Heroes of the Storm [PC]

I don't know much about MOBA games, but there seems to be some kind of leveling grind built into it; you can buy exp boosts I've read, so in order to make them worthwile it's a fairly tedious grind?

Why the leveling? It's essentially an action strategy game, yes? What purpose does leveling serve in that kind of setting? You didn't level shit in starcraft for example, or insert-RTS-franchise-of-your-choice. Seems kludged on to squeeze your own players' tits for money - which pretty much describes any and all "free"-to-play games ever.

It's basically Baby's first MOBA. :D

That said, it's a pretty good casual introduction to the MOBA genre. You don't have to worry about snowballing, determining what items you need to buy, or even chat griefing from the opposing taem. EXP earned is for the entire team, so supports don't have to worry about getting enough levels to be relevant in the later parts of the game. Etc.

The leveling structure has absolutely Zero impact on gameplay itself. It's basically just a way to earn some extra in-game gold (to buy certain cosmetics or unlock more characters) as well as unlocking 2 extra color schemes for yourself and your default mount.

Levels also determine at what point you can start playing on the ranked ladder.

IE - real money can be spent on convenience, cosmetics, and unlocking heroes permanently for your account. But otherwise aren't needed. For example, I now have 15 characters unlocked on my account and I haven't spent any real money. I'm max level 40 and eligible for ranked ladder as well as team ranked ladder (must qualify for ranked ladder and have 10 heroes unlocked).

Regards,
SB

Had a go today for the first time and kept coming back for 'just one more go'. It's the first MOBA I've actually enjoyed.

What is snowballing? The definition I know (the first page of google results).. surely not :runaway:

It's a term used to describe when your carry (term for the person/character most liley to carry the team to victory in the late game) does so well that he starts to snowball (get larger) in terms of net worth (items and money) and levels compared to everyone else in the game. When that happens it also will generally have a trickle down effect on the rest of his team as you'll be able to kill the enemy team more often and they'll be less able to spread out and farm creep (jungle monsters and lane minions) for fear of being ganked.

It's still possible to come back from that for good teams, but for pubs (public games with randoms) it would generally require the snowballing team to throw the game in order to win.

In Heroes of the Storm, EXP is shared with the team and there is no money or items to buy. So while your team can snowball to an extent (team level compared to opposing team), it's not as dominating as in a traditional MOBA. And almost impossible between teams of equal skill.

Regards,
SB

Yeah lol me too :runaway:

I think I get it but I'm thinking in terms of WoT gameplay where often one or two players on a team do as much damage as 2/3 or more of the rest of the team combined but trying to imagine with the tank leveling up its power, healing & respawning as the battle progresses :confused:

Watch some of the DOTA2 International games and you'll get an idea of what a MOBA is all about.

So basically HotS is better balanced and more user friendly, removing intra-team competition, is that right ?
(It matches what my LoL/dota friends are telling me.)

So basically HotS is better balanced and more user friendly, removing intra-team competition, is that right ?
(It matches what my LoL/dota friends are telling me.)

Yes, it free's up your team members to do what they need to do without having to make sacrifices to do it. A support doesn't have to sacrifice gold farming to the carries, for example, as there is no gold. The same goes for EXP because all EXP is shared team wide. In pub games, that could lead to that intra-team competition and even griefing, but doesn't really exist in organized team play (although resource management is still required as there is a finite quantity of EXP/Gold per minute available).

It significantly simplifies the game, but in doing so, also removes much of the strategy involved in many MOBAs. For example, there is no need to last hit. It's also not possible to deny a kill to the enemy team (killing your own minion/structure to reduce how much EXP/gold the opposing team gets from it). Character builds are far more limited. Etc.

As I said, it's a fantastic introduction to the MOBA genre. You'll get to pick up some of the basics (skill management, movement of character and camera, lane basics, etc.) with simplified game mechanics. As a result it's less confusing/intimidating to start for new players and games are also significantly shorter.

And for gamers that appreciate/play the more advanced MOBAs like DOTA or LoL, it's a nice casual relaxing experience (although some still take it ultra seriously :p).

Regards,
SB

Yeah lol me too :runaway:

I think I get it but I'm thinking in terms of WoT gameplay where often one or two players on a team do as much damage as 2/3 or more of the rest of the team combined but trying to imagine with the tank leveling up its power, healing & respawning as the battle progresses :confused:

One way to think of a MOBA is as a mini-RPG, but compressed into a 20-60 minute (10-20 minute for Heroes of the Storm) time frame. You level up from level 1 at the start to X level by the end of the game. Meanwhile buying items (to improve your character) and increasing skill levels or attribute points while you level up, in a traditional MOBA.

Regards,
SB

Sounds like an RTS with some RPG/hack & slash mechanics.

Just to be accurate DOTA started as a warcraft mod, not HOTS.

I'm playing on EU. Though I'm not on all that much at the moment.

You can play on whatever server you like. If using the battle.net launcher the option to switch server is just above the play button. If it's like other blizzard games I've tried, you wont have access to your already purchased heroes, it would be like having a new account.

Been playing this game and it's basically a blizzard cash grab that is missing very key features. in short, only good if you don't have time for longer games. with a 1yr old i don't so i play this but it's very lacking in many basic areas. not even worth going into detail over.

Really? I play a couple of nights a week with a mate. Love it. I've not spent a single penny and own 4 characters with plenty of gold left for more.

Back