High quality Shadowrun vids from X06

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
The concept is interesting, but this game still looks awful. The environments are bland and boring. Worst of all, it looks like the controls will be difficult on a gamepad. You can see him swinging wildly back and forth trying to aim at his opponents. It' frustrating just to watch it.

Who knows, maybe this game will be a blast. It'll have to be DAMN good to compete with games like Unreal Tournament and Battlefield.

Good quality videos but oh my god what a crappy game

The mainstream gaming press thinks the game is hot stuff. Not that Shadowrun will be everyones cup of tea, but the game design looks solid. Don't forget you can factor in that the lead designer of Halo is also the lead designer for Shadowrun.

"This is like one of the most fun multiplayer games I've ever played."-1up.com

"FASA is gearing up to deliver what should prove to change the way we not only think of first-person shooters, but the ways in which we play them as well."-Team X-Box

"Microsoft wants to transform the way multiplayer action games are played, and with Shadowrun, it has an impressive case for change"-Gamespot

"The gameplay is different than any other FPS I've picked up - it's fluid, strategic and quirky - and little I've read has done it justice."-Kotaku

"Our gameplay sessions were a lot of fun as we learned more and more on how to combine the game’s unique mix of weapons, tech and magic (sometime to the detriment of our character’s lives) and if the team can keep the balance of all of these features just right we think they could have a lot of converts from players from other games."-Firing Squad

"We got a chance to sit down with members of the development team and a number of other media outlets to test out the most recent build, and walked away impressed."-IGN

"Overall Shadowrun is a fast, frantic and fun team based game set in the Shadowrun universe."-Evil Avatar

Worst of all, it looks like the controls will be difficult on a gamepad. You can see him swinging wildly back and forth trying to aim at his opponents. It' frustrating just to watch it.
Agree entirely , but this is not a problem only for the specific fps but for every single cosole shooter.
At single player they are bearably playable but every time i m watching multiplayer action the whole situation looks laughable. Most of the players desperatly try to aim with the right stick and as you said most of the times is frustrating just to watch it. Its like watch elephants who try to dance ballet :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Shadowrun done right would have been a combination of Fallout and Deus Ex. (Or heck, just try to be Deus Ex since DE:IW screwed things up. :p ) A game like this in no way needed the license, or connects to anyone who KNOWS the license.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering just what the game has inside, because none of the videos we've seen so far really shows Step 1 of any "tactical" or "transformative" nature of the game. (Something which I think was first done well by Wheel of Time, though it was killed by its' net code, and then refined much further in the Jedi Knight series.)

The mainstream gaming press thinks the game is hot stuff. Not that Shadowrun will be everyones cup of tea, but the game design looks solid. Don't forget you can factor in that the lead designer of Halo is also the lead designer for Shadowrun.

What's funny about those quotes is that they all say what a great FPS it is, there's nothing indicative of the fact that it's supposedly based off a PnP RPG license.

Shadowrun done right would have been a combination of Fallout and Deus Ex. (Or heck, just try to be Deus Ex since DE:IW screwed things up. :p ) A game like this in no way needed the license, or connects to anyone who KNOWS the license.

I was hoping for something like that too, just much bigger in scale (recreate one of the main shadowrun cities). I guess since the Wizkidz & MS dealings, things have been kept relatively low-budget.

From the videos, the action kind of reminds me more of UT. Inside the RNA building, it did feel "Shadowrun" to me, but everything else felt... low budget. Like a community mod-team could make this if they had time.

@Brimstone:
Who is the lead designer for Shadowrun? I believe Jaime Griesemer is Halo's lead designer, and I believe he is still at Bungie. I could be wrong, though.

Agree entirely , but this is not a problem only for the specific fps but for every single cosole shooter. At single player they are bearably playable but every time i m watching multiplayer action the whole situation looks laughable. Most of the players desperatly try to aim with the right stick and as you said most of the times is frustrating just to watch it. Its like watch elephants who try to dance ballet :D
You should watch videos of decent people playing FPS with a controller (www.mlgpro.com has many such videos). It's not quite as awkward as an "elephant dancing ballet" if you know what you're doing. Here's a small tip: you don't aim with the "aim" stick. You "aim" with the "move" stick, which gives you much finer aim control, especially when you're strafing.

Here's a small tip: you don't aim with the "aim" stick. You "aim" with the "move" stick, which gives you much finer aim control, especially when you're strafing.
Yep. I'm sure the idea sounds like the weirdest thing ever to people who don't use it.

BTW: Bungie Staff (current and former) list: Tada! (I didn't know about John Howard either)

@Brimstone:
Who is the lead designer for Shadowrun? I believe Jaime Griesemer is Halo's lead designer, and I believe he is still at Bungie. I could be wrong, though.

John Howard is lead designer for Shadowrun. He was also lead designer on Halo.

This game isn't complete yet. Those videos are only showing the Elf and Human race fighting each other. Both Trolls and Dwarves have yet to be shown. I haven't seen minions in any gameplay footage either.

They built proto-types of the game on barebones engine technology when development started. The strategy was to insure that gameplay was the heart and soul of Shadowrun. Once the game was fun, then effort started to be put into the graphics. Gameplay before graphics what a refreshing change in my opinion.

Keep in mind how much summoned stuff will be able to brought into the game by players. All 16 players can cast spells like "Tree of Life" and "Strangle Veins". When a "Tree of Life" comes into play, it is an actual object you can hide behind to take cover for bullets.Maps are going to end being heavily populated by all kinds of magicly summoned objects.

I'm going to guess by the time we start to see finaly videos with all the different elements in action, the shear amount of stuff going on will be staggering. A game like Gears of War looks really pretty, but for online play it's a max of 8 players. Shadowrun on the other hand is 16 players, plus perhaps dozens of additional objects like "minions".

As far as the Shadowrun license goes, the only thing that really bugs me is lack of a "Ork" race to choose from. To me that is lame. Orks play a huge role in the ambience of the Shadowrun world setting. Everything else is fine to me, and I used to play the pen and paper roleplaying game. The roleplaying game is heavily geared towards combat.

@Brimstone:

Lead designer for Halo was John Howard. Who doesn't like it while Skiing if you yell at the top of your lungs: "Is that John Howard, THE lead designer of halo" over and over and over.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

As far as the Shadowrun license goes, the only thing that really bugs me is lack of a "Ork" race to choose from. To me that is lame. Orks play a huge role in the ambience of the Shadowrun world setting. Everything else is fine to me, and I used to play the pen and paper roleplaying game. The roleplaying game is heavily geared towards combat.

Lame, but I guess they do have a decent explanation now. (They've redone the background story so that it makes sense and is more inline with the original story)

Back