High Resolution textures replacement for N64 project

Farid

Artist formely known as Vysez
Veteran
Supporter
Before I start, if Sonic, jvd, or an admin think that the subject of emulation is not suitable for the forum, then feel free to delete this thread.

It seems that the creator of one of video plugin for N64 emulation, added, in the last version of his plugin, the possibility to override the original textures with higher resolution ones.

Since the creation of the new textures is not hassle-free, the creator of the plugin decided to concentrate on a few games, Zelda OoT and Mario 64.

Here's the thread of the project with WIP pictures, etc...

The point of this thread is to show this project if you never herd about it before, yeah.
But it also, and the main reason for me, to remind how friging tiny N64 textures are! Here's some Zelda Oot textures:

thelegendofzelda0c21102e02rgb1.png

thelegendofzelda0fe4ca5202rgb4.png

thelegendofzelda2a0d362202rgb8.png

thelegendofzelda3fd05a0202rgb8.png

After all thoses years I'm still amazed by how in the world this 4k texture cache limit found its way in the final N64 hardware...

And before someone asks if 32x64 wasn't a common size for texture on other machine too, here's some PSone textures (FFIX):

ff902185dm.png

ff926876xi.png

ff926889kx.png

ff901989sq.png

Cool project.

PS Those zidane texture pics remind me of some psx model animated gifs I've seen around.

Anyone know How to rip 2d/3d models from rpgs/games and turn them into animated gifs?

zidane1strife said:
Cool project.

PS Those zidane texture pics remind me of some psx model animated gifs I've seen around.

Anyone know How to rip 2d/3d models from rpgs/games and turn them into animated gifs?

Guess u'd need a 3D application, render whatever animation u need the gif to show and that's it. But i'm not sure how u'd strip a PS1 model to any 3D application available to "normal" people. I wouldn't know how to do it with Maya.

london-boy said:
zidane1strife said:
Cool project.

Guess u'd need a 3D application, render whatever animation u need the gif to show and that's it. But i'm not sure how u'd strip a PS1 model to any 3D application available to "normal" people. I wouldn't know how to do it with Maya.

I've seen a "Sephiroth"(ff7) animated 3d model floating around the web(I've got one), and was wondering just how they did it(maybe the pc version?). Also I like some of those 2d fighter sprite animations I've seen floating around, they make cool avatars(I'm looking for one from Apocalypse, and a few fighters from the marvel/xmen vs capcom/street fighter games, I've only seen stills).

zidane1strife said:
london-boy said:
zidane1strife said:
Cool project.

I've seen a "Sephiroth"(ff7) animated 3d model floating around the web(I've got one), and was wondering just how they did it(maybe the pc version?). Also I like some of those 2d fighter sprite animations I've seen floating around, they make cool avatars(I'm looking for one from Apocalypse, and a few fighters from the marvel/xmen vs capcom/street fighter games, I've only seen stills).

I used to have a bookmarked site with a ton of them.

Thtas an awesome idea!!

Too bad its still too early and theres not much results aside from interface icons/font =\

Its in my radar now though ;)

Back