Help with ATI Tool and HIS x800 XT PE IceQ II poor overclock

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by overclocked_enthusiasm, Sep 11, 2004.

1. overclocked_enthusiasm

Regular

Hey guys, I could really use some help. Just got me new card installed and am having problems trying to OC it. Here is my setup:

P4 3.06 GHZ @ 3.45 GHz
    1.5 G of PC1066 RDRAM
    P4T533-C mobo
    Thermaltake 560 w PSU
    Catalyst 4.9's without the new ATI console

When running TI Tool I get a max core of 526.5 and a max memory of 562.5. These numbers suck and I made sure to have temporal AA off. I am setting the length of the scan at 300 seconds to find the max clocks otherwise it looks like it will run forever and take both the core and memory down BELOW default (520/560) levels. The overdrive function on the ATI control panel takes the core up to 526 and I have no idea what it does to the memory.

Here are my questions:

1. Am I setting the scan for too short a duration at 300 seconds?
    2. If the max core/memory clocks end up lower than the default 520/560 after running "find max" for a really long time, is the card defective?
    3. Max load during ATI Tool testing is 61 Celsius. How is that?
    4. Is there another testing utility besides ATI Tool to check for max clocks?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. 101998

Newcomer

Why do you need to o/c this card in the first place?

You could try and cranking the fan speed up to 100% and see if that helps the core o/c. Usually I have rthdribl open and do a visual check for artifacts rather than the atitool scan thingie. 560 on the ram is not bad IMO.

3. jvd

jvd
    Banned

i use ati tool myself . It works well

4. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

IF you are trying to use ATI Tools built in artifact checker for overclocks.... STOP IT!!! It's defective! It's not your card, it's ATI Tool! Go back to the old tried and true methods of taking your time ay a few mhz at a time.... don't be so lazy! :wink:

5. jvd

jvd
    Banned

its not defective. You just have to make sure u get it on a good run , sometimes it works very well .

Just don't put your faith into it . It tells me i get artifacts at 600. but in games it doesn't happen till 620mhz on the core

6. martrox

martrox Old Fart
    Veteran

Maybe I've used the wrong words. How bout, not accurate, cannot be trusted....... :wink:

7. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

Jvd,

If the artifact tester says you're getting artifacts at 600, you're getting artifacts at 600, you just can't see them with the naked eye until you hit 620. Why else do you think it would say you're getting artifacts at 600 but not below? :p

Also, the artifact tester isn't foolproof because all it does is render that hairy cube, I tuned up my Pro a bit and got no artifacts in the tester, yet Farcry suddenly borked out on me twice for no reason (ended up right back at the desktop). That only happened when I ran the card at such a high speed. Also, Unreal 2 hung during the end of a level load, but that might be the game, it's a pile of shite anyway.

Best way to detect OC errors is to run a LARGE variety of games on the card, broader the better, and preferably complex games are even better too, but not always. I made Diablo 2 crash my old 400MHz box when I overclocked the ATi Rage128 Pro card too much, even though Quake 2 amongst other games ran perfectly. Also, DVD acceleration was more sensitive to overclocking than the 3D pipeline and gave red and blue stray pixels, then hung the computer after a while. Also, games that run really fast and draws hundreds of frames per second will load the GPU in different ways than games that only draws a few/couple dozen per second. Test with older software too as high throughput in the chip might stress different areas of the chip, cause hot-spots to build up in other areas or load other critical signal paths.

Thus, make sure you test EVERYTHING - to the best of your ability -before concluding a particular speed is stable, and don't adjust both core and mem at the same time, or worse, vidcard core/mem speed and main RAM speed and main RAM timings and CPU speed and bus speed and PCI speed and AGP speed and contact lens color and breakfast cereal flavor and milk in your coffee/no milk, etc etc etc. ;)

Do it one parameter at a time. Yes, it's a damn bother, but much better than your box suddenly starting to hardlock and you have no idea why or whose fault it is or even where to start looking for the problem. ;)

To Overclocked:

Is your case very hot? You don't mention this. Also, try installing a PCI cardbay cooler above your expansion slots, see if that helps.

Too bad you think your overclocking sucks, but you only get what you get when overclocking, it's not an exact science. See it as a freebie bonus, you're not buying your product after how much you hope/expect it will overclock, are you? ;) If that is the case, you're setting yourself up for a disappointment.

As for your question number 2; maybe. It depends. Let the "detect errors" thingy sit there and run for a good while when you are NOT overclocking. Does it still detect errors? (There should be none, of course.) If there ARE errors even at stock speed you may have too high case temperature (add more fans), or perhaps the cooler is not properly mated with the core of the GPU, or the videocard is simply dodgy; borderline core or slightly defective memory for instance.

Question 4: like I said, don't rely on a single tool to find the max clock. Do it the old-fashioned way by running (many) games.

8. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

ATItool gives you a general ballpark, but the tester just doesn't stress the card like full apps do. The tester would give me no errors at high clocks, but run 3DMark for a few minutes and I'd get artifacts or lockups at those same settings. Back the settings down and everything was fine, so it seems to me that ATITool's tester just doesn't work the card as hard as it needs to.

9. overclocked_enthusiasm

Regular

Thanks for the responses guys. I used Radlinker when I had my 9700 Pro and did it the old fashioned way to set my overclock. To answer a few questions posed to me:

1. I have 4 fans in my case (plus 2 more CPU and GPU)
    2. I have a top of the line Swiftech heatsink on my CPU with fan
    3. The GPU already has an Artic Silencer on it (IceQ II)
    4. My motherboard monitor says highest case temp is 31 celsius
    5. Highest CPU and GPU temp is 61 celsius
    6. ATI Tool seems to "scan for artifcats" at stock speeds OK for about 10 minutes then starts over. Is it supposed to run for a specific amount of time or is it supposed to keep running?

Are my temps within nominal range?

Thanks again...

10. jvd

jvd
    Banned

well its a problem with the tool as sometimes i don't get artifacts till 650mhz but thats rare adn sometimes i get artifacts at a 500mhz (below stock)

But i normaly play doom3 , farcry , eq2 , warhammer , warcraft3 , tribes vengance , ultima 9 to test out and if i get no v isable artifacts then i'm fine.

This is on stock cooling btw. I keep it at defaults till i get my ati silencer 4. Then i will most likely stick to 600 or 620 but nothing higher.

11. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

61 degrees on CPU with high-end cooler is quite a lot unless your case fans are of the silent variety rather than performance. It's not a problem though, you should be perfectly within the temperature envelope of the chip, and same with the GPU too.

The artifact detector's counter starts over whenever it detects an error, I don't think it resets every 10 minutes on its own. I've not let it run that long so I don't know for sure but I wouldn't think it does, my box has been artifact-free for at least 4 mins and then my patience ran out. :p

Nominal, yeah, though not ideal. Then again, to reach ideal temps requires many noisy fans, and you probably wouldn't want to sit in the same room as that box anymore.

12. overclocked_enthusiasm

Regular

Thanks everyone for your comments.