HL2 source has supposedly been leaked

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by bloodbob, Oct 2, 2003.

1. WaltC

Veteran

BelleVue Sanatorium, Billary, NY. Patient privile
    *chuckle*...So you think they definitely did it, then?

2. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Legend Veteran

A sad day for Valve and the gaming community. The hacker should be jailed, Valve's network admin fired, and MS sued. If people can do this to a game dev, imagine what they can do to more important (public infrastructure) systems used by less-knowledgable ppl than game devs?

3. epicstruggle

epicstruggle Passenger on Serenity
    Veteran

"Hmm, I haven't confirmed it myself, but Bill Gates admitted he sleeps with children?"
    See my point, i said in my post taht you should do some research before you spread misinformation.

later,
    epic

4. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Did I not say my personal guess was not nVidia or anyone related to nVidia?

5. Vince

Veteran

Not really, your point is totally invalid. Did you know this was in the Source? Similiarly, do you think people will just instantly *know* if ideologies or constructs are lifted from this and utilized in other engines?

My point is valid, your commenting on the quote I posted (which obviously isn't my wording or thoughts). Attempt to differentiate next time before spurting off at the mouth like an attack dog. Thanks. :roll:

6. epicstruggle

Veteran

vince, natoma:
    this a quote your post vince:
    When you post such misinformation you should stand up and take some responsibility for continuing to spread lies. The source code itself says 2 things:
    -its LGPL
    -you can redistribute it and/or modify under LGPL

My problem is that you didnt check your facts before posting rubish. I hope you see what I mean.

later,
    epic

7. epicstruggle

Veteran

laugh, you were trying to validate your point with the quote you posted. I debunked your quote and now you attack me. laugh. ;) Next time you want to make a point with examples, please make sure your example are not lies. Just a suggestion.
    :) I finally got verbally attacked by vince. Feels good. I dont know what the fuss was all about.

later,
    epic

8. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

Natoma, Vince and epicstruggle:
    yep, LGPL can be used and modified for commericial programs, (under certain limits that can be read from lisence agreetment.) unlike the GPL.

*yawns... I am so tired that I can't keep up getting angry anymore about anything. :)

This thread is updating a bit too fast considering my state of mind. (it is 3:35am here. ;) ) so I need to hit the sack. :) see ya all tomorr.... erm later today. ;)

9. epicstruggle

Veteran

Silly thing to be fighting over. ;) Im going to drop it. I made the point I wanted to.
    People spread the truth the havoc engine is lgpl. simple enough.

later,
    epic

10. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

ANd I think you've got a tin foil hat on that's strapped a little too tight.

You need to stop pretending they're the devil incarnate and the source of all evil in the world. And you need to stop projecting your belief of my ideas onto me so that you have "the perfect adversary"

Because that's what you want to see. Heaven forbid it be a l33t hax0r, cuz they don't have any motive.

What's funny is that you're so certain its a company at all. I don't think any rational company would do this. I don't think any company would do this. Where did you get the idea that I think some company (but definately not NVIDIA) did this? What? Oh, if I disagree with you, I must be defending NVIDIA? GET OFF YOUR CRACK PIPE! ITS MAKING YOU PARANOID! OR MAYBE GET BACK ON IT BECAUSE YOU'RE HAVING WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS!

Really? And what proof do you have of this? Or are you, once again, spouting off at the mouth writing 10 paragraph diatribes over your favorite topic: how much nvidia sucks?

Not quite indeed. My remarks were meant to show the disparity between their previous actions, and the action of purposefully infiltrating another company and releasing their source code to the public...publicly. Compared to that, their previous stuff was 'tee hee' marketting puffery, etc. Its of the same disparity as shoplifting and rape; vandalism and murder; misdemeanor and felony.

And again, you have zero proof of this corporate espionage. Its a possibility, but its as, or more, likely that its some hacker.

I gotta tell you, you surpise me with the sheer amount of stupidity you express when coming up with these paranoid delusions.

No shit, sherlock. The easiest way for any individual to avoid that would be to not purpetrate the crime, but here you are certain that they've got the motive, the means, and the lack of morals to do it.

You need to stop playing Clue. Col. Mustard did NOT do it in the Kitchen with the wrench.

11. flf

flf
    Newcomer

You're quite right, of course. It was Professor Plum who did it in the Conservatory with Mrs. Peacock.

12. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

At least that story is plausible.

Unless you're into that whole rectal foreign body thing.

13. Natoma

Veteran

Eh? I wasn't fighting over GPL/LGPL and the differences therein. Just stating that I didn't think Vince was insinuating anything sinister is all. Don't drag me into that part. :wink:

14. Fred

Newcomer

You know, it baffles me someone would go to all the trouble of hacking Valve in the first place. Imagine how much time, and preparation it takes to repeatedly access email accounts, send DoS attacks, and peruse computers looking for the code. All this for zero profit, huge risk, the FBI on your tracks and potentially spoiling future development of the most anticipated game out there.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be an inside job, some pissed off X employee getting back at them or some such, certainly his job would be a lot easier since he knows the layout and what to look for.

