Hitman :Absolution : I Never Left !!

Seems like what conviction was to splinter cell games, I hope this is only one of the few scripted missions which moves the story forward, I'll be disappointed if the entire game turned out this linear and scripted.

Seems like what conviction was to splinter cell games, I hope this is only one of the few scripted missions which moves the story forward, I'll be disappointed if the entire game turned out this linear and scripted.

Ya ! Thats the impression I got. It feels like a comletely scripted mission with every element placed there to be done. Thats why games these days feel like a checklist of thiings to be done, instead of fun !

So instead of planning out a mode of entry by observing patrols, we can just wall hack instead?

Well at least it's optional I guess.

Ya ! Thats the impression I got. It feels like a comletely scripted mission with every element placed there to be done. Thats why games these days feel like a checklist of thiings to be done, instead of fun !

I'd have to disagree. It seems to me that video illustrates several different approaches you could take. Those scripted moments seem to be triggered specifically by taking certain actions, like taking the cop hostage (instead of continuing with complete stealth, or keeping with stealth take downs).

Very impressed with the video, myself.

My point being...I dont see what Hitman has always been about, in that video.
When I say this I am referring to the sandbox kind of gameply from Hitman games where you could explore and take multiple paths and had multiple ways to get results...which ultimately involved an assassination.

Even the scripted sequences of earlier Hitman games like Hitman Contract's opening didnt have this much hand holding, and seriously what is wrong with every other stealth/adventure game employing a 'vision' mode which is either a wall hack or basically 'make anything imortant glow' mode...it started with Assassin's Creed, was in Batman, was present in a way in the last Splinter Cell game (important objects were colored when everything else was black and white when under shadows) and will be in the next Tomb Raider game and is in this game.

My point being...I dont see what Hitman has always been about, in that video.
When I say this I am referring to the sandbox kind of gameply from Hitman games where you could explore and take multiple paths and had multiple ways to get results...which ultimately involved an assassination.

I see your point, but I'm not seeing anything that would indicate fewer paths or options in that video. I just see that one specific path was taken. They happened to take the very heavy action path in the end (but were clearly leaning towards stealth in the beginning). I'm guessing they wanted to show how the combat mechanics would hold up when doing stealth and when doing heavy action.

Even the scripted sequences of earlier Hitman games like Hitman Contract's opening didnt have this much hand holding, and seriously what is wrong with every other stealth/adventure game employing a 'vision' mode which is either a wall hack or basically 'make anything imortant glow' mode...it started with Assassin's Creed, was in Batman, was present in a way in the last Splinter Cell game (important objects were colored when everything else was black and white when under shadows) and will be in the next Tomb Raider game and is in this game.

Okay, the vision thing I can agree with. :D Never really bothered me, but it definitely coddles the player, removes some of the tension from the game.

I don't think there is any other way to play the part where he takes the cop hostage. They made a grand finale and an exciting new entry for the Hitman. There's no option there from what I see.

Hard to say. In the cop hostage part, he could presumably dress himself as a cop and walk out. May be there is an alternate route out of this.

How does the original Hitman play ? Is it like Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed and Meta Gear Solid ?

The thing about that cop scene is someone should have found the dead or fainted cops already.

I thought the video is pretty elaborate/impressive with no break in between. However does it mean if I fail, I have to do the whole thing all over again ?

I don't mind the wall hack because there are many "enemies" in the level. In MGS4, I remember we only deal with up to 5 people at any one time.

The tools (e.g., the small statue head) look optional too.

EDIT: Also, is the police's cap low enough to cover his barcode ?

Old Hitman games werent like Splinter cell or MGS, they were different.
Basically you were given an assassination target at the start (or two or three, depending on level) and you were dropped in a big area where you had to take them out in whichever way you find to be the most suitable...but before that you need to get close to the target or get in a position to assassinate, and doing that makes up for the majority of the game. The games have always had many ways to approach the target.

Cool. I was pretty happy when he put on the cop uniform. Hopefully you can put on anyone's clothes. There was nothing more fun than strangling a janitor, stealing his clothes and dumping his body out a window. I wonder if you can drag bodies around in this one. Planning assassinations was one of the best things about the originals, so hopefully this is not too laid out for you. If there is a good mix of scripted story-driven action missions and free-form planning missions, I'd be happy. All that said, Hitman 2 is one of the first games I remember having cool ragdoll on bodies, and that made it a hell of a lot of fun to just shoot everything in sight.

Old Hitman games werent like Splinter cell or MGS, they were different.
Basically you were given an assassination target at the start (or two or three, depending on level) and you were dropped in a big area where you had to take them out in whichever way you find to be the most suitable...but before that you need to get close to the target or get in a position to assassinate, and doing that makes up for the majority of the game. The games have always had many ways to approach the target.

Cool so you have to social engineer NPCs ? Or is it pure action ?

Cool so you have to social engineer NPCs ? Or is it pure action ?

Not just that, you can practically 'take' the role of any NPC.
Suppose you need to get into a restricted area, you can either just go stealth or kill everyone, or take a different path OR kill/knock out someone like a janitor/delivery man/whoever that's allowed in the area and steal his clothes and get in. Another instance, for example a meeting is supposed to take place between your target and one of his clients, you can steal your clients identity and get close to your target and after that its upto you over how you want to kill your target, sedating his drink? causing an accident? or just directly blowing him up...your choice.

Once you get in a disguise its time for making another set of decisions, if you are an 'outsider' allowed in the area like a delivery man then the NPCs will notice if you do anything else other than doing your job etc etc.

That's awesome ! I doubt they will take away this flexibility then. Seems too good to abandon for scripted cutscenes and gameplay. [touch wood]

Not just that, you can practically 'take' the role of any NPC.
Suppose you need to get into a restricted area, you can either just go stealth or kill everyone, or take a different path OR kill/knock out someone like a janitor/delivery man/whoever that's allowed in the area and steal his clothes and get in. And then its time for making another set of decisions, if you are an 'outsider' allowed in the area like a delivery man then the NPCs will notice if you do anything else other than doing your job etc etc.

I still have fond memories of one of the very first missions in Hitman 2, I think it was, where your target is in a Villa. At the start of the mission there's a truck pulling up to do a grocery deliver (IIRC) that you can exploit to make it in. So long as you're carrying one of the pallets of goods and go where you're supposed to. I think there was a package being delivered on foot around back at the side entrance as well. The section in the Absolution video where he stops to eat a donut reminds me of that a bit (although I initially thought he was going to pick up one of those ARs in front of the table and go Rambo on them).

I thought he was gonna pick up the rifle as well and was ready to facepalm...but then. :p

That's awesome ! I doubt they will take away this flexibility then. Seems too good to abandon for scripted cutscenes and gameplay. [touch wood]

]Well they said something about previous game having too many 'doors' that player can open, leading to players being confused....which tbh isnt really correct.

They would be talking about people like me ! ^_^

Restricting some paths that lead to dead ends may be fine. Throwing away the entire framework/mechanism may be overkill.

Back