Hey Hey! Buying a new Graphic Card advice needed

Prathik

Newcomer
Hii, first post here :D
i was wondering if you guys can help me out with computer graphic cards.. im a graphic card virgin.
See, i've had this realy crap card for ages.. SiS 661FX, i dont know much bout it, but all i know is its realy realy crap.. So yeah, i convinced my dad to buy a card, but the price range was under 250 australian bucks..

Thuss, i dont know anything about cards, but i was wondering if you guys could pin point me a card of goodvalue for around -250 bucks, and if it would work on my computer..
Heres some comp info:
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
2.79 GHz, 736 MB of Ram
i also got round 100 gb

Thanks again! :)

Is there an AGP slot on your motherboard? If not, you're going to be seriously limited not just in options (you'll have to find a PCI graphics card, and they're not very common these days), but also performance (PCI is damn slow by todays' standards)...

I updated the thread title to something more descriptive, if you don't mind, Prathik.

As Guden pointed out, can you tell us if your motherboard supports an AGP or a PCI-Ex port for the graphic board?

Welcome on the board, by the way.

Heck he might be able to buy a motherboard with integrated gpu and a cpu and pci-e slot for $250 and still come out smelling like a rose.

Thanks for replying guys :D and Vysez thanks for changing the title :)
umm.. about the AGP and stuff.. how do i find out?

I personally might try to buy a used card. I would not sink money into an AGP slot too much.

I bought a new x1900 AIW for $200 a couple months ago so you can get a really fast card for $250.00

If his dad is willing to shell out exactly $250 I think he should get the most he can out of it.

Digi a x850 is pretty terrible for the price considering a x1900 is the same. I mean really that is a horrible deal.

I think that if it a homebuilt Computer i.e. regular power supply he should buy a cheap new mobo and a PCIe card it is possible to get it for $250 and it would destroy the x850.

Uhm, thats 250 AUSTRALIAN dollars. Last I checked with Australian computer equipment, that $250 AU goes as far as $100 US in the best case.

@BRiT Aussie currecy isnt that badd, for example in the nVIDIA link i posted above, US 179 bucks goes round 250 Aus buckss.

Well part of what I was factoring in is the price for NEW, which is significantly higher. Not sure if it has to do with VATs or import taxes.

Also, that card pointed there is for Pci-Express. It will NOT work in an AGP slot.

Yeah, the 7600 GT is a nice gaming card. Good bang for buck, but a PCIe version won't fit into your AGP slot.

X800 GTO might not be a bad choice, or is that out of your pricerange too?

A used card probably would be the best way to go, no way you're going to get any hellacious deals on a new AGP card right now. :???:

Avoid that card! It's not a full speed GT, it's crippled by slow memory. Also, it won't work in your PC, as it's been noted. :) In general, if you can find a 7600GT, get one with 256MB rather than 512MB to lessen the chances of getting one with slow RAM.

There's a Leadtek AGP 7600GT for US$180, though it's very rare here (sold out now, and sells out quickly once in stock). If you can find one locally, I'd get it. Otherwise, consider a 7600GS (but know it's not nearly as fast as the GT), or look for a new or used X800GTO/Pro/XT or 6800/GT.

Easiest way to confirm you've got an AGP slot is to remove the side of your computer case and see if there's a brown slot in the middle left of the motherboard, above (and slightly offset from) a bunch of white ones. Your MB may support AGP, but double check to ensure it's actually got the physical slot.

Try checking out Overclockers.com.au buy and sell forum. Plenty of bargains to be had. And at least the users there will have a better idea what you can get with Australian Dollars.:cool:

But if you want new you should be able to pick up an ATI X800XL or an Nvidia GF 6800GS for under $250.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back