Hercules is out of the game....

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by marco, Feb 25, 2004.

1. marco

Regular

Hot from Hercules:

Hercules is no more in the videocard market. The official pressrelease is not out yet, but I just got of the phone and was allowed to publish this around 4 (16.00 GMT+1).

They are also out of the LCD market. The word is that on the 3d market they got to little workspace to work with. ATI is not willing to let Hercules build products according to the Hercules way.

[update 2]
    But on the LCD market, high level LCD panels manufacturers (such as Samsung with whom Hercules don't work anymore since last year and Hydis = Hyundai displays with whom we were working) are keeping there lcd panels for there own brand lcd monitors. Which is quite normal.

So there isn't any restrictions from LCD manufacturers.
    The fact is that Hercules always targetted the high level consumer market
    with their monitors and as there are none high-level lcd panels anymore, Hercules could have bought mid- range or entry-level panels, but this wouldn't the answer the expectations of our core target.

The Hercules videocards always differed from others, by special BIOS, clockspeed and/or ramspeed. As you may have noticed is that Hercules ATI based products were not really different from other brands. The reason behind it was ATI.

[update 1]
    Hercules will still give full customer support as long as needed for their excisting customers. So if you have a Hercules board, no need to worry on warranty and other services.

[editor's note]
    There is nobody to blame here, as I can understand the way ATI works. From ATI's point of view is control very important. With control you are certain that your products are always on the same (high) level across the different vendors.

From Hercules point of view, I can understand that you want to differ yourself. The market is tough enough, how else would you survive? On pricepoint alone? That was not what Hercules was about.

2. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Hercules were always too expensive. Sure, you got games and flashy fans/heatsinks, but you paid a lot for them, and in the end, the performance was the same as any other similarly specced product.

3. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran Subscriber

It's a shame. But then, Hercules already went bankrupt in 1999 and were revived. Who knows, they may be back :)

4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Wow, I didn't see this coming at all...thanks for the info Marco! :)

5. marco

Regular

Hercules was bought by Guillemot when it went belly up.
    This is the new Hercules (owned by Guillemot) which we are talking about..

6. PatrickL

Veteran

But BZB is right about Hercules prices.

7. Tim Murray

Tim Murray the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
    Veteran

But... but... Series 5! Guess there's always Club3D... :(

8. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

And? It has nothing to do the fact ATI IS 'strong-handing' them.

On the other hand I can understand ATI as well: if for example Sapphire not allowed to make modified retail cards why a lot smaller Hercules should be?

9. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

(shrug) it's about making sure the product that bear your company name meets a certain standard. ATI had no problem with Hercules putting on copper heatsinks, Tyan doing major redesigns, or Sapphire doing their passive heatpipe. If ATI wouldn't allow Hercules to do something specific, chances are it was because ATI thought the end user was going to have problems with it.

10. Anonymous

Veteran

Maybe that's one of the reasons why Gigabyte went back to nVidia, they could do more with a card (don't they have a higher clocked special edition FX5950?)

My Hercules Radeon 9800 was the same priced as the other Radeon 9800's in that shop at that moment

11. micron

micron Diamond Viper 550
    Veteran

The Hercules cards were always good lookers...

12. cristic

Newcomer

I strongly second that opinion, and as far as I'm concerned the whole retail package looked better than what the other manufacturers where trying to sell. Especially the front picture on the box.

It's a shame there ain't no beauty contest for graphics cards... :D

13. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

:roll:

Of course... :roll: c'mon, which one is more likely?

1. ATI decided there's gonna be rules for card makers - and no exception

2. users complained about Hercules cards, forced ATI to explicitely rule out modifications for Hercules - which always had a VERY GOOD reputation

So?

:roll:

14. T2k

T2k
    Veteran

Yeah, I experienced the same as well... and even if they're selling for double price - what's the problem? Their business modell is thei business modell, that's all.

15. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

I think what's more likely is that Hercules found themselves unable to compete by selling overpriced cards with nice heatsinks - especially when other companies are making cards that are just as fast and significantly cheaper.

Maybe Hercules wanted to differentiate themselves by overclocking their cards to justify their price premium, and ATI said "no".

Fact is that if Hercules was making money like the other ATI card manufacturers, they wouldn't be getting out. Anyone who's tried to get presales info or pricing from Hercules knows they didn't do themselves any favours when dealing with customers, especially given their price premium.

16. Ichneumon

Regular

A number of different ATI card makers are coming up with ways to differentiate their cards from each other beyond just game bundle sorts of things.

ATI it seems *will not* let AIB partners change the BIOS on boards... meaning the partners cannot ship cards with different default clock speeds. i.e. even if they put memory that could run 50mhz faster than the reference, they couldn't have the default clocks take advantage of that. Having a customized BIOS with tweaked memory timings and clock speeds can help to differentiate cards and some vendors are more used to being able to do that than others....

There are board vendors working on some interesting ways to still differentiate their products however. :)

17. Fodder

Fodder Stealth Nerd
    Veteran

Strange, we get Gecube 'Extreme' and Powercolor 'Bravo' 9600XT cards with faster (2.5ns), higher clocked (340-360MHz) memory. Gecube also sold an 'Extreme' 9800 Pro, which was the same hardware but clocked higher.

18. Anonymous

Veteran

you evil bastard ;)

now i'll never get a V2200 based 8MB Thriller3D w/TV-Out to replace my V2100 DiamondMM* effort :(

*they went a long time ago too - if only these companies had stuck to putting jet fighters, ufos and explosions on their gfx card boxes they might still be around today ;)

19. Ichneumon

Regular

Are those cards based on the reference design? ATI may be more lenient these days if a vendor does their own custom board layout.

20. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Sure it is! It's just always in the image they produce, not what they're like physically. ;)