Or else its just some unemployed l33t hax0r with zero life.

WaltC, try to think the Nvidia conspiracy through a little mmkay?

15. Paul

Veteran

What type of network security does Valve have? What type of boob admin runs their network?

And more importantly, why was the HL2 source on a computer with access to the net? Or am I missing something here?

16. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

This is sad.

Call this paranoia if you wish, but this is my view on how leaks like these affect everyone. Microsoft has already given executives everywhere reason to worry about the technical element of security. Episodes like the Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 leaks further escalate this worry to include the human element. These events cause executives at other companies to take steps to prevent leaks and security breaches. These steps usually stifle efficiency, creativity, and fun in the workplace leading to longer, less inspired, product development times which ultimately hurts the end user. Fortunately this hasn't happened at my company yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen.

A couple people were shocked that the development computers were accessible over the internet. I'm not. I know of a lot of companies who's development systems are connected. Requiring every employee to have two computers is usually cost prohibitive. I can see a few situations where this level of security/paranoia might be necessary, but in general it just makes development more difficult. Especially if multiple sites are involved in the design.

17. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Like pirating music, the end result is the same. See 3dcgi's post above.

Youhave companies spending more and more money / R&D on new ways to combat piracy / theft...and this ultimately makes it worse for us (consumers).

It's wrong. End of story.

18. WaltC

Veteran

BelleVue Sanatorium, Billary, NY. Patient privile
    Heh...:) Disagree all you like. I'm just guessing.

As far as what Newell says, somebody snuck a keystroke program right by them--one that they found and looked at and made some inquiries about, apparently, and as a result have concluded that it's a custom job, specifically tailored to their machines and software environment locally, and one that, being custom, apparently affects them and nobody else, because their virus checkers and other software failed to pick it up. That's their conclusion as of now as I understand it, anyway. I'm not completely satisfied with the explanation, but that may just be because there are certain details the authorities want kept out of the public domain for the time being.

So what is going to motivate somebody to do something like that--somebody who's just sitting in his basement hacking away for the hell of it. This kind of thing isn't like going to GM's website and defacing the front page--something you can sit around in a bar with your buddies and boast about afterwards. The person doing this can't tell anyone--if he/she/it does, there's always the possibility it will come back to bite him. To that end, I can believe that placing a copy of the source online was done just to cover the thieves' tracks--if they should ever be caught with it--they can always maintain they downloaded it just like everybody else who has a copy of it who did download it.

So I would think the likely motivator here was money. The thief was either in the employ of a company, or else was paid by a company to get the source and hand it over, is what I think right now. Newell says their logs show tampering beginning around the 11th of last month, continuing on from there until they got the source. Everybody on earth knew that Valve was planning to ship by Sept. 30th. Only Valve knew it would never make it by then. IMO, the tampering dates indicate someone not inside the company who felt it imperative to get the code before the end of the month. I think it's telling that all of this activity was so recent--right before the game would ship, as far as everybody outside of the company was concerned. Newell was traveling last month and recently--just got back from a thing in Germany for ATi, I think. It was public knowledge he was going.

This is all pure hypothesis on my part. This kind of thing is pretty rare IIRC. Heh...I wish I could say I was convinced of *anything*--but I'm not. Some things don't add up here....

For one thing I really can't understand why they'd leave the source online. It's not that uncommon actually to do that--but this close to completion...I don't know...But I don't know the specifics---doesn't feel right---but that may just be because there are some details being withheld deliberately.

Dig--if it's illegal to deface a web site, hack credit card numbers--don't you think breaking into a private network and stealing the source code for a game like HL2 would be, too? Yea, it's highly illegal. I can't imagine it wouldn't be. It's just like someone breaking and entering and walking off with a copy of the source--there's no difference far as I can see. This isn't only civil--it's a criminal matter.

But to bring up a point that kind of bothered me about Newell's comments--he didn't say anything about notifying the authorities. Maybe Valve already has--who knows. I would be very surprised if I found out Valve/Vivendi would make this kind of public claim without doing so, though.

Man, this whole year has been nuts.

19. Vince

Veteran

Atleast someone gets it. Perhaps if Epicstruggle would stop thinking he disproved something I said (That GPL thing is from GamingAge - which is why I quoted it all) and read the post I made and what I responded to he would grasp this. I have no faith in this though. Which is sad considering I actually went out of my way to state that I wasn't implying the actual charge and said that I didn't know of it's accuracy; not that it has any relevence to the fact that 3rd party code and constructs such as this can easily be integrated into a program and obscured from outside knowlege. Which, amazingly, is the topic I was responding too.

Keep laughing though Epic, ignorance is bliss. While you're at it, how about you disprove more comments I didn't make and didn't intend?
    < thumbs up >

20. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Thanks for explaining your thoughts, they are most intriguing and I will be thinking on them...but it's just way too early to call and I have a weird hunch will all be getting some more info to chew on soon.

This year has been a bit of a weird one, ain't it?