Hero - anyone seen it yet?

The fighting/camerework is topnotch, and the use of colors is neat; but the movie itself is pretty lame and predictable.

It's like a really bad kung-fu movie, but with killer production values....I'd wait for the DVD.

EDITED BITS: The arrow artillery scenes are almost worth the price of admission, but it's a one trick wonder.

It's also cut from the original version for western audiences by about 30-40 minutes.

But it's THE most beautiful movie I've ever seen.

the movie was tremendous... scenery... dialogue... the story...

it was just excellent...

and the fact that it was loosely based off of actual events beats everything else :)

its a lot like Rashomon wrt flashbacks and how they are used but thats the extent of the similarity...

the story is tight and the pacing good throughout and the use of colors is spectacular :)

crouching tiger/hidden dragon was a good movie... IMO hero spanks it all over the place though... fewer plot holes, better character development and far better story pacing...

Now this feels backwards - I assume that we are talking about the Hero that went on theatres here something like a year ago?

Anyway; I too think that it was the most beautiful film I have seen. I was not, however, convinced by the rest. If it had been a game it would have had jaw-dropping graphics (not only technically but also aesthetically) but only modest play-value.

When it gets cheap on DVD I will buy it for the visuals alone.

horvendile said:
Now this feels backwards - I assume that we are talking about the Hero that went on theatres here something like a year ago?

Anyway; I too think that it was the most beautiful film I have seen. I was not, however, convinced by the rest. If it had been a game it would have had jaw-dropping graphics (not only technically but also aesthetically) but only modest play-value.

When it gets cheap on DVD I will buy it for the visuals alone.

Not sure about the US, but Hero came out on the 24th September in the UK. At the movies.

I thought it was decent, overall. A little too artsy at some points, but it was a decent "kung fu movie".

Some things were spectacular, like the visuals and use of colors. The scenes with the leaves really stands out as one of the best looking scenes I've seen in a movie. The arrows were really cool to watch, but like dig said, it's just a "one hit wonder".

I've had it on DVD for almost a year already. Don't know if it is cut or not.
Funny, but this film seems to have been released at least in Scandinavia much earlier than in US and UK.
Visually the film was spectacular. But I'm not that much into these mythological asian fighting movies, so I only moderately enjoyed the story. Well coreographed long fighting scenes that have awesome camera work. Liked Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon better, if they can be compared.

Very good movie...Not as enjoyable as crouching tiger (probably b/c of the love story involved and the deceit)

but the movie itself is pretty lame and predictable.

I don't see where the predictability came in...you could not know exactly what is going to happen since the story changes each step of the way to find the "truth".

Speng.

That's too bad a lot of people don't like it. Zhang Yimou is one of China's greatest directors. I highly recommend checking out Shanghai Triad, one of his earlier films about the 1930's Shanghai Underworld. It's got Gong Li in it, who I believe also had a part in Hero. I haven't seen Hero yet, by the way, but I have it on DVD. I'll probably get around to it this weekend during the big National Day holiday.

This film was released last year in Malaysia. I thought the main idea of the movie was simply to play with colors with the three different versions of the truth. And that is basically what the film is about : three stories told in different hues. Some of the scenes were spectacular (the fight between the two girls, with Maggie Cheung dressed in a sumptuous bright red outfit, with the swirling wind and leaves, remains in my mind) but the acting was ho-hum (as I expect in any martial arts movie). Enjoyed it nonetheless.

Saw this movie a few months ago. I think it has too much visual effects.

I like the story a lot, especially the ending. The story reminds me of Akira Kurosawa's Rashamon. The use of different colors for different story perspectives are good, and the sceneries are beautiful. I really didn't expect a Chinese/HK movie will have visual effects this good, though IMO, a bit overdone. If the fighting scenes are a bit toned down, I'd like the movie more.

I give it 4/5 rating.

PS: Jet Lee (Jet Li) should stop making cheap American movies. Just stay in Asia and make good kung fu movies.

london-boy said:
Not sure about the US, but Hero came out on the 24th September in the UK. At the movies.

I think it premiered late 2002, maybe early 2003 in Scandinavia.

It was made two years ago in China, and has been released in staggered stages elsewhere in the world, which is why some people are just getting to it now.

I disagree with all the people that call "Hero" a martial arts / kung fu movie. IMO, it is a movie that happens to have martial arts in it, yes, but that doesn't make it a martial arts movie. And I think that's where a lot of the "meh"-attitude comes from, as it the type of film that these people ordinarily wouldn't watch --- were it not for the "martial arts" billing.

Back