high resolution displays

malcolm

Newcomer
Id like to have a 200dpi flatpanel display with 1000/1 or better contrast ratio and at least 500 brightness and 15ms or less latensy.
So probably 2560x1920 17 inch at least but more is better ofcource.
It would be for the new windows using graphics acceleraters in a few years, i think it will look great in higher dpi with higher resolution text.
Does anyone know when displays with these specs will be available and maybe affordable too? im hoping 3-5 years?
Maybe someone can give me some links to articles about new display technology that will do this?
I dont think lcd will ever get these specs so i guess it will be a while.
Untill then im sticking with my crt but id realy like a better one :LOL: .

I know there are already high resolution lcd's like one from iiyama with 3840x2400 resolution.
But the contrast and brightness is to low and 50ms latensy i think.
And i think the price is about 10000$ or more :eek: .
Im not gonna buy a display with less then the specs i said before, especialy not with such a high price :)
I think probably about 22inch 3200x2400 is what im gonna wait for.

Reason im asking this is because if this isnt available for under maybe 1500$ within 4 years orso i might just buy a current 100dpi lcd (if the other specs get better especialy latensy).

The problem with LCD displays is that they suck :)

As long as we are summing up favourites Ill just mention PL-LCDs the only candidate which apart from some new phosphors doesnt need any new technology to be manufacturered (of course latency might still be an issue).

BTW when looking up the name of the technology (I forgot :) I found the following site with display news which seems nice :
http://www.optics.org/articles/displays

Yes they suck, everything sucks, thats why we always want to upgrade :LOL: .
I wish i could just buy a 50inch 16:9 600dpi screen for 500$.
Same with graphics cards... I will keep wanting a new one for many years to come i think.

malcolm said:
Yes they suck, everything sucks, thats why we always want to upgrade :LOL: .
I wish i could just buy a 50inch 16:9 600dpi screen for 500$.
Same with graphics cards... I will keep wanting a new one for many years to come i think.

You're probably in for a long wait, if you are waiting for the the flat panel of your dreams. :) Prices for large size panels will drop relatively quickly, but TFTs have inherent problems which won't improve that quickly. Perhaps never, if something better comes along which is sufficiently cheap to manufacture.

When I bought my last 21" CRT two years ago I thought "Goddammit, this is the last time I lug around 30+ kilos of fragile glass and analog circuitry". Well, as I've been checking for larger screen options for my wifes Powerbook this winter, I can't see TFTs making giant strides really other than in the price of 17-18 inchers. If we decide to buy, it will probably be another Sony CRT. Damn. Helps with the manly image though, since she will want me to help her as soon as she wants to change the furniture around. ;)

Entropy

You are probably right, im hoping for to much :cry: .
Im just gonna stick with my crt and see what happens in the future :) .

Looks good :) .
Less then 1ms response time, dont need better then that :) .
But they dont seem to be planning to make computer displays right now.

I have seen images somewhere of a watch with a tv using the Light Emitting Polymer, I can't seem to find it anymore.
When I first had a look at the site they claimed that they were working with Epson, and that a slightly modded InkJet printer was sufficient to print a screen.
They have been working to try and improve the color range available. I think it would be pretty neat if you could just roll up a screen and take it anywhere.

CC

I still think scanning is one of the best display technologies around, mainly because its so damn simple ... and optical scanning is simpler than electron-beam scanning (no need for heavy tubes either). With blue laser LEDs becoming more durable and cheaper and UV-VCELs on the horizon I think scanning displays will make a comeback, much to the disgust of a lot of people here I guess ;)

MfA said:
I still think scanning is one of the best display technologies around, mainly because its so damn simple ... and optical scanning is simpler than electron-beam scanning (no need for heavy tubes either). With blue laser LEDs becoming more durable and cheaper and UV-VCELs on the horizon I think scanning displays will make a comeback, much to the disgust of a lot of people here I guess ;)

Agreed, but only backprojection Monitors using Lasers like this one :

http://www.siliconlight.com/htmlpgs/homeset/homeframeset.html

Maybe this company is farther down the road :

http://www.ifire.com/index.cfm

They claim that they will have 34-42inch flat panel TLED TV's in 2003 !

Ah - so Westaim are finally getting their display tech up and running. I read an article about them a few years back and they supposedly should have had the technology working much sooner than this. I'd be surprised if they do get their TVs on the market in 2003. In fact, I've just read their press release of 20th May and they say they will have the large screen TVs in manufacture in 2005 so we're some way off as yet.

Is there time for OLEDs or LEPs to arrive on the market before then, I wonder?

Back