AP).

I'm torn now. Unfortunately the Linksys product doesn't support Gigabit speeds, something my girlfriend has been very careful to ensure our house can do (I made the mistake of questioning her terminations "My terminations are perfect!").

On the downside though, there will be more than four devices connecting back to the router, but it only has four ports, and I want to avoid wireless (probably get the DGL-4100 over 4300, but only the 4300 seems to be available in Britain) as that's why we wired the whole house!

Would a switch between some of the less important ports and the router have much of an impact. I don't see it being a big downer on speed (assuming gigbit support), but what about QoS? I assume that would still work as normal.

Also, how would Windows QoS relate to that on the router? Would they have anything to do with one another, or remain entirely in their own domain (not that I imagine Windows QoS to be much help as it's only over the net connection I care)?

I'm not a big DLink fan though after using the DI-624+, with no e-mail support, different firmware revisions on each DLink site, no version which resolved all their issues, constant reboots etc.

QoS though IS important. Does the 585 support QoS? I'll go check, but I'm sneaking around the web at work right now... takes ages to write a post this long :)

Last edited by a moderator:
While we're on the topic, does anyone have any DSL modem reccomendations? Last time I bought a DLink modem to go with the DLink router, simply because I needed a setup and I knew it should work smoothly. Problem is that I have a hell of a time finding DSL modem reviews, and those I do find I have no idea if they are any good or I should be trusting them.

Looked at the Speedtouch router, but it didn't look like it had QoS, and it was 100Mbs. I'm looking for gigabit because I intend to make use of the network, for backups, moving stuff to and from the HTPC, etc. Might setup a domain too and then there'll need to be some speedy access to remote home folders.

Quitch said:
Would a switch between some of the less important ports and the router have much of an impact.
None whatsoever. Most of these "routers" are actually just a switch routed to a WAN port and it is only routing between the built-in LAN switch and the WAN port. You'll need a GigE switch, of course, and if looks matter to you (or the "girlfriend factor" heh) you will want it the same brand and stackable.

I don't see it being a big downer on speed (assuming gigbit support), but what about QoS? I assume that would still work as normal.
Different routers offer different QoS solutions. Some are port based, others are IP based, and the more elaborate models even offer VLAN support.

Another thing about QoS. ATM supports QoS on the actual ADSL line and sometimes this is touted as a real feature (ok, so it is[ a real feature), but ISPs are not likely to offer this level of control and it will most likely be UBR (uniform bitrate) (where the options are: UBR, CBR, and VBR). The main thing to consider here is really that the modem doesn't say it can do QoS because it has this feature because this has nothing to do with packet prioritization to the LAN.

Also, how would Windows QoS relate to that on the router? Would they have anything to do with one another, or remain entirely in their own domain (not that I imagine Windows QoS to be much help as it's only over the net connection I care)?
QoS on the router is often a forced (push) type where the OS has no impact. For example, it may regulate a type of packet (TCP, UDP, etc) to prioritize, a port, or the IP of the computer.

On WIndows you have something called 802.1p and this is something like a self-regulating QoS function where the packets tell the router what is important ("Hey, me first, me first!!"). I wouldn't worry too much about Windows' QoS functions as this is more to do with a single client prioritizing packets for itself. Because you want to avoid ping spikes (mainly gaming, right, or are we also thinking VoIP?) you really have to regulate this at the point of distribution (the router).

I'm not a big DLink fan though after using the DI-624+, with no e-mail support, different firmware revisions on each DLink site, no version which resolved all their issues, constant reboots etc.
I'm not a D-Link fan either, but, then again, I think most of these cheap home products suck. The problem is they seem to make too many models/configurations to adequately support them.

QoS though IS important. Does the 585 support QoS? I'll go check, but I'm sneaking around the web at work right now... takes ages to write a post this long :)
The Speedtouch 585 supports QoS. It is really more of a SOHO class device. Very robust and handles multiple connections (read: P2P). This comes with a built-in ADSL modem which is very good for long (high attenuation) lines. It should support ADSL 2/2+/Reach Extended with a firmaware update if not out of the box.

While we're on the topic, does anyone have any DSL modem reccomendations? Last time I bought a DLink modem to go with the DLink router, simply because I needed a setup and I knew it should work smoothly. Problem is that I have a hell of a time finding DSL modem reviews, and those I do find I have no idea if they are any good or I should be trusting them.
It really depends on if you want the modem integrated into one device. This can be good, and more or less necessary when using PPPoA (critical decision point!). It can also be bad because you have one point of failure (bad in this case, as you may lose multiple functions by one device nosediving).

