HL2 Demo released

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Miksu, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

Look folks - there are plenty of threads about in this forum to discuss HL2 vs FC vs D3 vs Minesweeper. Stick to the topic (ie. discussing the demo) and cut the tit-for-tat nonsense - either that or I'll just prune the thread. If people want some pointers as to what is worth discussing, with regards to the demo, how about:

> is the demo a good taster for the game?
    > is the balance of levels (one quick starter and a long-ish one) good? Would more but shorter levels be better?
    > is the demo worth several hours of downloading, connecting to Steam, more downloading, unlocking files, more downloading?

2. Murakami

Regular

What? Water? The water in Half Life 2 (if you own a DX9 card) is simply incredible... :?

3. Star_Hunter

Newcomer

Make sure reflect all rather then reflect world is selected

4. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

1. is the demo a good taster for the game?
    Yes.

2. is the balance of levels (one quick starter and a long-ish one) good? Would more but shorter levels be better?
    Meh. You always want more from a demo; this is pretty fair IMO.

3. is the demo worth several hours of downloading, connecting to Steam, more downloading, unlocking files, more downloading?
    No. And quite honestly, with the pricetag involved, neither is the actual game.

As for the water discussion, everyone has their own thoughts I suppose. I think the water is done much better in FarCry, and that's my opinion. Reflect "all" is available in both games, but I happen to think it looks better in FC when reflecting special effects (smoke, fire, glare, tracer rounds during gunfire)

5. Ostsol

Veteran

I'd say it's the "shinier looking game". :wink:

6. hovz

Regular

the lighting has eveyrthing to do with the game appearing flat ostol :?

7. LocutusX

Newcomer

Yes. And for that reason alone, it departed my personal roster of "best games of 2004" a few weeks ago.

8. micron

micron Diamond Viper 550
    Veteran

I know, I was hoping no one took me seriously.

9. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Indeed. If 1 1/2 gigs of CL2.5 500mhz ram, a 3.75ghz Intel Northwood P4 and an unlocked X800Vivo at 555/1166 can't play without stuttering then obvoiusly something is wrong. I can prune the operating system down to like twelve running processes and still get stuttering, which is complete bullshit IMO.

If it took them five plus years to develop this engine, then obviously (to me) it needed another year or so... I've heard people mention the "art", but with the timeframes we're talking, I don't agree. The map detail is nice in places, and there are a few places where textures and normal mapping come together to make it look pretty good. But the places where ALL of that comes into play are few and far between IMO.

Bleh. Every game has it's weaknesses; the size of the weaknesses sometimes washes out the good that was done. In my mind, this applies to Doom3 and it's repetitive dark and more repetitive monster spawning. And in my mind, it also applies to HL2 and it's stuttering, bland textures, generally boring and "small feeling" level design (not all levels mind you, but still a majority in my opinion.)

Doesn't mean I'm right, but I'm still entitled to my opinion. My $30 on FarCry was better spent (IMO) than my $50 on HL2 or $50 on Doom3.

10. Ostsol

Veteran

Only if there is an excess of ambient lighting, or an excess of light sources. In such cases, the shading will simply not be seen and nothing will help -- save for some sort of displacement mapping, but that has nothing to do with lighting. Such cases are also artistic issues.

11. hovz

Regular

than explain to me why for the 2 stages in the demo at least, everything looks extremely flat and out of place.

12. Ostsol

Veteran

Very little specular and relatively subtle normal-maps.

13. hovz

Regular

i dont mean flat as in realistic, i mean flat as in extremely fake.

14. Ostsol

Veteran

The only particularily fake-looking surfaces I noticed were those that had garbage on them, such as papers and such. Most others looked quite good.

15. Eagle-Vision

Regular

Well, what did you expect? The lighting is per-vertex :?

16. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

LOL, you people who say HL2's water looks "amazing" must have missed looking at the ocean. It looks terrible, with tiling taking over very obviously.

Even Halo and definitely FarCry have FAR better water in these situations. Even small lakes in HL2 get tiley.

And, HL2's stutters are something that must have been known by Valve. They chose to ship it anyway. I've yet to see a system which doesn't get sound stutters, and I've seen a WIDE spectrum running the game...P4, Athlon, Athlon XP, Athlon 64, and with different video cards, sound card, and RAM sizes from 512MB to 1.5GB. I call BS. They knew it was a problem, just like they KNEW it wouldn't ship 9/30/03.

17. thegrommit

Newcomer

If someone doesn't have a internet connection at home by now, I doubt that they were ever going to buy the full game anyway (seeing as that's one of the games requirements).

18. Fox5

Veteran

Is this halflife 2 demo like the halflife uplink demo where it was an entirely new mission, or is it just a segment of the single player game?

Maybe they didn't include the highest quality textures in the demo?

19. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

For those of us who've played the game and have no interest in downloading the demo, could someone say what levels the demo includes? :|

20. Ostsol

Veteran