Help Needed Building Computer.

StarShoe

Newcomer
Hi,

I have a SLI Asus motherboard and it has the 24 pin socket but my 480 w power supply only has a 20 pin connector for it. I was told that it does not matter so I just plugged my 20 pin connector from the power supply to the 24 pin socket on the motherboard. However, my computer does not work, I get a blank screen upon power on. I also have one PCI-express video card that I'm using. My question is, was I told wrong? I do need a 24 pin connector or maybe the problem lies elsewhere.

well, it's possible that the problem lies elsewhere, but the best course of action would be to get a 20-to-24 pin converter first.

Hmm, I don't want to spend any money buying a converter unless I'm absolutely sure that the problem lies elsewhere. Anybody know for sure?

StarShoe said:
Hmm, I don't want to spend any money buying a converter unless I'm absolutely sure that the problem lies elsewhere. Anybody know for sure?
it's either power, ram, or ivideo card. power's obviously the first place to start.

I can't imagine the convertor will cost that much, and it's probably good to have anyway. Maybe the video card isn't getting enough power b/c of the four missing pins? Do you have a PCI (not PCIe) video card to test with? Does the HD spin up? The optical drive, if a disk is in? The fans?

Can you actually buy a 20 to 24 pin power supply converter?
Or in other words can you get a ATX 1.3v PSU and change into an ATX 2.0v by using a converter?

StarShoe,

Hope this helps,

I found a 4-pin power connector near the PCI-Express x16 slot on A8N-SLI Deluxe/Premium. What is it for?

The connector is an ASUS patented feature called EZ Plug. It serves as a dedicated power source for PCI Express devices.
Benefits of the connector:

- Enhance system stability: Dedicated power support for the high power consumptions of the VGA cards.
- Flexibility: Users don't need to buy a 24-pin PSU when they setup a SLI system. A high-wattage 20-pin PSU will work just fine.
- Compatibility: The dedicated power support for PCIvExpress slots preserves the integrity of power signal, and upholds the compatibility of PCI Express and PCI devices.
http://www.asus.com/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=100091347

You can pick up a converter cable for about $10 Aus.
20_24_converter.jpg

StarShoe said:
Hi,

I have a SLI Asus motherboard and it has the 24 pin socket but my 480 w power supply only has a 20 pin connector for it. I was told that it does not matter so I just plugged my 20 pin connector from the power supply to the 24 pin socket on the motherboard. However, my computer does not work, I get a blank screen upon power on. I also have one PCI-express video card that I'm using. My question is, was I told wrong? I do need a 24 pin connector or maybe the problem lies elsewhere.

YOu sure you din't miss plug something like the floppy connector?

Back