The Speedtouch modems are good, as are most, to be honest. It may come down to DSLAM compatibility at times and the ISP really should be careful with how they provision lines, not sending your packets too far over copper. However, it's not a perfect world so it may be prudent to have a modem with a good transciever and, probably more importantly, a robust firmware/OS to handle troublesome connections.

Ironically, some older modems may perform much better as they were over-specced for the task. Since then, they have learned to cut costs and strip them down to the bare essentials. This sometimes makes for modems that fail exactly where they should instead of being forgiving.

Looked at the Speedtouch router, but it didn't look like it had QoS, and it was 100Mbs. I'm looking for gigabit because I intend to make use of the network, for backups, moving stuff to and from the HTPC, etc. Might setup a domain too and then there'll need to be some speedy access to remote home folders.
It has it and so may some other units that don't make this very clear. The 585 needed to be configured in CLI for QoS, but I think later firmwares bring this into the web configuration utility.

Over all, because you limit yourself to the DGL-4100 if you want GigE, you may want to consider a solution involving a GigE switch instead. It's not like you need 1Gbps to the WAN. Furthermore, you only get 4 switched ports on the DGL-4100 so you may need an additional GigE switch anyways. A 100mbps router/gateway hooked up to a 8-port GigE switch might work better, depending on how many connections you want to support.

In writing this, and confirming that you are in Britain, it would be interesting to know if you plan on using PPPoA to connect to the Net. This is critical because PPPoA often requires an all-in-one device, as "half bridge" modems* are rather rare. With PPPoA the DGL-4100 would not be a very clean solution (unless you already own a "half bridge" modem) and you would probably be best adviced to look at fully integrated gateway.

So, to make a good decision/recommendations, you really need to say if you are using PPPoA as this will change the factors considerably. PPPoE and IPoA do not have this "problem".

* A "half bridge" modem, also called IP extension by USR and some others as well as "DHCP spoofing," is a modem that can "simulate" being a bridge while keeping its PPPoA client active. In a gateway or a just a modem with NAT, you have the PPPoA client built-in and it manages your connection. With PPPoE you sometimes see the PPPoE client installed as software (a dialler). The problem is that when you use a router as the manager, PPPoE is not a problem because it's Ethernet, but it cannot speak ATM (the A in PPPoA). So, with PPPoE, for example, you set your modem to bridge - it only acts like a transceiver - and enable the PPPoE client in the router. But this cannot happen with PPPoA so the modem must keep doing the PPPoA functions: hence "half" bridge.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

wireframe said:
None whatsoever. Most of these "routers" are actually just a switch routed to a WAN port and it is only routing between the built-in LAN switch and the WAN port. You'll need a GigE switch, of course, and if looks matter to you (or the "girlfriend factor" heh) you will want it the same brand and stackable.

Isn't the function of a router and switch fairly similar anyway though, except routers bridge subnets?

I'm not worried about matching brands, I just did that because there isn't enough information (or it's hard to find) out there to allow you to make a well informed choice in setting up more than one device. As you say later, it's probably due to the sheer number of models, all doing the same thing.

wireframe said:
Different routers offer different QoS solutions. Some are port based, others are IP based, and the more elaborate models even offer VLAN support.

Another thing about QoS. ATM supports QoS on the actual ADSL line and sometimes this is touted as a real feature (ok, so it is[ a real feature), but ISPs are not likely to offer this level of control and it will most likely be UBR (uniform bitrate) (where the options are: UBR, CBR, and VBR). The main thing to consider here is really that the modem doesn't say it can do QoS because it has this feature because this has nothing to do with packet prioritization to the LAN.

Rather I was thinking if device A goes through non-QoS switch B to QoS router C, will that have a negative impact on the ability of C to AoS A properly.

How does QoS vary? Simply in the amount of detail you can configure it, or the way it is implemented? Does this affect the end result? I assumed QoS simply gave priority to traffic you specified and ensured that it wasn't delayed by packets from other programs which arrived first but still required processing.

wireframe said:
QoS on the router is often a forced (push) type where the OS has no impact. For example, it may regulate a type of packet (TCP, UDP, etc) to prioritize, a port, or the IP of the computer.

