HL2 source has supposedly been leaked

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by bloodbob, Oct 2, 2003.

1. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

Link to the source? :D

I would love to play around with it myself. :)

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Changed by request, again. :roll:

EDITED BITS: Changed my reference to a bit more subtle one, but didn't eliminate it entirely since I think it's kind of silly to try and close Pandora's box once it's been opened.

3. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Supposedly no art, so although you can compile some of it, you can't play it. Or it could just be one of those nerdy internet hoaxes that spread like wildfire.

4. bloodbob

bloodbob Trollipop
    Veteran

leaking the source code is far bigger then leaking the game even months after it is out

5. jimbob0i0

Newcomer

well it looks legit.... If I was Gabe I'd be seriously p1$$3d right now. It's gonna making hacking the engine for cheats (online or offline) even easier for those who try.... ah well - so much for HL2 :(

6. digitalwanderer

Legend

I think someone was pissed that the 30th came and went with no benchmark and no announcement of why not. :(

7. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Digit...

I don't think it's appropriate at all to discuss HOW to obtain this.

8. digitalwanderer

Legend

My apologies, if what I changed it to is still offensive I will modify it further but I do think that knowing how it is being circulated is kind of relevant....it isn't something that will do any further harm than has already been done. :(

9. nyt

nyt
    Newcomer

Joe, even if I agree with the idea that no one needs to know how to get it, it's already all over the (use)net..
    I only hope that Valve have included specifics in the source allowing them to trace back the a$$h0le who almost destroyed the amazing amount of effort and IP put into the game.
    Actually, who will take the chance to say it's the real thing?
    And if it's the case, who had interests to do that much harm..

10. CorwinB

Regular

Color me friggin unimpressed, DW... If I can remove a site from my bookmarks for IHV bias, I can certainly remove one for taking part in destroying Valve's hard work...

11. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Fine...then let everyone "just go to the usenet" then. This is not the place to instruct...or tell people where to be instructed, to get this stuff.

12. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Sorry, but I just don't accept that attitude. Giving out information / instructions on how to "get it" is just plain wrong.

I don't run this site, so I don't have any official say of course, but that's just the way I feel.

I have no issue with discussing the leak, the implications of it, etc. But doling out information on how to obtain something that no one has a legal right to, is over the line, IMO.

I respectfully request that you remove (from THIS site), any links, information, or instructions on how to obtain the info.

What you do with your site is your own business. Keep the info there if you must (desptie the immorality of it)...but don't use this site or its forums to link to it, or make reference to it.

13. madshi

Regular

I agree. Posting such info on Beyond3d is like shitting on a piece of cake.

14. madshi

Regular

Did I just write that!? :oops:

15. Sazar

Newcomer

our site is not posting anything relevant to this topic until there is an official statement...

I completely concur with joe's stance on this... it is the work and effort of a company we are talking about and I do look forward to the leak being revealed with great anticipation... regardless of who it was...

16. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

I'd say it's hoax (has more like HL1/quake code than HL2)... Only thing what makes you wonder is the ihvtest_readme.txt. It is cleary made up look like this would be internal src package for some ihv and it is suppose include intructions how to make run this demo faster on some ihv's hardware.

as my own 2 cents:
    someone really has som aggressions against ATI, I'd say... is made up in certain way that it makes ATI looks like being leaker and it also suggest that Valve serves instructions for "application specified optimizations" for ATI.

I really don't like this at all. this is getting way too dirty. :x

17. silhouette

Regular

Is there anyone here who actually downloads this and analyzes the code? I browse some other forums and some people say this is hoax and some people say this is legitimate..

I guess the best place to find if this is legitimate is to check if it really has the dx8/dx9 shaders...

Btw, if this is true, it must be very frustrating to Valve.. 5 years of work and some child minded person blows it up...

I really wonder how something like this big can be leaked to web.. I don't think anybody other than Troika and Valve would have the actual code... Is it possible that someone within these companies leak that out?

18. WaltC

Veteran

BelleVue Sanatorium, Billary, NY. Patient privile
    I agree, it stinks, thoroughly. I posted in another forum here about some HL2 benchmark scores supposedly leaked to Anand Lal Shimpi, who admitted he couldn't verify anything at all, but said he wanted to "share" the scores with his readers. I've got my suspicions as to who is behind this...as Anand says the scores he can't verify come from a "reliable source" I can only think of one source which might benefit from this kind of thing. The proximity in time between these events is interesting, as well.

You know, this is really remarkable. I don't ever remember things getting this dirty before. The 3dfx saga was a "morning in church" compared to what's been developing and accelerating all year. WHAT IS GOING ON?

I guess there's no such thing as a "gentlemen's competition" any more, where the winners are gracious and the losers are graceful. Sheeesh...

19. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

I downloaded it only to check if it is what it is claimed to be. and my conclusion is that it is made up from HL1 SDK, Quake Sources, DX8 SDK, DX9 SDK and some useless files. Only interesting point is that ihvtest_readme.txt. that is so striaght forward targeted to make some bad reputation on Valve <--> ATI co-operation that it makes me feel sick; if this is the business / practise model where 3D graphics is going to go, they can go there without me.