Help - Itunes isn't recognising my iPhone

So, I have a jailbroken 3GS running 4.0.1 and about two or three weeks ago all my music and videos just disappeared from the iPod app on the phone (it shows 'No Content' - however it doesn't seem to have freed up any space from the phone's internal memory).

If I try to resync the music by connecting to iTunes, while there's no problem with iTunes noticing that an iphone is connected, it doesn't seem to be able to recognise it as the already being synced to this PC and instead presents me with the 'Set up new iPhone' screen.

Any ideas on how to fix the issue without restoring my phone (my last sync was more than a month ago) will be greatly appreciated?

You know, I really wish I could help you, but I think the problem is iTunes, which is a monumental pile of CRAP. What I personally think happened is (and you're free to disregard this of course, lol) is iTunes noticed you have a jailbroken phone, and decided to be a b!tch. So now you're stuck. I'm sorry.

God(s) know I've cursed enough about itunes and its unwillingness to synch apps between multiple computers, so at this point I've run out of goodwill towards that particular program.

You know, I really wish I could help you, but I think the problem is iTunes, which is a monumental pile of CRAP. What I personally think happened is (and you're free to disregard this of course, lol) is iTunes noticed you have a jailbroken phone, and decided to be a b!tch. So now you're stuck. I'm sorry.

God(s) know I've cursed enough about itunes and its unwillingness to synch apps between multiple computers, so at this point I've run out of goodwill towards that particular program.

Yes, I agree that iTunes is a pile of crap but iPhone users are stuck with using it.

And i'm running only iTunes 9.2.1.5, which is a year old (I deliberately stop it from updating to prevent any compatibility issues with my phone, which is running 4.0.1) - I haven't had this problem before so I don't think it's due to iTunes.

It seems to be that something on the phone changed perhaps a DRM/ user ID issue as my music disappeared and I connected to iTunes to try and fix that issue.

You could wait for iOS 5 to get jailbroken, if you like jailbreaking, and then you won't need iTunes anymore for anything... Not that that's any help to you NOW though. :(

You could try contacting Apple support about your missing music and just neglect to mention you jailbroke your phone... :devilish: Not sure what they can do about it, but if it's some DRM issue maybe there's a fix they know about that can correct it.

i put some music on an ipod for somene but didnt want to install itunes so i used an alternative called
CopyTrans Manager maybe try that

Yea, I know about CopyTrans, but the problem is that the music still seems to be on my phone in that it's taking up disk space, it just seems to have been corrupted somehow (or some other ID thing has been corrupted) and so it doesn't appear in the iPod app.

And I don't know how waiting for iOS 5 to get jailbroken will help as iTunes doesn't recognise my phone and so doesn't give me the option to update OS - the only option I have when connected is either 'set up as new iPhone' or to restore from my previous backup (which will remove the jailbroken firmware as well as deleting everything I've changed in the past month and a half)

It's quite funny how you blame iTunes when it is clearly the jailbroken iPhone that's the problem.

You have to restore the iPhone and jailbreak it again.

have you tried it on a pc that has never had any apple/itunes stuff installed so it shows up as standard usb drive ?

Back