Heroes - Suda 51's cell-shaded... something for Wii

sfried

Regular
In the style of Killer 7, Grasshopper has apparently announced the new game they're working for the Wii.

For those who know where to get the video...

The art direction is, as expected, superb. Hopefully, it's more than just a shooter on rails. Killer7 had a good art direction and story, but its gameplay was somewhat lacking.

Should be something to keep an eye on! Killer7 was an interesting title, and hopefully Suda51 and pals can improve upon what didn't work and continue to run with what did...

Thanks a lot for the links. Woah, awesome art and style ... the voice acting is kinda wonky/cheesy though.

Very convincing anime art-style. Not sure about the game though... I hope they have AA. These cartoon/cell shaded styles need more IMO.

That's fine and all, but that's a just a nice (if you like the style) CG video, nothing else.

And as someone who played and finished Killer7, I can't say that I'm really looking forward to this game. While Killer7 was extremely original from a graphical, artistic point of view, it's gameplay was abismally dumb, it was an action adventure game on rails (As in Virtua Cop without the lightgun). The action wasn't challenging one bit, the puzzle part were nothing but an excuse to make you back track and the numerous loadings each time you entered a new room/place was hindering the pace of the game.
I can't say that I was particulary compelled by the nonsensical story, neither. Well, its supposed to have a structure (convoluted, on purpose) and some sort of plot twist. Not that I specially hated it or anything, it was just so strange (good part) and anti climatic (bad part) at the same time that I didn't care enough to have any clear cut opinion about the story. I just didn't care...

Anyway, to me, Killer7 was a very interesting interactive graphical experience. But it wasn't a good game experience at all.

By the way, Helter Skelter, Travis Touchdown and Sylvia Christel, it can't hardly get any more cheesy than that. :LOL:

Heroes for Wii from Suda 51

Brief interview here:
http://www.thewiire.com/news/315/1/EXCLUSIVE_The_Wiire_Talks_Heroes_with_Suda_51

Links to some footage here:
http://www.thewiire.com/news/371/1/Heroes_First_Footage_and_Details

Same footage, compressed, but on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4U4236lzUg

As with Killer7, the footage really gives me no idea what the hell this game is about or what kind of game it is. I'm one of the few that really liked Killer7, so I'm looking forward to how Heroes turns out. It looks to be just as sense-jarring as his last game.

I really like the graphical style and the sound. Too bad i cant say the same thing about the cheesy dialogue, its extremely annoying.

I enjoyed Killer7. I liked the rhythm of the game and enjoyed switching the different characters in and out, the cutscenes, the boss puzzles, etc. Of course, it's even more of an "interactive movie" than even the Metal Gear Solid series. There's an in-depth analysis of the symbolism in the story floating around, I think it's on Gamefaqs. Did you play it on the PS2? On Gamecube, the load times weren't a problem. I'm going to guess the aliasing problems were in part due to the PS2 becoming the lead platform sometime in 2003. I think people either loved or hated this game.

Well, from the short video clip, it seems that the story is likely more straight-forward: The main protoganist is a new assassin on the rise in the board of the most dangerous killers. If this isn't on rails, it could be an artful Hitman.
As I said before hopefully this isn't a simple on rails shooter, but a more sophisticated free moving game.

The graphics and art work look amazing.

But the voice acting... cringe!

I'll probably have to play the Japanese version, the english dub for the voices are just going to destroy the game for me. Similarly with the DMC, I just cannot stand the english language versions.

What passes for cool in Japanese and what passes for cool in English is totally different. In english, the guy does not sound like a bad ass at all. Just an annoying smart ass punk kid.

inefficient said:
What passes for cool in Japanese and what passes for cool in English is totally different. In english, the guy does not sound like a bad ass at all. Just an annoying smart ass punk kid.
I'm with you. I demand DVD-like options. Japanese and english selectable tracks, plus subtitles for all releases.

Maybe the voices are just placeholders for now. Killer7's voice work was some of the best I've heard in a Japan -> USA transition; I have a hard time believing they'd blow it that badly for their next game.

Who did the voices in Killer7? They are probably handling the localization in US again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back