On WIndows you have something called 802.1p and this is something like a self-regulating QoS function where the packets tell the router what is important ("Hey, me first, me first!!"). I wouldn't worry too much about Windows' QoS functions as this is more to do with a single client prioritizing packets for itself. Because you want to avoid ping spikes (mainly gaming, right, or are we also thinking VoIP?) you really have to regulate this at the point of distribution (the router).

As I understand it, Windows QoS simply kicks everything but priority programs out of a percentage of the available bandwidth when required (or rather, kicks them out of whatever that priority traffic wants, up to a specified maximum defaulting to 20%). I didn't think it would be important unless you're... well I'm not really sure when you're going to want that, unless you regaurly flood your LAN connection.

I'm not sure how much more there is to it. I recall hearing that you need QoS "aware" routers too, and your post would seem to confirm that.

wireframe said:
I'm not a D-Link fan either, but, then again, I think most of these cheap home products suck. The problem is they seem to make too many models/configurations to adequately support them.

Problem is there's no mid-range products, and the "cheap" isn't really that cheap. At least, not over here.

wirefram said:
Over all, because you limit yourself to the DGL-4100 if you want GigE, you may want to consider a solution involving a GigE switch instead. It's not like you need 1Gbps to the WAN. Furthermore, you only get 4 switched ports on the DGL-4100 so you may need an additional GigE switch anyways. A 100mbps router/gateway hooked up to a 8-port GigE switch might work better, depending on how many connections you want to support.

Won't having QoS on the second router (i.e. my machine and several others go through the gigabit switch before hitting the QoS enabled Speedtouch router) lead to a possible loss of performance (especially if a machine on one switch is doing something network intensive with one on the other switch), or is this not the case. In fact, will the QoS only touch on traffic going out to the net, and thus rendering this example obsolete (sort of, though network staturation would be more of a problem with the 100Mbs device acting as the modem... though not much).

Is there much difference between switches? Considering their simplicity I wouldn't have thought so, but best to check.

wireframe said:
In writing this, and confirming that you are in Britain, it would be interesting to know if you plan on using PPPoA to connect to the Net. This is critical because PPPoA often requires an all-in-one device, as "half bridge" modems* are rather rare. With PPPoA the DGL-4100 would not be a very clean solution (unless you already own a "half bridge" modem) and you would probably be best adviced to look at fully integrated gateway.

So, to make a good decision/recommendations, you really need to say if you are using PPPoA as this will change the factors considerably. PPPoE and IPoA do not have this "problem".

Since I think PPPoA is the only way it's done in Britain (is protocol the word here?), then this isn't an issue since, if you can buy it over here then it works over here. My DI-624+ called its protocol PPPoE, but I don't believe it actually was, or the modem sitting between the router and the internet was fixing this.

I wrote this long drawn out thing (that I saved and can post later), but you really need to stop now and think about this. You say that you will be using PPPoA. This will make using a seprate router very troublesome in terms of lmited qualified hardware combinations.

You should check if you can use PPPoE as well. If it is absolutely only PPPoA it limits your choices.

As I said, AFAIK you don't get anything but PPPoA on this side of the pond, so if you can buy it in Britain then it works.

Take a look at this, and get an Asus WL-500GX (Deluxe). Although it runs on others as well. All the features you need, and if you think QoS doesn't work as you want it, ask Oleg and he'll probably fixes it for you.

Add an USB drive, and you have a server as well, without any fuss. (I did, it works very well and is really simple to set up. Just select the things you want in the menu.) And if you want Afterburner (125Mb Wireless) and lots of other stuff, it's all included. Not bad for the price of such a router, isn't it?

Btw, I'm going to install a full Debian on it. Add all the other stuff I want as well and everything else I might fancy, and basically make it into an almost-no-cost do-it-all server. Like the ones I build for small companies. With all the bells and whistles I like. But don't mind that, I'm just a geek who likes doing things like that.

:D

I installed a full debian on my router, which works fine. Unfortunately, packages.debian.org seems to be down at the moment, so I'm a bit stuck. :(

Still, serious bang for your buck, and absolutely the simplest way to have QoS, Samba, FTP, Apache, ssh, Afterburner and all that, out of the box! Although it would be even better if someone build a completely automated procedure to install debian on it, for the people who want all the rest as well, as it took me a few hours and some fiddling around to do it.

BTW wireframe, I still would like to see that long, drawn out post :)

This smells like one of those annoying situations where you don't know which solution is best till you've tried them all, by which time there's new options.

Back