Holographic storage is coming

Discussion in 'PC Hardware, Software and Displays' started by chavvdarrr, Aug 4, 2006.

1. chavvdarrr

Veteran

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3641
    HD or BR? Hopefully in 5 years noone will remember these ;), holography has the potential to beat them in speed and capacity .

2. ANova

Veteran

Let me know when they decide to make a halographic or crystal based hard drive.

3. zsouthboy

Regular

As was said over at ArsTechnica, this is always something that is Three To Five Years Away™

Not saying it wouldn't kick ass, but I'm not holding my breath yet.

(And I think, somehow, it might be ironic if the format took off, in spite of HDDVD and BluRay)

4. mashedpotatoes

Newcomer

Yet another reason why people shouldn't be upgrading from their DVD's and TV set's just yet. I'm a PC gamer and also like console games so i'm getting a nice HD tv for my 360 anyway... but I can't help but feel we'd be better served waiting 5-10 years and getting a 2048x2048 screen or something crazy. Maybe the display people won't be able to keep us as fast, but in ten years time, the digital movie guys will easily be able to push 2048x2048 ot whatever widescreen format would be equivalent.

5. mashedpotatoes

Newcomer

What's with the rule about not editing anyway? Rubbish. Only had a couple of corrections to make, pfft. "Keep us" is "Keep up" :p

6. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

I don't care about HDTV (and even then 1920x1080 ought to be enough for anybody). but, hmm, whole series seasons and movies in 720x576, recorded straight from the free aerial MPEG2 signal :razz:
    (well, maybe a trip to the HDD first to separate episods and cut ads)
    that would be a quite storage hungry legal source.

7. KimB

Legend

Well, unfortunately, holographic technology is incompatible with magnetic storage, so you're basically limited to optical storage for holographic recording. As far as crystaline storage goes, that would be quite cool, but that's not even on the horizon, as far as I know.

8. nintenho

Veteran

Is it rewritable?

9. KimB

Legend

I doubt the initial implementations would be. But I don't see why, if this takes off, later implementations couldn't be.