HL2 source has supposedly been leaked

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by bloodbob, Oct 2, 2003.

1. CorwinB

Regular

Err... Calling it "sarcastic" is a good idea if you want to be nice toward your boss, but I wouldn't honestly expect anyone to follow you down this line. BTW, the Good Dr.'s comment would indeed have looked "sarcastic" if he hadn't played "3 monkeys" (don't hear anything, don't see anything, don't say anything) with regard to the events of the past year...

Do I think people are jumping a bit toward conclusions by pointing the finger in NV's direction regarding the HL2 leak ? Yes, although I must admit that the thought crossed my mind too. But I really won't extend that to cover the Good Dr.'s incredibly out of touch with reality spin that was a total disgrace to your review...

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Yeah, it's gonna get interesting now! 8)

3. Mummy

Regular

This suxx :cry:

4. Natoma

Veteran

Personally I wouldn't use that icon. More like :( imo. This may have the following effects

1) Delay Half Life 2 into 2004 or later

2) Destroy any hope of cheat free mp

3) Make a serious dent in Valve's short and long term financials.

This is as disastrous for Valve as someone leaking the Windows source code would be to Microsoft.

5. Mummy

Regular

Yeah natoma, and valve doesnt really deserve this, its bad for the PC as whole.

6. Borsti

Newcomer

@Corwin
    It has nothing to do with beeing nice.... I can understand that it's hard to understand the commentary if you don't know about the business practices happening in the background. Feel free to talk with the board partners about what they think about the IHVs - if they speak open and inofficially to you. You will be surprised. The people who know got the message...

But this is off-topic in this thread.

Lars

7. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

so, I was wrong then... my apologies for that.
    but now, two major questions:
    1. Who?
    2. Why?

it is definately done by a pro... Planned and ordered job, perhaps? a bit too planned and bit too straight forward happening for some script kiddie or hacker. (they usually don't steal stuff.... just f*ck up the system completely) Neither I think it's any of cracking / warez groups, because they actually have rules about releasing stuff as in they try to compete each against other. (or if it is one of those, it will be soon in very bad light and also an ex-group.)

so who it could be and why?

8. Miksu

Regular

I can't really say anything else than this just sucks.

9. jvd

jvd
    Banned

Sounds like valve got hit with slurpee . Its a hack program that records keystrokes and also the programs that the keystrokes were used in .

10. Natoma

Veteran

You know, I just realized something and it's pretty frightening. I don't think I'll be turning on Steam for a while.

11. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Well, before we ask "who", why have to ask "why."

Three possible "whys" IMO:

1) Looking for fame or noteriety. (Same thing that motivates many virus writers.) Someone does it to prove that it can be done, and they get some satisfaction at watching the aftermath they create.

2) Desire to hurt Valve. Someone has a grudge against Valve, and they want to financially damage them. Why would anyone want to damage Valve? My best guess would be Steam. For whatever reason, some people have this surreal hatred of the concept (usually because they don't understand it.) That could lend to some twisted motivation to "send Valve a message."

3) Desire to hurt ATI. Valve is not the only company that stands to lose financially from this...ATI does as well. As we know, ATI has invested lots in the co-promotion of Half-Life. If half-life is significantly delayed, or cheating is so rampant that it lowers the value of half-life, this can hurt ATI in a number of ways.

As for the "who...."

The "who's" behind 1 can be pretty much anyone.

The "who's" behind 2: I don't think anyone could significantly a directly financially benefit Valve taking a hit...so if the motivation was number 2, I'd say it could be pretty much anyone as well. (Anyone who just "doesn't like Valve").

Number 3: Could be some slob who "just doesn't like ATI", or it could be someone who could otherwise financially benefit from a botched ATI/Half-Life launch. That would principally be nVidia (or nVidia employee not acting on nVidia's behalf), or any one of ATI's competitors or competitor's employees.

My hunch? The number 2 scenario....

12. Joe DeFuria

Legend

(See my example number 2).

This can exactly be the intended effect of this whole thing.

Get people turned off to Steam....

13. Natoma

Veteran

Well they've done a damn good job for this consumer if that was the intent. Goddamnit.

14. g__day

Regular

When I read about this last night I was amazed too. I hope this morning it would prove to be an elaborate fake :(

Is it an extortion attempt - we have all your source code - here's a public snippet of what we have - we will give it away free or send it to your competitors? Is it payback against ATi who invest so heavily in Valve for the Doom3 leak? Is it an external job or an inside/outside job covered to look like a pro outside job?

You could speculate for ages with this and not know if you are near the truth or simply doing harm. Instead of this I hope we all give our support to Valve and help them with whatever we know or hear. Whatever hurts them and distracts them really hurts us too.

15. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Suddenly...pirating and such activities doesn't seem like such a good idea, does it?

I am really saddened by this whole thing, and I hope the cuplrit is caught.

16. speng

Regular

Who?: Someone's best guess
    Why?:

Because they could.

Such a shame, this person or whoever it is when caught will pay dearly.

Speng.

17. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

This is most likely related to the problems with Steam that are told to have delayed the release of HL2.

If someone has the source code, he could theoretically hack into Steam, right? Who knows what might have been done with it in the past weeks... And even if nothing happens, the possibilities alone are enough to cripple the whole thing.

This is a very sad day for computer gaming...

18. CorwinB

Regular

Wait, isn't John Carmack a l33t h4x0r ?

Seriously, good analysis, Joe.

19. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Where did you find that bit-o-info Speng?

20. gunblade

Newcomer