HL2 Demo released

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Miksu, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Miksu

Regular

2. Ostsol

Veteran

3. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Finally!

Installing now....

(*shakes fist at STEAM* :evil: )

4. hovz

Regular

u rly have to play the game to understand how bad the lighting is. i knew it wouldnt be good from the screen shots, but its even worse in the game. the graphics look much better in select pics. far cry looks soooooooooooooooo much better than this game.

5. Ostsol

Veteran

FarCry's lighting is much more dramatic, its bump-mapping more pronounced, but I wouldn't say it's any better. Half-Life looks to be exactly what Max Payne had tried to achieve with materials. It's much more realistic, IMHO.

6. hovz

Regular

half life 2 looks artificial. it looks soooooooooooo flat, probably because of the lighting.

7. Miksu

Regular

And to me HL2 looks the most realistic game I've yet seen. We are different.

8. Ostsol

Veteran

The lighting model is -much- more detailed than Doom 3's (though less dynamic). Any "flat" appearance has nothing to do with the lighting, but with the art.

9. Unknown Soldier

Veteran

Do they really expect me to d/l this demo and get it running using steam when I couldn't get HL2 running with steam 'cause I don't have internet at home?

Idiots.

US

10. micron

micron Diamond Viper 550
    Veteran

Well, I just finished trying the demo out, and I'm pretty sure I dont like it.

I heard so much about the graphics, that maybe I was expecting too much.

This looks like Postal 2 right here :wink: It's nice how the character models are going through each other :?
    [​IMG]

Here's that subtle bump mapping Dave was talking about :D
    [​IMG]

This next screenshot, I wanted to do a little Far Cry comparison.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yep....official studies show that Far Cry is the better looking game :D
    I think I would like HL2 a lot more if it wasnt one puzzle after another. I could also go into the sound stuttering and the nasty load times, but I'm not here to pick on the game. I'm sure it has it's wonderful parts, I simply havent came across any playing the demo yet.

11. Murakami

Regular

Does the demo stutter like the game?

12. micron

micron Diamond Viper 550
    Veteran

Yes, mostly the sound, but the picture stutters also. After a level loads, and I move the character, it has a little fit of stuttering. I hit escape one time to change a setting, and the game locked with the sound on a constant stutter. I was able to ctrl/alt/delete out of it though.

13. Murakami

Regular

Simply laughable: wonder how many users, if only the demo was out before the game, would have bought Half Life 2... :evil:
    Ehm...micron...you've taken the best pictures of Far Cry and the worst of Half Life 2... :lol:

14. Miksu

Regular

You mean that people wouldn't have bought the best game of the year 2004 if they had played the demo first?

15. Miksu

Regular

Not sure about this but afaik the ragdoll-effect's quality is based on how fast your cpu is. If it isn't fast enough, game adjust itself so that the corpses will go through other objects.

16. Fodder

Fodder Stealth Nerd
    Veteran

There's a console command that specifies whether or not ragdolls collide with each other. I don't know it off the top of my head, but it's listed somewhere in here.
    Official studies also show Crytek are yet to grasp subtlety. I love it how they manage to get such a shine on rusted metal.

17. Star_Hunter

Newcomer

I am disappointed with how little normal maps were used in hl2. Although you need to keep in mind that the soruce engine could normal map things much as Far Cry does...in the acutal game the artists decided not to for some reason. So we can just wait to see maps/mods that use normal maps much more.

18. Diplo

Veteran

Well, personally, I would say the "flat" appearance has everything to do with the lighting. Though I totally loved HL2 as a game I did constantly feel like I was in an artificial world; like being on a stage set lit with spot-lights. The flatness to me is a direct result of shadows and lighting not being effected at all by the players POV - you can move around and yet the lighting remains the same. This breaks the illusion of realism for me because it just feels "wrong" and un-natural.

19. Albuquerque

Albuquerque Red-headed step child
    Veteran

Funny you should mention that; I fired up FarCry last night just to have a look. Turns out that the paint is quite shiny, but the rusted spots? Yeah, not shiny. Look at the screencap that was provided of the cylinders in FarCry. Notice the green painted parts are indeed shiny, but the rusted red portions where the paint is flaked away? Notice any gloss there? No, you don't.

FarCry does have some issues with "over-shiny-ness" (is that even a proper word?), but it does a LOT of things better than HL2 in the graphics department. The foremost of which is up close detail and total view plane distances. Other big ones include much better water, much better fog, much better overall color saturation, much better projected lighting (ie flashlight), etc.

I find that weapons balance and vehicles are about the same (with obvious exception to HL2's gravity gun -- that's bad ass!) I also happen to find that enemy AI is about equal, as I've seen both games do some dumb things, and then do some really cool things. And while a few of the puzzles in HL2 show off the physics engine, I'm not convinced that it's so much better than FarCry's. You can build quite a few physics puzzles using the FarCry Editor to perform some pretty wild and entertaining tasks.

HL2 does do much better in the storyline, non-human enemies and multiplayer options than FarCry in my opinion. Wild crazy apes isn't that great, and a dude hell-bent on taking over the world by way of making mutants is pretty overplayed. ;) I think FarCry has possibilities for multiplayer, but the netcode still needs a lot of work.

Why did I just get done blathering about this? Because had this demo been out before the game, I'm thinking the sales would have been like HALF of what they were.

20. Murakami

Regular

Yes: because the game of the year 2004, and one of the best games i've ever played, stutters on too many rigs (not mine), for unknown reasons...see Steam forum if you don't believe me... :roll: