Henri Richard to leave AMD, HEXUS report

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by BrynS, Aug 22, 2007.

1. BrynS

Regular

Hexus is reporting that Henri Richard has resigned:

2. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

That's actually OT, since Richard is not ex-ATI.

Even so, :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm more shocked by that than if Hector and Dirk were forced to resign by the board. My impression has been that Richard is really the guy that gets stuff done around there.

3. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Well his job being to "gets stuff done around there" and the fact that they really haven't gotten much done lately well might go a long way to explaining his "retirement".

4. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Actually, "scapegoat" was the phrase that came to mind. YMMV. But if you're saying that everything will be bright and rosy now that he's gone, well glad to hear it.

5. B3D News

B3D News Beyond3D News
    Regular

HEXUS are reporting that Henri Richard, Executive VP and Chief Sales and Marketing Officer, is to leave AMD on September 8th

Read the full news item

6. vertex_shader

Banned

Great, looks like cleanup is running in the good way.

7. BrynS

Regular

It'll be interesting to see how this is spun by AMD, e.g. 'amicable move', 'Henri's pursuiing his own interests/wants to spend more time with the family/etc' or whether it'll be more telling in its ambiquity/lack of detail or praise.

The timing of Orton's resignation and now Richard's could suggest that they want to appease those calling for change at the highest level, while not appearing panicked by changing a number of high-profile appointments within a very short space of time or all at once.

8. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

Does it mean they are going to start doing soft launches from now on?

9. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

I don't think Orton & Richard's resignation are connected at all.

Didn't you notice the timing of Orton's resignation? One year almost to the day of AMD's take over of ATi...

I think Orton's resignation was planned/agreed on in a year as part of the buy-out plan. I think Richard's "resignation" could be for some of the batshit crazy statements he's been making. :???:

10. Geeforcer

Geeforcer Harmlessly Evil
    Veteran

I am with Digi... Henri's dabbling in PR since the merger has been either an embarrassing disaster or disastrous embarrassment. He must count his lucky stars that the company didn't get hit with multiple class action suits because of him.

11. BrynS

Regular

Yeah, I'd go along with the thought that Orton could have potentially specified only staying on for 12 months or so as a small proviso for the deal last year and can appreciate the stated reasoning (logistics, impact on family, etc) for his resignation.

I think that it may link in with the timing of Richard's resignation only in that as much as AMD probably would have wanted to avoid any high-level resignations over the past six months, as their bottom line and stated execution targets have increasingly been battered, the pressure for a senior scalp goes up -- if Orton's decision was made last year it may have made the timing of another senior resignation awkward less they risk a 2-for-1 discharge which could appear worse.

Perhaps Richard has caused too much friction of late or actually just wants to move on; if so, bad timing I'd say -- wouldn't it be better to leave just after the Barcelona launch, not just before it?

12. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Alternate theory: If you're going to try for a coup, then your prepartory moves will include trying to strip away the Leader's supporters in key positions ahead of time. Isolate him first.

13. INKster

Veteran

Are you hinting at a straight take-over by an "outside force" ? :wink:
    Or is it a classic inside job ?

14. Voltron

Newcomer

According to the Wall Street Journal he is leaving to take another job. That's a pretty good indication he wasn't forced out. And considering AMD's problems are cross-functional, if the board was looking for blood and had much sense they would probably look at the man at the helm. Not necessarily deploring Ruiz, just saying that would be a logical starting point if the board felt the company was being mismanaged.

15. GMâ„¢

Newcomer

AMD don't seem to be worried about losing quite a lot of talented people. Are Intel still hiring for the GFX team? They could get some really talented people at the moment and I should imagine they need them.

16. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

What would you expect to happen? A statement from Richard blasting internal enemies, etc? C'mon, that's not the way the game is played at that level.

Boards don't switch all at once, usually. At this point I think there's a very good chance that Hector will be gone by the end of the year, and either the CFO or Meyer will be acting head of the company (tho of course Meyer might go at the same time). If you asked me when this would be most likely to happen, I'd say right around 3Q results time.

Unless the Barcelona launch and reception is much stronger than the sense I'm getting from most people who follow this stuff.

17. cadaveca

Newcomer

I'm with you too, geo, but not about Meyer.

:runaway:

Nothing to do with his work ethic, he just seems a bit soft for executive positioning. I like him better as engineer...

18. INKster

Veteran

[H] has the word -literally :D- on the internal memo:

http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=Mjc2NDgsLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdCwsLDE=

19. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Rivet would be my favorite as well, at least "interim". Flinty-eyed financial sensibility, but still knows the business well. Then he makes the tough decisions and a new CEO gets to be the white knight.

20. BrynS

Regular

AMD Press Release